Suggestions out of these titles

Thatcomicguy

I've nearly finished the two current VN's I'm on *Kamidori Alchemy Meister and Hadaka Shitsuji* and I'm torn between the few recent VN's I've bought or ones I've had on my buried in my backlog for awhile. So out instead of listing all 90+ I've narrowed it down to these what do you guys think I should read first? Or better yet put in an order to be read?

We have:

A Clockwork Ley-Line The Borderline of Duskleyline

Cho Dengkei Stryker

Fate Stay Night

Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star 

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

PSYCHO-PASS Mandatory Happiness

Saku Saku

Muv-Luv

2 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Fate Stay Night

Absolutely should be first

Because of the visual novels I have played it's the best

I've heard really good things from it and I've seen it's popularity grow outside of VN fans into the mainstream so I'm assuming it was made into a show or something.

Its been in my backlog awhile, but with it's length I thought to hold off for awhile and blow through some of my smaller 2-10 to 20-30 hours ones just to reduce the list a bit. It didn't really work as most where so mediocre that I've stalled on them and just moved on so now might be the time to finally take a crack at it.

Just now, Thatcomicguy said:

I've heard really good things from it and I've seen it's popularity grow outside of VN fans into the mainstream so I'm assuming it was made into a show or something.

Its been in my backlog awhile, but with it's length I thought to hold off for awhile and blow through some of my smaller 2-10 to 20-30 hours ones just to reduce the list a bit. It didn't really work as most where so mediocre that I've stalled on them and just moved on so now might be the time to finally take a crack at it.

Yeah it's popularity has exploded in recent years it has had manga, anime, games, the whole shebang

It is lengthy but it is something that you can work through, it's not near as arduous as Clannad to get through and it is pretty fast paced once it gets going.

5 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Yeah it's popularity has exploded in recent years it has had manga, anime, games, the whole shebang

It is lengthy but it is something that you can work through, it's not near as arduous as Clannad to get through and it is pretty fast paced once it gets going.

I enjoy reading Manga so I might try find it if there's an English release if I enjoy the VN.

Man Clannad I've clocked in over 100 hours on that and still haven't finished the after story haha, though to be fair that's more due to me not liking Nagisa and having the ending spoilt more than anything so that's been on hold for a few months haha.

I enjoy long VN's when they're done well like Majikoi and Grisaia no Kajitsu, I didn't realise how long I actually spent on them until I was finished as they where both addicting and well paced... besides that Amane route in Grisaia but we don't talk about that black sheep haha.

Let's see. I think just in case you want some slice of life then I guess I could recommend Saku Saku (Seconded HMN) because it was the shortest VNs out of those choice (At least back when it was released). As for Psycho Pass, looking at the score it might be just a mediocre one although feel free to try though. if you interested with Fate feel free to try that in the future, although keep in mind that perhaps it would be better if you didn't search any info in regard of Fate yet, because we have too much spoiler out there. Have fun.

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Let's see. I think just in case you want some slice of life then I guess I could recommend Saku Saku (Seconded HMN) because it was the shortest VNs out of those choice (At least back when it was released). As for Psycho Pass, looking at the score it might be just a mediocre one although feel free to try though. if you interested with Fate feel free to try that in the future, although keep in mind that perhaps it would be better if you didn't search any info in regard of Fate yet, because we have too much spoiler out there. Have fun.

I was looking forward to reading Saku Saku in the lead up to it's release, but then when it came out I saw people here mentioning that both Saku and Hoshizora still had quite a bit of there content still not translated. Probably due to both being released on the same day to get them out of the door before the holidays. I'm not sure if that's true or not but it made me hold off until now. 

14 hours ago, Thatcomicguy said:

I was looking forward to reading Saku Saku in the lead up to it's release, but then when it came out I saw people here mentioning that both Saku and Hoshizora still had quite a bit of there content still not translated. Probably due to both being released on the same day to get them out of the door before the holidays. I'm not sure if that's true or not but it made me hold off until now. 

The one that have problem with untranslated text was Tokeijikake (A Clockwork in Leyline) by the way, while for Saku Saku at least there's no problem in regard of untranslated text from what I saw. So I would say you could safely play Saku Saku without worrying the untranslated text.

PS - For the correction, both of Tokeijikake and Hoshimemo were released at the same day (December 18th, 2017) before the holiday.

Edited by littleshogun

HoshiMemo didn't have "quite a bit of content not translated". It had, IIRC, five untranslated lines across probably a 40,000-50,000 line game. I think Leyline had more, but IIRC it was on the order of 30 lines? At any rate, you can read my review to see why, but I definitely wouldn't recommend HoshiMemo... Muv Luv Alternative is legendary, but Muv Luv is supposed to be kind of a slog. I'd still probably pick Muv Luv, among those, since eventually you'll get to Alternative and have a great time with it. Fate/Stay Night is legendary, too, and that one I can personally say I enjoyed.

Edited by Fred the Barber

12 hours ago, littleshogun said:

PS - For the correction, both of Tokeijikake and Hoshimemo were released at the same day (December 18th, 2017) before the holiday.

Ahh. You're right and to think I was the one that started the thread when Denpasoft released both of those on the same day, so it's pretty weird I got those mixed up haha. I'll probably start with Saku Saku then and then Fate/Stay Night as I don't fancy coming off a 50+ hour VN just to jump right into another one.

12 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

HoshiMemo didn't have "quite a bit of content not translated". It had, IIRC, five untranslated lines across probably a 40,000-50,000 line game. I think Leyline had more, but IIRC it was on the order of 30 lines? At any rate, you can read my review to see why, but I definitely wouldn't recommend HoshiMemo... Muv Luv Alternative is legendary, but Muv Luv is supposed to be kind of a slog. I'd still probably pick Muv Luv, among those, since eventually you'll get to Alternative and have a great time with it. Fate/Stay Night is legendary, too, and that one I can personally say I enjoyed.

I see and that's useful to know. I just read your review and you raise some really good points, I'll most likely put HoshiMemo and Leyline on the back burner for now then I make my way through recommendations I've been given.

Thanks for the info both of you.