Umineko Chiru review discussion

Kaguya

Just now, Silvz said:

I think the review in general focused too much on the flaws of the game but never got into the good qualities; at least not enough to justify its 4 star rating. You could have talked about the translation, mostly on the epitaph part, as it is solved ingame.

Heh. I thought about saying more stuff, but umineko is an odd one to me. I have little respect for a lot of what people really enjoy about this game, and if I had to talk more about it, it'd probably be even more negative.

There's really two strengths I give umineko - a very good soundtrack and incredibly charming characters. All else feels bad or mediocre to me. The music is very very good and the characters are very very charming though, so I can't just call the game shitty because I think it has little merits past that. 

I *could* have fanboyed about some characters a little bit, and I thought about doing that. Maybe it'd have been appropriate. At that point it might feel more like an analysis than anything else, and it'd occupy a disproportionate amount of the review, so I opted against it. Maybe next time I tackle a game with similar issues. 

Just now, Dreamysyu said:

Well, I personally loved the meta elements in Umineko, but each to their own, I guess.

Right, and that's totally ok. I don't even necessarily hate them myself, though I couldn't say I'm fond of them either. They're just a thing that's there for me, and not at all a strong pull of the game. "Meh" was always my reaction to those, but I get that some people really enjoy umineko for it. 

Good review there, and I think it's pretty much people would like to complain the lack of answer. At least from what I read back at Gamefaqs when one post compared Umineko to Remmeber11, you must search online to found the answer. There's also the manga which explained the exact answer which people was look forward for, and obviously it lead into another debate whether the manga answer should be taken as the real truth or not. In the end, it's up to each other though to perceive this VN. For last thing here, since you mention thee's no exact answer in the VN itself, there's a reason that people called this Core Arc instead of Answer Arc in regard of Chiru because it was meant as dive more into the mystery rather than answer it directly.