Danganronpa v3 Ending

akaritan

I just finished Danganronpa v3 and was really curious as to what you guys thought of the ending (especially given how controversial it is). Personally I have mixed feelings in that I think it's a better conclusion than the previous two games had, but I'd be far more emotionally satisfied with a more normal one.

Spoiler

I thought that the implication that having it be a "story within a story" type deal didn't necessarily tarnish the value and impact was an interesting one, whether I agree or not. It was pretty sloppily executed as a whole (heh), but I think that it gets props for doing something that ballsy in the first place. I also appreciated that unlike the first two games, there was a genuine thematic arc throughout that could provoke thought and elicit emotion.

Unrelated, but Ouma best.

I liked the ending, but I do not prefer it to a more... normal one.
In terms of story, the first one remains my favourite.

Spoiler

I am here to read a story. Towards the end of the game, the story I was told was definitely not the story I started and wanted to read.
I don't like such genre shifts in my stories, but so long as it happens infrequently in the stuff I read, I won't mind it.

It definitely affected me. I was quite uncomfortable all throughout it. My main thoughts at the time seemed to revolve around how I certainly wouldn't have minded a story of this type without any death. The characters can complain about the pains that are inflicted upon them, and complain that the audience are all monsters, but that isn't necessarily so. I'm still waiting for the one where they all survive and piss off the mastermind.
Probably not happening...

In short, it was an experience, more than a story. That means the story itself, my entertainment, never concluded all that well, but sacrifices must be made, I suppose.
Just don't do that again, please.

4 hours ago, Kirashi said:

For those who finished it: seing the ending, can you expect a sequel?

I think it's definitely something that could be done, but good god would playing it feel weird. Also, I get the sense that the devs want to move onto something else by the way it was written.

15 hours ago, Kirashi said:

For those who finished it: seing the ending, can you expect a sequel?

Yes

Danganronpa is such a franchise that I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of Danganronpa bed linens. When your franchise's gotten to the point where there are bed linens with your characters on it, that franchise isn't stopping.

They'll find some reason or another to bring it back.

I heard Kodaka wrote the ending the way he did more to "Provide a closer engagement for the fans" or something, I believe he says he didn't want to insult the player base (which was the reason I feel that the ending is noteworthy in the first place), so I'd not be surprised to hear of a new Danganronpa. That said, Kodaka said he really does want to move on.

Spoiler

Basically, this is what you can call a semi-cliffhanger ending.

It is an ending that is not meant to be conventional, but rather, to play on multiple levels of reading...tbh it doesn't succeed that much, because a lot of clues tends to prove that we will have a sequel, but i'm not here to talk about that.

Mostly, Kodaka here is writing an open door for himself, if Spike Chunsoft decides to stop the series, it'll have this conclusion, which works well, if Spike Chunsoft wants a sequel, they have plenty of room.

Why plenty of room? Because Tsumugi Shirogane lied in the finale of the Visual Novel, that's one of the level of reading you can get, it fits not only the theme of the VN, but also the interviews of Kodaka and, most of all, what Shirogane says in the end.

It's an interesting approach to an ending, and i pretty much prefer this to the awful finale of danganronpa 3 the end of kibougamine.

Also, btw, Spike Chunsoft was recruiting 3D artists for a danganronpa game that uses 3D models.

So yes, danganronpa is not finished, at least, we'll get Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo Nii or another 3D game. 

Well, it remind me of Star Ocean 3 (SO3) plot twist as I said earlier, especially

Spoiler

when the characters was supposed to be in the game instead of real life. At least the world itself is still real, not like SO3 world in which it was turned out to be MMORPG world for 4D being.

As for Kodaka said that he didn't want to insult the player base, keep in mind that considering of how twisted (And divisive) the twist was

Spoiler

people was apparently enjoying the killing game so much that they have 53rd edition should tell us enough, and more if we consider that it was risked 795 people live.

So I think we could interpret the twist in another way it would be that Kodaka already want to move on, and he expressed his annoyance toward the fan and the producer who demanded to keep him produce Dangan Ronpa at least subconsciously. In the end, it's just speculation though so it might be inaccurate. Sorry for bringing this up here, and in the end it's up to each people though in regard of interpreting the twist.

Edited by littleshogun