A Sky Full of Stars - +18 Restoration [DROPPED]

Infernoplex

Saw this thread was get spammed earlier, so I couldn't comment. Now that it's finally calmed down, I would like to say good luck to the project there and hope that you'll accomplished the goal of allowing us to play Miagete with H scenes intact. As for me, unfortunately I could only give the support here so I'm sorry that I couldn't be help, but I promise that I'll keep my eyes on this project.

PS - By the way, welcome back there mod @Helvetica Standard. Long time no see.

4 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

@InfernoplexI agree with Fred. Don't try to change the tense.  These kinds of things are like coding standards.  Nobody is ever 100% satisfied with any coding standard.  (Usually not even the people who wrote the damn things.)  But it's important to adhere to them anyway.  It's more important to pick something and stick with it than it is to get everything just perfect.  And changing the tense will basically mean overhauling the entire script.  Look how long it took the IMHHW folks to do that.  Do you want to do that or do you want to just translate the censored content and move on?

Yeah, I know that it would be basically overhauling an entire script - not something I really had in mind to do when I grabbed the scripts. And I don't think it's worth it either. Having read through the common route I didn't find a real issue with the Tense, I think I myself like Past Tense more.

6 hours ago, Helvetica Standard said:

Randomness aside, This is quite likely one of my favorite VNs of all time.
So I would like to help the project in some form.
I don't have hacking skills and my japanese is quite basic, but..
I could help decensor the H-scenes (as in remove the mosaic censoring.)
I'm a freelance artist and I did the original Majikoi decensoring images.

If you are interested, please let me know.
I don't know what the community thinks about decensoring today as compared to a few years back when I worked on the Majikoi project, but
if not everyone is on board with it, you can give people the option in an installation   "decensored or original"

Here are my art sites where you can check my works:
https://pixiv.me/helvetica_5tandard
http://lehelveticastandard.tumblr.com
https://twitter.com/helvetica5td
http://helvetica5tandard.deviantart.com/gallery/

Now this is what I didn't think about when I started this but... My, if you want to help with that, I'll be glad to have you on board! ^_^

12 hours ago, Helvetica Standard said:

Umm..
Time for an elegant and unexpected return! ;)
Randomness aside, This is quite likely one of my favorite VNs of all time.
So I would like to help the project in some form.
I don't have hacking skills and my japanese is quite basic, but..
I could help decensor the H-scenes (as in remove the mosaic censoring.)
I'm a freelance artist and I did the original Majikoi decensoring images.

If you are interested, please let me know.
I don't know what the community thinks about decensoring today as compared to a few years back when I worked on the Majikoi project, but
if not everyone is on board with it, you can give people the option in an installation   "decensored or original"

Here are my art sites where you can check my works:
https://pixiv.me/helvetica_5tandard
http://lehelveticastandard.tumblr.com
https://twitter.com/helvetica5td
http://helvetica5tandard.deviantart.com/gallery/

Double like.

You already made my majikoi experience that much better. And know you're gonna do this as well? 

:thumbsup:

• Infernoplex changed the title to A Sky Full of Stars - +18 Restoration

Keep doing what you're doing man. If you need any help at all from a generally skillless person other than a moderate graphic design background... I'm your guy! I'd love to help in any way possible and if not good luck with everything. can't wait for the release!!! :) 

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Please dont go into the usual trap and end up retranslating the entire thing instead. As in what would take a month or two ends up taking as many years instead.

Otherwise keep up the good work!

Other than looking into fixing possibly censored lines refering to sex, we're only focusing on doing the H-scenes. I for one would not be onboard with doing the entire freaking game. (This thing is huge. 7k lines in H-scenes alone, sheesh.)

5 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Please dont go into the usual trap and end up retranslating the entire thing instead. As in what would take a month or two ends up taking as many years instead.

Otherwise keep up the good work!

Yeah, I know that's a trap. I am fairly aware of that. It's tempting to try fixing it all and I ain't gonna lie, the first moment when I saw the scripts extracted in .txt format, it's what I immediately thought of doing (not retranslating but trying to overhaul the script in some way). Thankfully, I got back to my senses and dropped the idea after like a week or so (yeah, I started editing it and saw how time-consuming it would be to literally fix everything). I guess what we are doing now is the least it could be done for this VN, it deserves that much at least.

2 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

Yeah, I know that's a trap. I am fairly aware of that. It's tempting to try fixing it all and I ain't gonna lie, the first moment when I saw the scripts extracted in .txt format, it's what I immediately thought of doing (not retranslating but trying to overhaul the script in some way). Thankfully, I got back to my senses and dropped the idea after like a week or so (yeah, I started editing it and saw how time-consuming it would be to literally fix everything). I guess what we are doing now is the least it could be done for this VN, it deserves that much at least.

Okay. What were you trying to "fix"? What did you deem needed fixing, besides the changes due to censorship?

2 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Okay. What were you trying to "fix"? What did you deem needed fixing, besides the changes due to censorship?

I didn't like those huge comma splices in some lines. And at times I felt like the TL was too literal. I noticed also some of the things Decay mentioned on reddit. I know it's not bad and that the TL is correct but it still feels like it needed a better edit pass. It would have made the whole VN better in my opinion. It's not a bad translation, just not the best this VN deserved (but don't misunderstand me now for those guys who talk about and advocate for "better literature in VNs").

2 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Probably the typical issues that would never get officially fixed, like typos, grammatical mistakes, weird sentences etc. Don't foget, Dies Irae, Chusingura46+1 and so and so.

Edited by Nier

1 hour ago, Nier said:

Probably the typical issues that would never get officially fixed, like typos, grammatical mistakes, weird sentences etc. Don't foget, Dies Irae, Chusingura46+1 and so and so.

Yeah, having read Dies irae, I know what you are talking about. But that one had eons better writing in my opinion (or maybe I am just too much of a fan of purple prose, I dunno xD) and the typos didn't really influence the enjoyment of it for me.

18 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Yeah, having read Dies irae, I know what you are talking about. But that one had eons better writing in my opinion (or maybe I am just too much of a fan of purple prose, I dunno xD)

The problem is that it needed like an editing and QC pass or ten.

1 hour ago, Nier said:

The problem is that it needed like an editing and QC pass or ten.

True... actually, haven't there been like so many reports of typos and so on? I think I have seen so many collected posts there on Dies irae's discord server. Whatever happened with the patch that should have fixed all of those issues?

5 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

True... actually, haven't there been like so many reports of typos and so on? I think I have seen so many collected posts there on Dies irae's discord server. Whatever happened with the patch that should have fixed all of those issues?

Those were sent in to Light, but Light have not done anything with it yet. Hopefully they make a typo fix patch with it eventually. 

• 4 weeks later...

@TheAnimeExpert - Err, yeah, I am kinda not updating progress here, sorry. The thing is, I didn't make one of those "progress bars" like some other projects have. But I can tell you that the project is alive (come on, it has been only like a month, you can't expect something to die so fast, LOL! xD). I can assure you it's going to be finished since I am very motivated to see it through. Though, it might take a while since all people I have on the project aren't as free as I am. @Dergonu is the only main TLer so far (and maybe one more guy but I didn't hear anything from him in a while) and he already started working on some portions of one of the scripts. As for the porting, I finished some first 10 scripts so far (minor editing, going through and testing), and some 25 overall (not tested, just ported). The VN has almost 300 scripts I think so it's gonna take a while to finish it, but I am gonna have lots of free time now that the exams are done so I will most likely be able to go through it a little bit faster. As for other technical stuff, most of it is already done. I got @marcus-beta to hack me the .exe so I can use Tahoma font, which was one of the bigger stumbling blocks I had. Only stuff I yet didn't deal with are the launch menu and one small section of untranslated text in the game settings menu that I didn't yet find a way to deal with (but it's generally an unimportant section). As for decensoring (demosaicing) patch, @Helvetica Standard has been working on it and I can tell you right now that it looks pretty amazing from what he showed us :).

Edited by Infernoplex

So it looks like I'll have to get a Japanese copy like I did with If My Heart Had Wings (still plan on reading IMHHW again once the full translation is done) in the meantime I am reading MoeNovels release and so far it's not that bad, haven't gotten far enough for the first choice to appear yet since I have many other visual novels that I am reading as well.

48 minutes ago, Shaun said:

So it looks like I'll have to get a Japanese copy like I did with If My Heart Had Wings (still plan on reading IMHHW again once the full translation is done) in the meantime I am reading MoeNovels release and so far it's not that bad, haven't gotten far enough for the first choice to appear yet since I have many other visual novels that I am reading as well.

It's 99% likely that you won't have to get the JP copy at all. Marcus said he could make the patch for the Steam version. And if he can't do that, the ultimate solution is to just make a patcher so that it converts the ENG copy into the JP one (with applied ENG patch of course). The only downside of the second option is no Steam rewards and other Steam-related stuff (if there's any). Regarding Miazora's Moenovel TL quality - it's better than I had hoped for but not all that good (I'd say it's decent, but the VN deserved way more than that in my opinion). There are issues with it, some more minor and some less minor. It's impossible to fix all of them.

Now here's one funny line in Miazora I found while going through the script:

capture_001_04022018_212532.jpg

First time I read this, I was like "okay, whatever". Then came this project and I was like "let's double check all these lines Moenovel TLed, if I really know what they mean". And I tried to imagine "open expression" and "cutting right through me" mentioned here and I realized I have no clue what that really meant. Googling it up didn't provide all that much info about it... other than this xD:

capture_002_04022018_212902.jpg

This is the moment when I realized that some lines have definitively been wrongly translated (not just poor choice of words, but wrong TL in itself). This is what I was talking about earlier @Shaun when I said the TL wasn't that good. It's okay, one can read it and still enjoy it, but it could have been way better, had Moenovel paid for a better editor to really check all of these lines.

3 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Now here's one funny line in Miazora I found while going through the script:

capture_001_04022018_212532.jpg

First time I read this, I was like "okay, whatever". Then came this project and I was like "let's double check all these lines Moenovel TLed, if I really know what they mean". And I tried to imagine "open expression" and "cutting right through me" mentioned here and I realized I have no clue what that really meant. Googling it up didn't provide all that much info about it... other than this xD:

capture_002_04022018_212902.jpg

This is the moment when I realized that some lines have definitively been wrongly translated (not just poor choice of words, but wrong TL in itself). This is what I was talking about earlier @Shaun when I said the TL wasn't that good. It's okay, one can read it and still enjoy it, but it could have been way better, had Moenovel paid for a better editor to really check all of these lines.

xD I don't think I've gotten far enough to see that or I have but don't remember it.  I don't know how far into the visual novel you need to be to see that.

Edited by Shaun

Just now, Shaun said:

xD I don't think I've gotten far enough to see that or I have but don't remember it.

It happens fairly early on in the VN (slightly after the first time you see the first opening video). It's not the first line with issues I have seen, but it's just an illustration of what I have tried to say earlier. I don't like to talk about how "there are issues with the translation" and then not point to some examples of it. I was surprised by how many lines I just wanted to rephrase when I started doing this. It's like every single script has issues. Not that much can be done about all of them, and I am certainly no editor that can fix all of it (if I can even make it slightly better, I'll be a happy man xD).