Do you read Bad Endings or Leave them?

Thatcomicguy

44 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Was just an assumption since the game had no ending.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it was a budget problem. I won't be able to look into it right now, but I think it was to have a third route where the mystery was solved, but the game ended with only two routes instead. It ended, there is a closure of sorts, but many, many things are left to the fans to speculate.

If someone else knows more about this, I'm also curious :P

Edited by Silvz

29 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it was a budget problem. I won't be able to look into it right now, but I think it was to have a third route where the mystery was solved, but the game ended with only two routes instead. It ended, there is a closure of sorts, but many, many things are left to the fans to speculate.

If someone else knows more about this, I'd love to know I'

That's a pretty big deciding factor if people will bother starting to read it though. For me then mysteries comes second and character endings come first. While it may annoy me to end a vn where mysteries are unsolved, i can live with it as long as i get a good ending for the characters.

31 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

That's a pretty big deciding factor if people will bother starting to read it though. For me then mysteries comes second and character endings come first. While it may annoy me to end a vn where mysteries are unsolved, i can live with it as long as i get a good ending for the characters.

You'd not like Remember11, but probably would the other two games of the series  (Never7 and Ever17), so give them a look :D Remember11 IS a good game, and could have been way better for me if it weren't for this. I do like it and recommend it even, but readers have to be aware of this fact before trying it.

And, to stay on topic, there is still the fact that some bad endings - one is necessary to understand the game - are pretty boring to get to.

1 minute ago, Silvz said:

And, to stay on topic, there is still the fact that some bad endings - one is necessary to understand the game - are pretty boring to get to.

Like the Yui extra end on Corpse Party, It was pretty annoying to get.

I usually skip them. But sometimes I read. It's very relative, depends on the title, mood and type. For example, I read all Tokyo Babel's endings, good and bad, on the other side I skipped almost all bad endings of Fate/Stay Night. Sometimes I'm just not interested, but sometimes the kind of things I can see if I go the bad ending way can make me avoid it. Otherwise yeah, it can be interesting if I'm up to it.

For Remember11, I remember that in Gamefaqs there's one theory of why it was incomplete. Apparently at that time of development both of Uchikoshi and Nakazawa did have some fight in regard of how should the story goes, and there's planned third route as well. I think by the time they managed to finish the fight, there's no time enough for Nakazawa (He was already separated from Uchikoshi at that time) to finished the third chapter while the deadline was near, so he decided to release Remember 11 as it is. Keep in mind that it was inaccurate data, and therefore might be wrong.

Bad end? As far as concerned I didn't play bad end much, because usually most of those were probably just short scene which depict MC death though (Or MC didn't get the girl) with some exception. Speaking about example, I remember that Chaos Head did have some very disturbing one and also interesting is quite hard to get - need to play twice and pay attention to delusion meter. In the end, guess it'll be based on my mood whether I'll play bad end or not, although perhaps I should play it if only for 100% completion.

Edited by littleshogun

1 minute ago, Strike105X said:

It depends, if its a vn i read for the story and characters which i get hooked on i don't go for bad endings (ex. g-senjou no maou, majikoi, da capo etc), if its something eros related (like something from the taimanin series), i do explore all scenarios.

The majority of the end content of the Taimanin series are bad ends, so, it is only fair xoD

It depends I guess. Not all VNs treat bad endings the same way. In most of them, they are short and rushed, making it feel like something that doesn't really belong to the main story and wasn't actually supposed to happen. In such cases I'd rather skip them.

But obviously, I cannot tell beforehand how the bad ending it's going to be. For that I have to trust other people. If many insist on it being worth it, then I go for it.

Edited by Thyndd

On 15/01/2018 at 10:40 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Uuuuh... It's a tough one.

When I'm reading a VN for some time, I usually get deeply, emotionally involved and seeing a really bad conclusion can f*** me up in serious ways, like make me lose sleep and be emotionally broken for a day or two. The better the story, the more being surprised by something really bad/disturbing will influence me. So, I only approach bad endings in "controlled environment", when I'm in the right mood and knowing more or less what I'm getting into. Otherwise, it would just wouldn't be worth it (especially when I rarely can afford to be barely functional for longer periods of time).

Most of the time I read VNs to relax and escape sad parts of my reality so tragedy is not really what I'm looking for, I can be very much ok with it in the middle of the story, but I pretty much need that slither of hope at the end. :)

This was the best comment I've seen mentioned here so far as one it shows I'm not really in the minority for skipping most Haha. But more importantly covers another point that I forgot to mention in the OG post, which is a big reason why I skipped Bad ends when I first started reading VN's and still do it to this day. As especially a lot last year, where most of the VN's I was reading where pretty heavy stuff even in the good ends (Looking at you Euphoria... though that true ending did pay it off pretty well)  so it made me less inclined to read the bad ends especially like mentioned above if you've grown attached to these characters. 

Characters like our Goddess :michiru: haha.

Edited by Thatcomicguy

6 minutes ago, Thatcomicguy said:

This was the best comment I've seen mentioned here so far as one it shows I'm not really in the minority for skipping most Haha. But more importantly covers another point that I forgot to mention in the OG post, which is a big reason why I skipped Bad ends when I first started reading VN's and still do it to this day. As especially a lot last year, where most of the VN's I was reading where pretty heavy stuff even in the good ends (Looking at you Euphoria... though that true ending did pay it off pretty well)  so it made me less inclined to read the bad ends especially like mentioned above if you've grown attached to these characters. 

Characters like our Goddess :michiru: haha.

This is why I always get the bad ones first, 'cause I get the sensation of "Somefin' horrible happened, but the good end is next." 

Edited by Guest

Typically, I tend to skip bad endings unless they actual add something to the storyline, unlock a secret route, or unlock achievements of some sort. It feels like a lot of bad ends are there just to increase the number of endings of the game, and are typically just a "game over"! Also, if I have an emotionally investment in the characters, I don't really like to see them suffer... :( 

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

And sometimes bad endings is the reason i wont even bother with a vn. Looking at you Demonbane!

Wait, but from what I know demonbane only have two bad ends.

2 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

It has a sick ntr ending for the main heroine if im not mistaken

Makes Sense. Also I thought demonbane didn't have a main heroine...

NTR ends are distastiful.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Makes Sense. Also I thought demonbane didn't have a main heroine...

NTR ends are distastiful.

Well, i havent read it, but i thought that pink haired girl waa the main heroine. Only done some light digging, bur when i see netorare tag then i wont even bother.

42 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Well, i havent read it, but i thought that pink haired girl waa the main heroine. Only done some light digging, bur when i see netorare tag then i wont even bother.

Well you can always skip the bad end, but, It is your choice.

• 1 month later...

I have a kind of collector syndrome, so I need to unlock all CGS and read all the scenes, also I enjoy bad endings because bad choices give you bad times, also that way is more rewarding the good/true ending. And, if possible, I choice bad endings at endgame than between chapters, like Corpse Party, ugh

I still remember my first trauma over a bad ending, Mink's bad ending from Dramatical Murder was just savage. Oh, :reconect and all that expansion over the bad endings was great I love Kojaku's one

So far, I've skipped bad endings when I've had a choice in the matter. I've stumbled into a few bad endings blindly. Most of them of the "nonsensical game over" variety, but also that bad end from Clannad...

Spoiler

.... which was basically an unrequited love triangle ending....

I'm glad I skipped the bad endings from Grisaia. Apparently, from what I've read....

Spoiler

Michiru's bad ending is nightmare fuel, especially since she was the character I cared the most about. Basically, that was a fate worse then death....

On 1/15/2018 at 4:38 PM, Dergonu said:

Man, I love bad endings. I never skip them, unless they are just pointless "nothing happened" ends, that are used in moege/ charage sometimes.

But bad ends with a few CGs and some actual story? Sign me up! I normally play bad ends first, actually, before the good ends.

I really like reading/writing bad endings.

I think they're a great place to put extra depth and story.

One of my favorite techniques, actually, is to never be too obvious with story. You can spread clues all over the place to create hidden depth and things to find and "discover" on subsequent playthroughs.