Dies Irae: Acta or Amantes ?

Benji Price

Hello! Just got the DX package which contains -Acta est fabula- and -Amantes Amentes- , which one should I read first ?? Heard that Amantes has extra content but has censorship not only in H-scenes but in gore scenes as well. So, would it be alright to read Acta first so as to jump to Amantes for the extra stories ?? 

Also, I can't find a walkthrough for Acta est Fabula, is it the same than Amantes ? 

Walkthrough is the same for both. And yes, it is absolutely alright to do it in the order of Acta - Amantes, (I know people who have done it, and plan to myself,) but on the note of what was actually censored:

Generally speaking, you are better off reading Amantes first, unless the cropped CGs annoy you. (Only Acta is in the original 4:3 as of now.) No gore was censored in the English version of Amantes. (It was restored in the ENG version.) Now, for the things that were changed, from what I hear it's only a few CGs with nudity that had said nudity covered up. Other than that, (and of course, the removed H,) Amantes is the same + it has more story.

So, if you're like me and H matters a lot to you, go with Acta first, but if H isn't that big of a deal to you, then reading Amantes first is definitely the "best way" to go. (You can then just go back for the H in Acta later.)

I went with Amantes first since the story is the most important part of these kinds of vns in my opinion and that one is the most complete version story-wise (except the H) I am currently skipping through Acta to get the H scenes which is pretty easy in on itself.

While the walkthrough is catered towards Amantes amentes, you can use it for Acta est Fabula as well. However, Gare's guide is for all the choices that are available once you reach Rea's route (the final one). Amantes amentes makes it easy for new players because of the whole choosing which heroine route you want to go to which makes the choices all meaningless as it doesn't really matter which one you choose you will still go into the route you chose from the start. If you choose to start a fresh New Game without choosing any of the heroine routes, then it will be like Acta est Fabula (I think) where some choices are initially locked and will be unlocked as you finish each route. Acta est Fabula plays in an enforced order so the choices are unlocked in this order: Kasumi > Kei > Marie > Rea. When playing AeF, just take note which choices do not appear in your initial playthrough and save/load to go through the other routes. The choices will naturally appear after each route is completed. Also note that AeF may have one or two additional choice(s) that AA did not have; this choices just let you enter an H-scene. This is just my experience reading through AA first and skipping through AeF later on. Hope it helps.

tl;dr AA is easier to read through in the sense that it allows you to enter a route from the get go but AeF gives you the initial experience that everyone experienced and does reduce the mistake of playing a route out of order like Rea before everyone else. The playing order is absolutely important in this game if you want the full enjoyable experience.

8 minutes ago, Yoxall said:

While the walkthrough is catered towards Amantes amentes, you can use it for Acta est Fabula as well. However, Gare's guide is for all the choices that are available once you reach Rea's route (the final one). Amantes amentes makes it easy for new players because of the whole choosing which heroine route you want to go to which makes the choices all meaningless as it doesn't really matter which one you choose you will still go into the route you chose from the start. If you choose to start a fresh New Game without choosing any of the heroine routes, then it will be like Acta est Fabula (I think) where some choices are initially locked and will be unlocked as you finish each route. Acta est Fabula plays in an enforced order so the choices are unlocked in this order: Kasumi > Kei > Marie > Rea. When playing AeF, just take note which choices do not appear in your initial playthrough and save/load to go through the other routes. The choices will naturally appear after each route is completed. Also note that AeF may have one or two additional choice(s) that AA did not have; this choices just let you enter an H-scene. This is just my experience reading through AA first and skipping through AeF later on. Hope it helps.

tl;dr AA is easier to read through in the sense that it allows you to enter a route from the get go but AeF gives you the initial experience that everyone experienced and does reduce the mistake of playing a route out of order like Rea before everyone else. The playing order is absolutely important in this game if you want the full enjoyable experience.

In my experience, VNs with an enforced playing order were the ones I enjoyed the most (like G-Senjou and Kara no Shoujo) so in that case I will stick to AeF.

After finishing it, I'm planning to download a save file so as to jump directly to the content AeF lacks.

For future references, the new content from AA are:

- Side stories that you unlock after each route. There are five of them. Gare's guide lists which one is to be played at a certain point.

- A second ending to Rea's route.

- Not really new, but they did rewrite the scenes where an H-scene was supposed to appear so I guess that is something different.

Hello! Just got the DX package which contains -Acta est fabula- and -Amantes Amentes- , which one should I read first ??

Here's a quote from a mod on Reddit's /r/visualnovels

ConfuzzledKoala:

~Amantes amentes~, the all ages version, contains very important exclusive content - five full side stories and an entirely new ending, all of which are considered somewhat crucial to the game's story and themes. Until this point, light have been acting as though there would be an "18+ patch" to add the H-scenes from ~Act est Fabula~ (the 18+ version) back into ~Amantes amentes~, creating a more 'complete' version of the game than had existed before. It wouldn't be that hard, they'd just have to crop the H-CGs and do some brief porting work. But now apparently the 18+ version will just be a copy of ~Acta est Fabula~, distributed separately. Which means, if you read the 18+ version, you will be missing out on critically important story details and an entire ending. All for the sake of a handful of sex scenes that apparently add nothing to the story.