A Sky Full of Stars - +18 Restoration [DROPPED]

Infernoplex

This thread seems to be getting some new activity. I definitely didn't expect this, but it may just rekindle my desire to finish this project again.

I was thinking now of maybe just TLing it myself, even though at the moment I am nowhere near ready to handle translation matters on my own, especially not without someone who could check my TL for accuracy. My biggest concern, however, is that none of you guys seem to be interested in the MTL patch that already exists. A translation by a rookie like me would only be a little better than that MTL patch, I suspect. On the other hand, it's also true that at this point it's likely that no real TLer will ever come to my aid, so this would be the last-ditch effort in my bid to finish it.

@RedK - Tasukete kudasai, onegai ;( YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE! :(

Well, Having a partial patch doesn't suit me that much, since I'm the type of guy that reads a VN in one go. But I won't spoil the fun for those who don't mind, it just means that I'll wait for the final patch.

I reallt don't mind waiting. I did it for Majikoi, IMHHW, Aokana, and I'm ready to wait even more. And since that you clearly care, and don't want to butcher this up, I believe that the wait will be woth it.

As for my answer here while once again it's quite tempting to try the available patch, my answer here would be that I prefer the patch that would be able to patch the Japanese version. The main reason is simple, in that I prefer no mess up gallery menu that would be inevitable happen in that it wouldn't be able to show all of the CGs, thanks to Pulltop did cut 17 CGs there. I know it because I did try Konosora with available MTL patch back at 2013, and let's just say that I didn't like on how it messily show the CG when I check it using complete save.

Edited by littleshogun

A heads-up for those that may have not heard about it yet:

https://alkatranslations.com/alka-translations-monthly-status-report-may-2020/ (the site may be loading a little slower than expected at the moment)

Alka Translations is working on a fan-translation of the fandisc of Miazora. So be excited for whenever that comes out :)

I spoke with the leadership of the project back earlier, but they didn't seem interested in doing a restoration patch for the first game, so... you'll still be forced to read the H-scenes with the MTL patch if you want to read the original game. I know it's a shame, but I still don't have a TLer, and I don't feel confident tackling translation business by myself yet. I'd be ready to step down if anyone else wants to pick it up, but as it stands right now, that's how the situation is.

Edited by Infernoplex

52 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

A heads-up for those that may have not heard about it yet:

https://alkatranslations.com/alka-translations-monthly-status-report-may-2020/ (the site may be loading a little slower than expected at the moment)

Alka Translations is working on a fan-translation of the fandisc of Miazora. So be excited for whenever that comes out :)

I spoke with the leadership of the project back earlier, but they didn't seem interested in doing a restoration patch for the first game, so... you'll still be forced to read the H-scenes with the MTL patch if you want to read the original game. I know it's a shame, but I still don't have a TLer, and I don't feel confident tackling translation business by myself yet. I'd be ready to step down if anyone else wants to pick it up, but as it stands right now, that's how the situation is.

I'm not surprised at all, If My Heart Had Wings got a restoration and retranslation patch only because the person who did it had twisted motives for even doing it thinking it would hurt MoeNovels sales when the opposite is what would happen with that since it actually made people buy the Steam version or non-Steam version just to apply the patch to it boosting MoeNovel sales for the title.

I really think anyone who hasn't read it as it is should just do so as it is perfectly readable as is, it does have some parts that aren't translated very well but for the most part it is a good read imho, I also have no interest in machine translations and H-scenes are out of the question as machine translations are a terrible choice for H-scenes alone, I've seen what machine translation does to H-scenes, it makes them completely unreadable.

I have no interest in reading the FD for either title.

Edited by Shaun

42 minutes ago, Shaun said:

...the person who did it had twisted motives for even doing it thinking it would hurt MoeNovels sales...

If they really believed this, then they were clearly deluding themselves. Moenovel already made a lot of money on IMHHW. They made money on ASFOS too, although not as nearly as much as they did on IMHHW. Still, they were their two best sellers. Nothing else in Moenovel's catalogue sold nearly as much, at least from the SteamSpy numbers I saw. The fan-restoration patch would have done nothing to prevent that. I myself never had this delusion, and as I already said before, I was primarily motivated to do this project for my own reading pleasure. Moenovel was the last thing on my mind, LOL xD

45 minutes ago, Shaun said:

H-scenes are out of the question as machine translations are a terrible choice for H-scenes alone, I've seen what machine translation does to H-scenes, it makes them completely unreadable.

This is definitely true, and I myself won't bother with the MTL patch. I know I keep saying "read with the MTL patch, read with the MTL patch", but that's because from what I've observed, a good chunk of the community doesn't mind MTL for H-scenes. The standards are so low, people generally don't care what they are served as a translation. There are definitely people who won't touch MTL no matter what, but a good chunk of people are fine with MTLs.

49 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I have no interest in reading the FD for either title.

:o Wait, why? I thought you liked ASFOS?

47 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I do, I'm just not interested in the FD.

Curious. I see most people would like to read it, but I guess not everyone is interested. Tbh, it's very likely not as good as the original game (most fandiscs are never on the same level as the games they are based on), but it's still probably fun enough for those who liked the original game.

3 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Curious. I see most people would like to read it, but I guess not everyone is interested. Tbh, it's very likely not as good as the original game (most fandiscs are never on the same level as the games they are based on), but it's still probably fun enough for those who liked the original game.

Interstellar Focus is better just saiyan

I'm happy to see that you are still thinking about continuing this project. I wish you determination. I believe that people wouldn't mind waiting even 10 years if it would take that much to get them full experience... rather than butchered one. It's good to see that this vn is still getting love from other people aswell, with this whole fandisk announcement.

5 hours ago, Atimesaku said:

I'm happy to see that you are still thinking about continuing this project. I wish you determination. I believe that people wouldn't mind waiting even 10 years if it would take that much to get them full experience... rather than butchered one. It's good to see that this vn is still getting love from other people as well, with this whole fandisk announcement.

Calling it butchered is wrong, the translation is no where near as bad as If My Heart Had Wings (I agree there are some parts they could of did better but it's not unreadable at all), they didn't even censor sexual jokes or kissing scenes and there is even a hot spring scene that just has a lot of steam.

If you want to call something butchered then the Steam version of this https://vndb.org/v15064 is worse then any MoeNovel title.

Edited by Shaun

7 hours ago, Shaun said:

If you want to call something butchered then the Steam version of this https://vndb.org/v15064 is worse then any MoeNovel title.

That's a bad example. YukiMelt has a Day-One 18+ patch that is free and restores all content. People might misunderstand.

Noratoto is more valid example of butchering.

Edited by ShinRaikdou

Yes well you see i consider every work which got something cut or deleted as butchered. Because it is interfering with author vision of his work It's like having a cake without cherry on the top. If i'm paying for full cake i expect for this cake to have everything in it even the cherry. Because the person who maked this cake wanted this cherry to be there and i want to go with the author interpretation rather than translator vision who thinks that he knows better. You can take my opinion as nitpicking but i just love complete works with everything without censorship. Cause that's how it was intended to be. If people won't give a damn about such treatment soon tm we will get everything censored like that, to appease normies. And we will still be taken as minors even if we are over 18.

Edited by Atimesaku

2 hours ago, Atimesaku said:

Yes well you see i consider every work which got something cut or deleted as butchered. Because it is interfering with author vision of his work It's like having a cake without cherry on the top. If i'm paying for full cake i expect for this cake to have everything in it even the cherry. Because the person who maked this cake wanted this cherry to be there and i want to go with the author interpretation rather than translator vision who thinks that he knows better. You can take my opinion as nitpicking but i just love complete works with everything without censorship. Cause that's how it was intended to be. If people won't give a damn about such treatment soon tm we will get everything censored like that, to appease normies. And we will still be taken as minors even if we are over 18.

Don't worry I agree with you and it's sad some translating company must ruin VN with to cut of 18+ content and ruin whole VN. They could just translate VN as the are and let 18+ content be. 

It's not like i'm against all ages vn's i see nothing wrong with it, if it was intended like this i even like to play them sometimes but rarely... It's just like. If i would want some already censored media i would choose that all ages vn's, anime or manga instead of eroge which should be how they are supposed to be.

But isn't that weird, though? If you claim to be "something", why go all the way into a different genre, and breaking it until it suits you? Is the all-ages market in Japan that down, to make companies go to +18 novels and tinker with them?

BTW, I'm waiting to see a nukige become all-age. Somewhere, somehow, someone is thinking about such a challenge.

Well MoeNovel is not normal (all ages) company they are like Dictatorship country of visual novel translating groups. Who make what they think is best for people not giving a damn about what people think. So yes they will continue to butcher eroges until people will stop buying their translated vn's and they will see the loss in profits. I think this is the best option because it will allow other better companies to buy licenses. Like sekai project it is taking years with translations but they at least are okay with people (making available not officially restoration patch for baldr sky) also Nekonyan or just fans will be able to do their passion and translate. If people won't do anything then how can anything change... I'm not important at all but i will do my part and won't buy butchered visual novels it's better to just buy directly from developer or through dl-site jap version.

Well there are some good all ages vn's but they are mainly selling on consoles i think, probably devs are doubting selling rate because of piracy on pc. Also all ages vn's probably are bigger in text probably some more japanese only jokes harder to understand in english it may just involve more work when doing all ages vn's also maybe translating gameplay thingies might be harder etc joking around heh why translate big vn with some deep lore inside scientific references when you can just grab some eroge license and butcher sexual jokes, censor cg's overall destroy kinda some routes which are somehow focused on ero content (Ageha) (Chinatsu baldr sky). to appeal to some normie westerners and grab some quick money. Ehh yes so the main point is that probably MoeNovel is too lazy to do some harder all ages vn's and they want to spoil fun for everybody by enforcing their easier law on full content eroges by cutting it out.

This is so inaccurate I don't even know where to start from...

It was Pulltop, the developer of the original game, who decided to release ASFOS as an all-ages VN in the west. MoeNovel is just their own brand for english releases. And it wasn't the translation team who did the censoring - they translated already-made Japanese all-ages version (complete with new voice recordings etc - it was probably made for the future console release), which for some reasons wasn't released. So you should direct your complaints at the Pulltop.

And it is the same with IMHHW. Translation quality aside, the english version (when you count all three releases - main game, Flight Diary and Akari's route) is identical content-wise to the Japanese PS3 version, line for line. I played both and actually compared them.

Edited by adamstan

20 hours ago, nazim10 said:

But isn't that weird, though? If you claim to be "something", why go all the way into a different genre, and breaking it until it suits you? Is the all-ages market in Japan that down, to make companies go to +18 novels and tinker with them?

BTW, I'm waiting to see a nukige become all-age. Somewhere, somehow, someone is thinking about such a challenge.

i wasn't hoping for this way anyway, im fine reading all-ages version there is some feel different than the r18. But if nukige become all ages, i dont know what coming in future

39 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

I don't come online for a couple of days here, and you guys already start a party here without me xD

well, people enjoy debate and sharings

Not everyone understand or know the behind the scene of VN Translation, so it's understandable if people think that MoeNovel is at fault (To be fair I also like that until I understand that it's the developer decision in the first place). It's still better though compared to say misunderstood G-Collection as VN developer, and yeah I find that misunderstanding way back at 2010 or 2011. So yeah if you didn't like on how there's no 18+ version of Miagete here, then you should blame Pulltop directly for their policy especially if you know that they decided to chose console game translator to translate their VN instead of ask either JAST or Mangagamer. No idea either on why they didn't released Miagete for console here, but at least I know that the engine for the overseas release is incompatible with original Japanese version here.

By the way in regard of MoeNovel while I know that VNDB list Will Plus as their parent company, in the end I still treat them as Pulltop anyway simply because they're exclusively focused on Pulltop VNs. And no Cross Channel release here didn't change their situation in the slightest, especially if we remember that Frontwing did released Subahibi as well (Both Cross Channel and Pulltop VNs are under Will Plus to be fair). Almost forget to say that while Pulltop did infamous enough to enforce the censorship for their overseas releases, at least I can see that they try to change by releasing all age VNs only (Umikana and Fureau Mirai) although it's still experimental though seeing that the VNs in question are quite short (I'm almost sure that Pulltop would likely localize Fureau Mirai in the future).

PS - Forget to point that apparently Pulltop staffs here might be Coldplay fans, seeing that localized title for two of their VNs (Miagete and Umikana) are based on Coldplay songs (A Sky Full of Stars and Adventure of a Lifetime).

Edited by littleshogun