Test your English vocabulary

Thyndd

So there's this website that is supposed to give you an estimate on how many English words you know. I don't know how accurate it can be, but since it'll only take a few minutes it can't hurt to give it a try.

As a non-native speaker, this is my result. 

Native speakers, according to them, are supposed to know between 20k and 35k words. For those of you who have English as L1, does it match?

Also very important, as the site tells you, please refrain yourself from selecting words that only look familiar. Pick only those whose meaning you know for sure, otherwise it isn't meaningful.

I think I have seen this website before but I don't remember my result back then. This is my result now. Actually I expected much more out of myself but then again I haven't been improving my English at all for almost 2 years now. Not to mention that my vocabulary use has become quite questionable recently. Hopefully all of that can just be solved by reading moar :sachi:

Edited by hsmsful

My result.

I used to study english pretty hard, when I was younger. Now it's nothing but a faint memory. Might be the fact, that despite not being a native english speaker, I began very early and was exposed to english all the time from cartoons when I was a kid (thanks, Cartoon Network), through comics and literature later on. I had quite skilled teachers in my middle/high school as well and they actually wanted to teach us stuff, which I'm really grateful for.

Comparatively to my vocabulary, my english speaking skills are rather rusty and poor, to be honest.

Edited by Narcosis

Wow so many of you seem to have a huge vocabulary. I guess that's to be expected here, where people obviously read a lot. In comparison mine feels really poor :yumiko: But oh well, 3 years ago my English was catastrophically bad, so I'm improving at my pace :leecher:

Keep it coming bois!

I've actually got the exact same result as Mr Poltroon: http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=9512217

It's been literally a decade since I've last attended any kind of English class, but I simply watch, read and write stuff in English everyday, so it had to be on decent level at this point. If only I was able to put that "rich vocabulary" into practice, that would be awesome. It somehow doesn' t work that way though.  :D I generally have very little talent for learning languages and only got this far by sheer length and intensity of using English in my studies and hobbies.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=9512272

Not too bad for a non native speaker. I'm generally bad at languages (really bad), but since learning it at an early age, english just won't go away.

I'd really want to learn Japanese, though given that I've been too busy to take classes and too stupid to learn for myself, it is very unlikely.

24 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I generally have very little talent for learning languages and only got this far by sheer length and intensity of using English in my studies and hobbies.

5 minutes ago, alden_0023 said:

I'd really want to learn Japanese, though given that I've been too busy to take classes and too stupid to learn for myself, it is very unlikely.

Come on guys, a little more of self-confidence. I don't think there is such thing as a human being naturally bad at languages (leaving aside brain impairments). I'm the one who has the least vocab so far and I'm doing pretty good studying a bunch of languages on my own, including Japanese. 

Languages are a ton of fun. Learning thousands of words, maybe not so much though :makina:

6 hours ago, Zander said:

Actually, I use my sister, who speaks English fluently, as a translator. I communicate to her through interpretive dance, which she then converts into posts for me.

This actually explains a lot! :o

7 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Come on guys, a little more of self-confidence. I don't think there is such thing as a human being naturally bad at languages (leaving aside brain impairments). I'm the one who has the least vocab so far and I'm doing pretty good studying a bunch of languages on my own, including Japanese. 

Languages are a ton of fun. Learning thousands of words, maybe not so much though :makina:

I'm dyslectic, my ortography is horrible in every language I use and I often struggle with grammar, even though I spend decent part of every day reading, including academic texts, and writing (both in Polish and English). I also have very poor visual memory (those kanji...). Relatively low English vocabulary definitely also comes from my lack of dedication in earlier years of learning and little interest in fiction literature or poetry, but in general there are important factors that can influence how hard it is for you to learn and how fast you make progress.

Obviously, hard, systematic work is always the prime component of success and learning new languages definitely is fun (I have a lot of joy learning Japanese now...). But its really not the same experience for everyone. :>

http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=9514825

The number doesn't tell me much, but looking at the range for native speakers I suppose it's about what to expect. I like reading, but often words tend to make enough sense in their context without really knowing the definition, or any definition for that matter. 

Edited by atorq