Title: Miagete Goran, Yozora no Hoshi o / A Sky Full of Stars

Publisher: Pulltop/MoeNovel

Official Site: Link

VNDB: Link

Steam: Link

Getchu: Link

2. Synopsis

Spoiler

When Akito was small, he would gaze at the stars every night with his childhood friends Hikari and Saya. He felt excited seeing the twinkles of countless stars through the telescope lens, so close that it felt like he could reach out and grab them with his hand. It inspired dreams of journeys into space, exploring the Milky Way and solving the mysteries of the galaxy. However, now he no longer looks up at the night sky and was called the ‘astronomy club member who doesn’t watch the stars’.

He received an invitation to attend the revival of the ‘Pleiades meeting’ with astronomy clubs from other schools in the area and decided to go to their next meeting to turn it down in person. There, he had an unexpected reunion with Hikari, whom he hadn’t seen since she moved some place far away. Together with Saya, senpai Orihime and kouhai Korona, his long-lost desire to look up at the stars has been rekindled and their star-filled youthful days full of new precious memories begin.

[From VNDB]

3. VN OP

Spoiler

4. Project Introduction

Spoiler

So, this is kind of a copy of an earlier thread made by @marcus-beta. Since that thread was in "Fan Translation Discussion" and was more about technicalities than a real project announcement, I decided to make my own thread here in the ongoing projects instead. Desiring to get a full uncensored release of this VN made me want to do a project for it, since I'm no fan of VNs that get their content cut (i.e. the way MoeNovel serves them to us, without providing the full adult version on some other store or a patch for their Steam release). Be warned that it's still something in an early stage and that not everything has yet been sorted out.

First of all, I don't know JP (yet) and can't make a translation myself (aside from editing an MTL which is not an ideal solution, as you would agree with me here) so it would be really nice if this thread doesn't get widely ignored like that other one made by marcus-beta. That being said, there's currently only me and one rookie JP TLer trying our best to make something on an acceptable level of a translation for those missing H-scenes from the MoeNovel release. Since neither him nor I alone can do it justice, I am looking for another TLer, or better yet, TLCer who could help us with those 7.5k (7k) lines of text.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the patch itself I am making isn't compatible with the MoeNovel release. That's because I am directly working on the JP version of the VN, not the MoeNovel censored one. Basically, I am porting the translated bits from Moenovel's release into the JP one. @marcus-beta told me that he could make a patch for the MoeNovel's Steam release (or at least that's how I understood him) so if he can sort out the technical stuff on the MoeNovel's release then there will also be a patch for it. If somebody else also has an idea on how the patch for MoeNovel release could be made, they are free to use our patch once it's done.

Regarding deadlines, there are none. I am not promising that I will release anything, unless I am satisfied with how it will all finally look like. Originally, I started this project for myself, because I wanted to get the full experience of this VN.

5. Staff

Spoiler

1. Infernoplex (me) - Project Leader, Editor, QC

2. @codebuster - TLer

3. ???

Since I am using tools that were made by some other people, they deserve to be credited here:

1. Schlaefer (very convenient tool for scripts replacement)

2. wiki1908 (the tool for working with AdvHD engine VNs)

People who helped me with setting it all up:

1. @AtomCrafty - Compiling of ahdprc

2. @frc_ - A tool for dealing with script files

3. regomne - A tool for repackaging PNA archives

4. @binaryfail - helping me fix the source code of ahdprc and JP calendar issue

6. Recruitment

Spoiler

As already mentioned earlier in project introduction, there's a need for another TLer or TLCer, who has the mental will and strength for 7k lines of text. Sounds like a lot for some 17 H-scenes that the VN has but that's how long those script files are. On top of moanings and other sound effects, there's a decent number of lines of text that aren't as easy to translate as the moanings. Though I believe it's nothing that should be that hard to TL, the rookie TLer I have did admit that he has trouble with it so it would be nice to have another pair of eyes that understand JP better. If you think you could help out, contact me here on Fuwa.

7. Progress

Spoiler

This project was already silently underway since December of 2017. In this short amount of time, I was looking for tools and fiddling with the files to figure out what can be done. So far, I finished 90% of menu translations porting from ENG to the JP version (10% left to figure out how to deal with it), and started some work on porting the script files themselves (which is gonna take a while to finish, since the line counts don't match in all script files compared between JP and ENG... and there's almost 300 script files overall). Also, some translated bits of text that exist in MoeNovel version (like those labels that pop out during stargazing scenes, with names of constellations and so on), I am yet to see in which .arc file those are, so I can port those as well.

8. Asking for Feedback

Spoiler

As I was reading the VN myself, I noticed that there are grammar issues with MoeNovel's translation at times, as well as duplicated lines, some strange expressions from time to time and so on. I wanted to fix all of those issues I had with the original translation while I was already porting the script files. But I am not intending to do a major retranslation here, so don't hope for that! It's merely the stuff that I considered worth dealing with. That being said, I wanted to know what do other people think about some of these things (and maybe some other ones). First thing that I wanted to change was the usage of single quotation mark (') to indicate speech. I think this is the British ENG way of writing and I don't remember seeing any other VN to use ' ' for speech marking. I was thinking of replacing that with normal double quotes I am used seeing from other VNs ("). Another thing that came to my attention requires more feedback from the community. The entire narration of the VN is done in the Past Tense form (example: 'It was six in the morning, the coldest part of the day'). I'm not sure whether changing the way whole VN is narrated is worth it so I'd like to hear some opinions on this. Also, if you have been reading the MoeNovel translation so far, and have a gripe with something I didn't mention here, now's the time to mention it, so I can note the problem.

Edit (14.06.2021):

The project is dropped for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Infernoplex
Updated the title

30 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

There's also a technical problem regarding the JP version. For some reason, text doesn't display correctly on my end if I am not in JP calendar mode (as well as JP locale) and I don't know how to fix that so that's one inconvenience of the JP release.

Hex edit the exe at offset 0xB84B7 changing 03 to 01. That should allow the game to run without needing to set your calendar format.

It's arg1 to MultiByteToWideChar, btw. As a bonus idea: if you're able to make it push 0x3A4, that should allow the game to run regardless of your locale+date setting.

26 minutes ago, binaryfail said:

Hex edit the exe at offset 0xB84B7 changing 03 to 01. That should allow the game to run without needing to set your calendar format.

It's arg1 to MultiByteToWideChar, btw. As a bonus idea: if you're able to make it push 0x3A4, that should allow the game to run regardless of your locale+date setting.

Hey, thanks! :D Sorry, I forgot to credit you for helping me on that matter from earlier! I will try what you suggested here for the JP calendar problem, once I download a good hex editor.

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

Another thing worth mentioning is that the patch itself I am making isn't compatible with the MoeNovel release

Comic Sans or not, I respect your efforts because of this quote. Let's not give moenovel any money.

Ganbatte, Infernoplex!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Comic Sans or not, I respect your efforts because of this quote. Let's not give moenovel any money.

Ganbatte, Infernoplex!!!!!!!!

Heh, I am afraid not many share your sentiment xD ... I specifically got asked by some people to make it possible so that MoeNovel release can also get patched. And it's not like I wouldn't want to do that, the problem is I don't know how to do that. According to @marcus-beta, he could make it possible but I don't exactly understand how. The reason I went with JP was because it's the one I have the tools for it with which I can work and it's the actual release we wanted to see in the first place.

53 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Heh, I am afraid not many share your sentiment xD ... I specifically got asked by some people to make it possible so that MoeNovel release can also get patched. And it's not like I wouldn't want to do that, the problem is I don't know how to do that. According to @marcus-beta, he could make it possible but I don't exactly understand how. The reason I went with JP was because it's the one I have the tools for it with which I can work and it's the actual release we wanted to see in the first place.

Okay, no more respect for you. :P

And I seriously hope these guys that want the patch in moenovel's version got the game in Davy Jones' locker, otherwise is always good to remember this awesome Narcosis' post:

Supporting Moenovel is like paying to be able to suck a million dicks.

4 minutes ago, Inblablex said:

Honesty is not good in Japanese and English, but when arranging for NSFO and criticizing choices of information sources in consultation with the group, it complains. A good set of images, unfortunately, was inspired by a monster show that killed the potato experience. Do you say that poor people are pretending to like you? In other words, Ariel acts as a supporter, not related to the social standards of very long-term emissions. I do not think that if you take this project directly, you will follow this technology, because it will not help you, even if it is insignificant. Is this inappropriate? For this reason, there is no harmless interpretation, weak Japanese technology can not translate visual novels. Yes, you do not need to sleep with plants.

I am going to be honest, I am sure most people have no idea what you mean.

4 minutes ago, OutoftheBox said:

You guys are so unfunny. So much so, that I'd rather be tortured than read the bullshit you guys are typing.

Don't ruin inferno's thread by bringing that shit here.

Yeah, I agree with you there. It just makes a mockery of fan TLs and further discourages an already demotivated and highly criticised metric of people from starting up new projects.

Funny shitposting is one thing, but completely hijacking a thread like this is just sad and far from humorous.

12 minutes ago, OutoftheBox said:

You guys are so unfunny. So much so, that I'd rather be tortured than read the bullshit you guys are typing.

Don't ruin inferno's thread by bringing that shit here.

As someone halfway through A sky full of stars, I, for one, am an avid supporter of this project and am saddened to see how demotivating this shitposting is for small creators starting off. I hope this project goes through! Don't give up everyone!

Edited by Chewy

8 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

LOL :D Just for the record, I don't care about shitposting, as long as I FIND A TLCer!!!! :D I only hope the potential TLCer doesn't get discouraged by seeing the mess of this thread :)

Yeah! Who cares about shitposting! Hopefully you can find that TLCer of yours. If I could Japanese, I woulda signed up!

I'd be willing to help out with TLC, depending on the skill of your current TLer. The fact that he apparently struggles with H-scenes is a little bit concerning. I'd need to take a look at his work before I can decide for sure whether or not I'm willing to help out. (If the work would be 90% re-TLing the lines instead of TLC, I'm afraid I don't have the time for that.)

If you guys have started working a bit already, I'd be happy to take a look at the current work and decide from there.

14 hours ago, Dergonu said:

I'd be willing to help out with TLC, depending on the skill of your current TLer. The fact that he apparently struggles with H-scenes is a little bit concerning. I'd need to take a look at his work before I can decide for sure whether or not I'm willing to help out. (If the work would be 90% re-TLing the lines instead of TLC, I'm afraid I don't have the time for that.)

If you guys have started working a bit already, I'd be happy to take a look at the current work and decide from there.

Sorry for not responding in a while, I'll come back to you once at least one script gets done. If you find it really bad, then I'll have to rethink my approach ^^ But nevertheless, thank you for offering yourself for this ^_^ ...

2 hours ago, Nier said:

Thank you so much for doing this, this game is good and doesn't deserved to be butchered like that.

Having read only through the common route and only up to Orihime's first H-scene, I can confirm, this VN doesn't deserve butchering, definitively one of the better VNs I have seen in a while (at least in this genre).

Just popping in to say, for the love of god, don't try to change the narration tense. They've already gone to the trouble of choosing a consistent tense and QCing accordingly. It's exceptionally rare for fan translations of VNs to do that, and honestly still depressingly rare for official translations of VNs to do so as well, so (given what I've seen of screenshots of the game) I have a lot more confidence in them having successfully put the narration in past tense than in your being successful at converting it to present tense.

Both past and present tense are fine for VN narration. They have relative advantages and disadvantages in certain areas, and at this point I probably do prefer present tense slightly, but I think you're much more likely to be successful leaving it as is, and trying to put all your own additional narration into past tense to match.

Best of luck to you.

15 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Just popping in to say, for the love of god, don't try to change the narration tense. They've already gone to the trouble of choosing a consistent tense and QCing accordingly. It's exceptionally rare for fan translations of VNs to do that, and honestly still depressingly rare for official translations of VNs to do so as well, so (given what I've seen of screenshots of the game) I have a lot more confidence in them having successfully put the narration in past tense than in your being successful at converting it to present tense.

Both past and present tense are fine for VN narration. They have relative advantages and disadvantages in certain areas, and at this point I probably do prefer present tense slightly, but I think you're much more likely to be successful leaving it as is, and trying to put all your own additional narration into past tense to match.

Best of luck to you.

Finally somebody to answer on that question of mine! ^_^ Arigatou Fred-senpai :) ...

To be honest, I only came to this dilemma once I opened up the scripts and then after reading the first 5 or 6 of them, I noticed that the narration was in Past Tense. I usually don't notice this and don't think about it while reading but then I had a discussion with @frc_ on this matter and then started wondering is it worth switching to a Present Tense. It would be a really laborous work if I went with this decision to go through it so I was also not very fond of the idea of switching the narration. I mean, yeah, maybe many VNs use Present Tense to narrate the story (I am parallely reading one VN by JAST at the moment and only now I am noticing that it uses Present Tense, never before have I thought about that issue) but narrating in Past Tense shouldn't be a big deal, I guess. That's why I asked what others think about it, since I have seen some comments here and elsewhere that VNs should be narrated in Present Tense mostly. Also, I think it's harder to write in Present Tense, grammar-wise, and I am afraid of making a mistake so that's one more reason I didn't want to touch that at all hence why I asked for opinions on this. But fixing minor things like typos, and some other issues seem doable and wouldn't take me as much as time as fixing the narration so that's what I was planning on doing. Thank you for your input ^_^ ...

Edited by Infernoplex

Umm..
Time for an elegant and unexpected return! ;)
Randomness aside, This is quite likely one of my favorite VNs of all time.
So I would like to help the project in some form.
I don't have hacking skills and my japanese is quite basic, but..
I could help decensor the H-scenes (as in remove the mosaic censoring.)
I'm a freelance artist and I did the original Majikoi decensoring images.

If you are interested, please let me know.
I don't know what the community thinks about decensoring today as compared to a few years back when I worked on the Majikoi project, but
if not everyone is on board with it, you can give people the option in an installation   "decensored or original"

Here are my art sites where you can check my works:
https://pixiv.me/helvetica_5tandard
http://lehelveticastandard.tumblr.com
https://twitter.com/helvetica5td
http://helvetica5tandard.deviantart.com/gallery/

@InfernoplexI agree with Fred. Don't try to change the tense.  These kinds of things are like coding standards.  Nobody is ever 100% satisfied with any coding standard.  (Usually not even the people who wrote the damn things.)  But it's important to adhere to them anyway.  It's more important to pick something and stick with it than it is to get everything just perfect.  And changing the tense will basically mean overhauling the entire script.  Look how long it took the IMHHW folks to do that.  Do you want to do that or do you want to just translate the censored content and move on?