What do you think about vn's that

Stormwolf

10 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Because, really, when it comes to fiction, nothing is 'true'. Even if the ending connects the other routes in some ways, it's still just one of the possible endings.

Agreed.

On ‎2018‎年‎1‎月‎8‎日 at 11:57 AM, Ranzo said:

That was the biggest problem I had with Clannad. I just was never interested in Nagisa and so consequently I didn't care for either of her routes or even After Story to be completely honest(There were some good bits of After Story that I liked but it mostly revolved around Tomoya and his growing to adulthood)

I still really like it based on the strength of Kyou's route and Tomoyo's but I feel that it would have been so much better if any other girl was the lead.

Comrade!

I played Clannad when it first came out, bug just got bogged down by all the routes I just didn't care about, and took a break before doing After story.

A 3 year break, actually.  Plus a few months.

On ‎2018‎年‎1‎月‎8‎日 at 8:03 AM, Stormwolf said:

Force you into a sol/friendship true ending after playing through heroine routes? I think it's the single most stupid thing you can do when writing vn's. A romance based visual novel should have a true heroine if there is a true ending (if you ask me).

Some stories are written where there aren't routes - loop games, for example, or non-branching games like Sora-iro no Organ.  And, of course, barely branching games like G-sen or Eustia where the 'routes' are more of omake what-if scenarios than real routes.

And then there are the occasion game where it writers actually consider ALL the routes simultaneously.  Have you ever noticed that in many games, the MC is the only person that can save the heroines from suffering and death (or worse)?  And yet, in each route, only one gets 'saved'... whatever happens to the others?  Some games actually consider this, and take the 'true' route as an opportunity to deal with everything in one story.  Usually this is a harem route, but again - sometimes it works.  It just needs to be a story where the romance is an extra to the main story, rather than one where the romance IS the story and all events happen merely to promote the romance.

TL;DR: A bad attempt at those ending is bad, but a good one is good.  May sound fatuous, but it's true.  There is nothing inherently wrong with a non-romantic true ending.

6 minutes ago, Beichuuka said:

What about Dies Irae.

Haven't finished that yet, so I can't say anything.

Well, maybe I oversimplified my position in that post. It's true that some VNs have some sorts of true routes that either connect all the other endings in some sort of multiple route mystery, like most Key works, or just make one ending stand out from all the others in some way, like g-senjou. It's completely natural to say that this ending is true, and all the others are only what-if scenarios.

At the same time, it's always a reader's choice how to enjoy fiction. Even an author's intent essentially means nothing. If, for example, I like some route in Clannad more than the true route, I can always consider it like a separate entity from the rest of the game, and enjoy it on its own. This way, it doesn't really matter that this route is connected with some sort of multiple route mystery to the other routes. Apparently, it doesn't exist / didn't happen in the in-game universe? That doesn't matter, fiction that exists in fiction is still fiction, so why not enjoy it as such?

If other terms, routes in a VNs always exist for me in some sort of duality: they are at the same time separate stories, which don't depend on each other, and at the same time a part of the story of the whole VN. If the true rote is disappointing in some way, it will probably take away from the VN as a whole, but at the same time, I already enjoyed it as a set of individual routes.

At the same time, this all heavily depends on a VN and what it tries to be.