Favourite Foods

Amethyst

I think it's no secret I like food after a previous thread I have made so today I wanted to share some of my favourite foods in hopes others can show me theirs! Since the day I realised my metabolism was  higher than those around me, I began to test all kinds of foods that were recommended to me or I stumbled upon (I still watch my weight just in case)! Forgive me for using stock images, they look so much better than my own ones

Tonkotsu Ramen with Chashu Pork

What isn't there to love about this dish? The rich flavour of the thick tonkotsu soup, the Japanese soft-boiled egg, the juicy pork. Simply one of my favourite foods! (btw I like my ramen slightly harder for that extra bite to the dish)

Spoiler

ramen-soup-_3_.jpg

Chicken Pad Thai

There's something special about this stir-fried dish. The first time I was recommended this, I was a little skeptical about the incredibly dull colour and blend of ingredients I couldn't quite make out. However, the balanced flavour of slightly sweet and slightly savoury made me a quick fan of this fairly popular Thai dish.

Spoiler

pad-thai.jpg

Filled Pide

Again, another food that, at first glance, I was quite skeptical about. However, upon my first bite, the hot bread, filled with aromas, coupled with the rich flavour of the beef and mushrooms within my pide opened my eyes to what would become a weekly delight.

Spoiler

kapali-pide-ramazan

Mushroom and Bacon/Smoked Salmon Boscaiola 

I think we can see a pattern by now... This incredibly rich and creamy savoury dish is something I crave eternally whether the flavours or the feeling as if the sauce was still melting, even when it reaches your mouth. Whether it's the fattier bacon or lean and slightly more refined smoked salmon variant, I can not do without mushrooms in my boscaiola as they add what I have come to know is one of the most important parts of this dish. (btw I like using linguine for this dish the most)

Spoiler

5e7664b3c75a6843c663710b6b2ad37a.jpg

Wild Berries Belgian Waffles

It's only fitting I end with my favourite dessert and guilty pleasure.. The Belgian Waffle! The combination of the steaming hot waffle with my cold berries and cream/ice cream creates something that brings me indescribable joy. This combination also combines the sweet and the sour, bringing quite a bit of depth to a fairly simple dessert.

Spoiler

Belgian-Waffles-4.jpg

There would have been way more things I could add to this list but I think that's enough for now. I might add things later but in the meantime, please tell me some of your favourite foods and why you love them :) 

P.S. The making of this post made me hungry...

My Special Lasagna

I use a meat sauce of stewed tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms, brown sugar, salt (small amounts), black olives, garlic, oregano, italian sausage, pork belly, and canadian bacon.  I fill each layer of the lasagna with a mix of cheeses utilizing 1/5 ricotta, 1/5 shredded parmesan/romano mix, 1/5 provolone, and 2/5 whole milk mozzarella.  I then spoon the sauce over the top of the formed casserole until it is swimming in it before topping it with a layer made up of 1/3 provolone, 1/6 parmesan/romano, 1/6 swiss, and 1/3 mozzarella (in other words, I avoid sharp cheeses with lasagna).  I then bake it once, let it sit for about four hours in the fridge before taking it out and baking it a second time, adding a thinner layer of cheese and sauce on top before beginning.

Stir-fried Noodles

If you go to a Chinese restaurant and they are using lo mein and just calling it lo mein noodles, then you know it is an 'Americanized Chinese' restaurant, since this dish calls for hand-cut, fresh noodles, vegetables (generally baby bock choy, tomatoes, onions, and red bell peppers, possibly cabbage), and fatty meat.

Avocado Relleno

Basically a stuffed and fried avocado where the avocado has been cut in half, the seed removed, and the spot where the seed was filled with cheese before it is put back together and deep fried before being topped with an excessive amount of queso. 

Fried Scallops

Does this need a description?

Xiao Long Bao

Nice savoury bun with usually with scorching hot soup on the inside that I just can't eat enough of (I tried and I ate like 40)

Spoiler

xiao-long-bao-26.jpg

Fish and Chips

Something like a guilty pleasure of mine, I usually crave it after a month passes without it. I guess I like crispy savoury foods?

Spoiler

173.jpg

Hot Pot

Something about that DIY experience coupled with the strong flavours from cooking in an incredibly strong soup base makes one of my favourite dinners in winter

Spoiler

littlesheep-hotpot.png

Sushi and Sashimi

Good for a snack on the go, or, if you're willing to spent the money, get the original taste of incredibly fresh ingredients

Spoiler

sushi-sashimi-maki.jpg

KBBQ

I think it's both the sauce and the DIY experience, resulting in succulent, scorching hot meat cooked exactly to your prefereences that makes this amazing

Spoiler

o.jpg

5 minutes ago, Clephas said:

My Special Lasagna

I use a meat sauce of stewed tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms, brown sugar, salt (small amounts), black olives, garlic, oregano, italian sausage, pork belly, and canadian bacon.  I fill each layer of the lasagna with a mix of cheeses utilizing 1/5 ricotta, 1/5 shredded parmesan/romano mix, 1/5 provolone, and 2/5 whole milk mozzarella.  I then spoon the sauce over the top of the formed casserole until it is swimming in it before topping it with a layer made up of 1/3 provolone, 1/6 parmesan/romano, 1/6 swiss, and 1/3 mozzarella (in other words, I avoid sharp cheeses with lasagna).  I then bake it once, let it sit for about four hours in the fridge before taking it out and baking it a second time, adding a thinner layer of cheese and sauce on top before beginning.

Fried Scallops

Does this need a description?

I wish I could try your lasagna T_T

Also yes it needs a description :3 (I also love scallops though)

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Xiao Long Bao

Nice savoury bun with usually with scorching hot soup on the inside that I just can't eat enough of (I tried and I ate like 40)

Reveal hidden contents

xiao-long-bao-26.jpg

Fish and Chips

Something like a guilty pleasure of mine, I usually crave it after a month passes without it. I guess I like crispy savoury foods?

Reveal hidden contents

173.jpg

Hot Pot

Something about that DIY experience coupled with the strong flavours from cooking in an incredibly strong soup base makes one of my favourite dinners in winter

Reveal hidden contents

littlesheep-hotpot.png

Sushi and Sashimi

Good for a snack on the go, or, if you're willing to spent the money, get the original taste of incredibly fresh ingredients

Reveal hidden contents

sushi-sashimi-maki.jpg

KBBQ

I think it's both the sauce and the DIY experience, resulting in succulent, scorching hot meat cooked exactly to your prefereences that makes this amazing

Reveal hidden contents

o.jpg

I wish I could try your lasagna T_T

Also yes it needs a description :3 (I also love scallops though)

When making your ideal cheese mix for a lasagna, ricotta is unavoidable, but by itself it is one of the most bland cheeses.  That is why you should always mix it with a denser, less powdery set of cheeses so that it will have the right texture and flavor for your taste buds.  Too many people who make lasagna make it all about the sauce, but cheese is the real master of lasagna as a dish.

1 minute ago, Clephas said:

When making your ideal cheese mix for a lasagna, ricotta is unavoidable, but by itself it is one of the most bland cheeses.  That is why you should always mix it with a denser, less powdery set of cheeses so that it will have the right texture and flavor for your taste buds.  Too many people who make lasagna make it all about the sauce, but cheese is the real master of lasagna as a dish.

I once made lasagna but realised a little too late that there was not enough cheese. Let alone flavour, the thing didn't hold together very well XD 

28 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Stir-fried Noodles

If you go to a Chinese restaurant and they are using lo mein and just calling it lo mein noodles, then you know it is an 'Americanized Chinese' restaurant, since this dish calls for hand-cut, fresh noodles, vegetables (generally baby bock choy, tomatoes, onions, and red bell peppers, possibly cabbage), and fatty meat.

In all my years eating stir-fried noodles, I've never heard of lo mein, the hell is that even

Just now, RadicalCarenChan said:

Isn't it supposed to be Lamian / La Mian ?

Genuine Lamian is indeed pretty delicious.

La mian is the Chinese equivalent of ramen and yes, if handmade properly, can be amazing (and frustrating because it never bloody ends, to the point where I've gone to restaurants serving it that serve it with a pair of scissors...)

Lo mein is basically wheat flour noodles, usually spaghetti cut.  Honestly, you might as well be using spaghetti if you use lo mein, and spaghetti is one of my least favorite noodles.  There is a really good Chinese noodle place near my home that serves hand-cut flat stir fried noodles, and that has become my standard for judging Chinese noodles.

8 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Lo mein is basically wheat flour noodles, usually spaghetti cut.  Honestly, you might as well be using spaghetti if you use lo mein, and spaghetti is one of my least favorite noodles.  There is a really good Chinese noodle place near my home that serves hand-cut flat stir fried noodles, and that has become my standard for judging Chinese noodles.

Well a quick search for lo mein makes me find this

IMG_0584edit-copy-340x340.jpg

In china, this is how stir fried noodles look like XD

Next time you go to your place, can you take a picture so I know what type of noodles you're talking about? Feel free to PM me if it's a whiles away

Flat noodles about a half an inch in width, thick enough to be chewy.  Others use a thick spaghetti type noodle that is about twice the width of lo mein (that is the most common in serious Chinese restaurants that I've encountered).  You generally only run into lo mein in third-rate places that serve nothing but sesame this and general tso that.

Edit: I get pissed off mostly because they are supposed to be separate dishes.  Lo Mein first popped up in New York about a century and a half ago, when the Chinese were being imported to work on the railroads.  They essentially used spaghetti for it, though.  The dish was born here in the US and exported to China at some point, lol.

Edited by Clephas

6 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Flat noodles about a half an inch in width, thick enough to be chewy.  Others use a thick spaghetti type noodle that is about twice the width of lo mein (that is the most common in serious Chinese restaurants that I've encountered).  You generally only run into lo mein in third-rate places that serve nothing but sesame this and general tso that.

Edit: I get pissed off mostly because they are supposed to be separate dishes.  Lo Mein first popped up in New York about a century and a half ago, when the Chinese were being imported to work on the railroads.  They essentially used spaghetti for it, though.  The dish was born here in the US and exported to China at some point, lol.

Like... I'm Chinese XD

In my experience, all the chow mien that I've had, (including in China) are the round type noodles. I have yet to encounter your flat noodles. I mean, there are flat noodles but they're usually used in different dishes. Maybe, it's a niche thing from a certain part of China that I have yet to explore? 

24 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Like... I'm Chinese XD

In my experience, all the chow mien that I've had, (including in China) are the round type noodles. I have yet to encounter your flat noodles. I mean, there are flat noodles but they're usually used in different dishes. Maybe, it's a niche thing from a certain part of China that I have yet to explore? 

*shrugs*  The seventy-year-old owner of the place said that was the way they served it in his home village.  Honestly, the larger noodle just tastes better in stir-fried ones than the thinner ones, so even if it was a lie, I'd be willing to believe it, since there is no Western equivalent as far as I can tell.

• Burgers and fries are a classic
  • Udon (hot or cold)
  • Ramen (soy sauce or tonkotosu both great)
  • Sushi (nigiri and handrolls, no cut roll shit)
  • Carne Asada Tacos/Burritos
  • Fried Pompano
  • Philly Cheesteak
  • Beef Ribs
  • Shabu Shabu
  • Fried Rice with soy sauce (with Egg, minimal vegetables)

TLDR I like American food, Japanese food, beef and fish

The level of expertise in this discussion between Chewy and Clephas is scary. :michiru:

When it goes to my tastes, I'll pretty much eat anything so it's sometimes hard for me to pinpoint real "favorite dishes", but the list would include:

-  All forms of Italian pasta (my favorite, for a few years now, is gnocchi gorgonzola in my local italian restaurant, classic lasagne being a close second)

- Shitton of various Indian dishes

- Sushi (especially california rolls & nigiri)

- Tempura in all form and shapes

- Ramen

- Toasts... Simplicity is sometimes the best thing. Especially when you get some good-quality toasts in a cafeehouse, with a large latte and an hour or two to read something - if I can have that I'm pretty much happy with my life.

Despite the popular notion (at least in the area that I live in), I actually don't fancy fast food that much. I haven't really tried much international food. (ok now I will actually talk about a side topic, the word "food" annoys me since I don't know if it's countable or not and I don't know if it's singular or plural). So most of the food that I can consider favorites of mine is oriental. 

1-"Mombar" 
This is basically the intestines of like cows or buffalos and clean them and then stuff them with rice (and some additions and shit but I really don't know the names of most of them in arabic, let alone English).

Spoiler

%D9%85%D9%85%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B11-650x433_

2-"Mahshi"

It's the same strategy of stuffing something with the same kind of rice. The something now is some vegetables like tomatoes, zucchini (I literally had no idea that it was called like this in English), pepper, cabbage and eggplants. It tastes pretty great but as good as the one only "Mombar". 

Spoiler

2013-08-20+12.37.51.jpg

3-"Mulukhiya"

This godly plant can be turned into the best sauce ever that can go with everything. Its smell is so glorious especially when it's cooked and it tastes so perfect. I usually like to use it with fried macaroni. By far it's my most favorite food honestly.

Spoiler

1171f8695663ac10f168234a1b5caf27.jpg

4-Just your normal pasta devoured by salsa (tomato sauce)
Nothing really to say here. This is something I eat once or twice a week and it's very easy to make too. Occasionally I would add grinded meat (no idea if there's a better word to call it, I sadly only talk about my food in arabic owo)

Spoiler

mh_1032_tuna_tomato_pasta_horiz.jpg?itok

5-ANY KIND OF GRILLED MEAT OR CHICKENS OR STEAK

Spoiler

_f381ef3c-d3e3-11e6-89f5-e9c163347fb8.jp
landscape-1440698176-steak-fajita-kebab-
30721_RecipeImage_620x413_maple_mustard_

Nice try at shitposting, you're good 

2 minutes ago, hsmsful said:

Nothing really to say here. This is something I eat once or twice a week and it's very easy to make too. Occasionally I would add grinded meat (no idea if there's a better word to call it, I sadly only talk about my food in arabic owo)

Reveal hidden contents

Just now, SpinningShiat said:

I REALLY ENJOY GARBAGE

So does hsm

6 minutes ago, hsmsful said:

Reveal hidden contents

6 minutes ago, hsmsful said:

Nice try at shitposting

Edited by Amethyst
Almost complimented him

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

So does hsm

OK so I will have you know that my poor Mahmood actually enjoyed this dish so much when I presented him with it until it resulted in his death due to a certain fuwanovel member whose name I shall not name for now. And this is why no matter how many people trashtalk this dish or say it's a rip off of some European dish or whatever. I will not care and I will always let salsa devour my pasta over and over again so that I personally can devour the dish after that. This dish is the thing that keeps me moving on, it's my purpose to live and see tomorrow.

I deserve the compliment though because I know I am really good :sachi: