Visual Novels where the main protagonist isn't a gigantic pussy/idiot?

_Loud_Lord_

I'm pretty new when it comes to visual novels so I've only played a handful, so far almost all of visual novels I've played have had major idiots/pussies as the main protagonists that I seriously can't stand. I mean I enjoyed them but I just wish the main protagonists aren't like this. So are there any VN's with protagonists that aren't like this? I've played the fruit of grisaia and the sequels btw, which are so far my favorites.

Well, idiot is a way too subjective word. Also, I think there quite a lot of VNs somebody can recommend you, so maybe you should try to specify what genres of VNs you like.

Several VNs from my own list which seem to fit:

3 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I haven't really played through those yet, but I think protagonists in major fighting VNs are rarely useless, for obvious reasons. So I guess something like Fate/Stay Night or Dies Irae could be a good choice for you? Can someone more knowledgeable confirm? :)

Errmm...

Whether the protagonist of Fate/Stay Night is an idiot or not is debatable... Well, by the end of the VN most people like him. It just takes a while to warm up to him.
(Incidentally, I liked him since the start, but I am very much the sort of person that likes the useless protagonists of the normal VNs. Generally.)

6 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I haven't really played through those yet, but I think protagonists in major fighting VNs are rarely useless, for obvious reasons. So I guess something like Fate/Stay Night or Dies Irae could be a good choice for you? Can someone more knowledgeable confirm? :)

Well, Shirou from FSN tends to be pretty idiotic sometimes, so I don't think it's what the op wants.

Gahkthun ! The hero, Nikola Tesla, is pretty cool  : He's the enemy of the World !

Naoe Yamato in Majikoi. He's a pervert but a true strategist.

Chester in Enigma: ! He's clever and mysterious (unfortunately he is in the terminal stage of a terrible illness)

+1 Stormwolf. Yes for Sharin no Kuni. Even if The hero is a bit over-the-top (I can't find a better word to describe him XD), I really liked him :sacchan:

Edited by Canicheslayer

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Umiwhat? Battler IS an idiot throughout several episodes until he decides to fight back. Definetly not what the OP is looking for. I DO recommend Umineko, but not in this case.

@_Loud_Lord_, do you have a VNDB list with games you already played? And what genre are you looking for the most?

I can recommend Kara no Shoujo, Remember11, Steins;Gate (arguably), Rose Guns Days, Eden*. All of them fit your criteria and each has its own qualities, so you have options here.

Hello, Lady

Devils Devel Concept

Evolimit

Bullet Butlers

Tokyo Babel (translated)

Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier

Akatsuki no Goei (series)

Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana

Aoi Tori

Bradyon Veda

Eien no Aselia (translated as Aselia the Eternal, available on Steam)

Floral Flowlove

Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori (plans for a localization by Front Wing, same writer as Grisaia)

Inochi no Spare

Ikusa Megami Zero

Ou no Mimi ni wa Todokanai

Ryuukishi Bloody Saga

Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate (series)

Tiny Dungeon (series)

Valkyrie Runabout

Suisei Ginka

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide

Houkago no Futekikakusha

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made

Izuna Zanshinken

Minamijuujisei Renka

Ojou-sama no Hanbun wa Ren'ai de Dekiteimasu

Sakura no Mori Dreamers

Soshite Hatsukoi ga Imouto ni Naru

Natsuiro Recipe

World Election

Zero Infinity

Vermilion Bind of Blood

Sora no Tsukurikata

Abyss Homicide Club

Electro-Arms

Re:Birth Colony

Gleam Garden no Shoujo

Hyper→Highspeed→Genius

Kamikaze Explorer

Kimi to Boku to no Kishi no Hibi

Ojou-sama wa Gokigen Naname

Onigokko

Reminiscence (go straight for Aki's ending, use the save data... you'll see why I made an exception for him)

Gensou no Idea Oratorio Phantasm Historia

Toki o Tsumugu Yakusoku

Shuumatsu Shoujo Gensou Alicematic

Semiramis no Tenbin

10 hours ago, Silvz said:

Umiwhat? Battler IS an idiot throughout several episodes until he decides to fight back. Definetly not what the OP is looking for. I DO recommend Umineko, but not in this case.

:leecher: Is he, really? He was kind of lost at first, I think, but I never considered him an idiot. And at the same time, he was pretty competent in Chiru. Well, it's up to interpretation, I suppose. And it's been a while since I read Umineko, so maybe I'm forgetting some stuff. Edit. Not really, it's way too big of a thing to forget.

~~~~~

And, yeah, I forgot about Eden.

11 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

That avatar by the way, that's some drastic change of tone. ^^

:sachi:I got bored of the old one, and I love this picture. Looks a bit too small though.

Edited by Dreamysyu