Dergonu's top 10 dark VNs to read before you die (Updated)

Dergonu

12 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Tokage is made by Cyclet, a company from the same parent brand as Black Cyc. They do indeed usually make nukige, but I personally think the most important element in Tokage is the story, though it is a bit on the edge. It does have more H than it needs, so you can make a case for it being a nukige, but the story elements are very interesting, and it's pretty well written. Overall, it's the most story driven game in Cyclet's library, and a pretty good one in my opinion, which is why it's rather quite high on the list. But, it is definitely more on the nukige side of things compared to some of the other games on the list.

Yeah, this game has been on my maybe pile for awhile, but the Cyclet name always tends to drive me away. Perhaps I'll play it after I get through my mass backlog of games.

I would love to make a new list with... with the lack of a better word, more "vanilla" dark themed games down the line. As of now though, this is what I know the best.

If you ever do, I'll make sure to check it out. :)

28 minutes ago, Neutronium said:

Chrono Box seems interesting, but I'm a bit new to the world of VNs, so I'm not sure where I'd buy it, or if it's TLed.

The only translated visual novels on the list are Euphoria, and Beats Blade Haruka--both of which can be purchased from MangaGamer's site.

Maggot Baits is currently being translated by MangaGamer aswell, however, I wouldn't expect it to be out until late 2018/early 2019. Note: This game doesn't go 10 minutes w/o a fucked up rape/sex scene.

Shiniyuku Kimi is being fan-translated, started by Dergonu himself, I believe, but seems to be dead.

For figuring out if something has been TLed, or is being TLed, I recommend using vndb.org. Just find the visual novel you're interested in and scroll down to the Releases section, and check if an English release is available. You can also click the release and it'll usually contain a link to the release itself, or the fan-TL thread.

10 hours ago, Neutronium said:

Chrono Box seems interesting, but I'm a bit new to the world of VNs, so I'm not sure where I'd buy it, or if it's TLed.

It is not TLed, sadly. Like 1P1A mentioned above, only a few games on the list have TLs currently. As for where to buy it, you can buy a digital copy from DMM. (NSFW link) But, note that the copy is in Japanese, with no English support.

10 hours ago, 1P1A said:

Shiniyuku Kimi is being fan-translated, started by Dergonu himself, I believe, but seems to be dead.

To touch on this real quick while I'm here, that project is currently on hiatus. I took a break from it, leaving it in the hands of the other TLer on the project, but he has sadly just vanished, so no progress is currently being made.

That being said, the project is not permanently dead. I do plan on returning to the project down the line. (I have the scripts and the tools already.) One of the reasons I personally took a step back from the project originally was that I felt like my work did not do the game justice, and wanted to leave it in the hands of the other, more skilled TLer. He was okay with that, but then just vanished.

But, it has been a while since then, so now I'm feeling up to the task. That being said, I have no idea when I'll get back to this project, as I have a bit too much going on for now. It will be done eventually, though!

Reworked the list:

- Changed the order of some of the VNs, bumping some pure nukige down to the "honourable mentions" list (I feel like the old list was too nukige heavy)

- Added three new VNs, (Yourou, Mugen Renkan, Beat Valkyrie Ixseal)

- Added info on whether or not a game is translated, and how difficult the Japanese in the game is, should it not be.

Just now, Dreamysyu said:

I think, this and some other recently created lists should be mentioned in this thread. I don't think pining all of them is a good idea, but having a good way to quickly access them must be nice.

Good idea! I'll add some of the recent "top X" lists to the thread!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, zaldar said:

Soo can we use this as a list of the games we want you to translate...?  Chrono box the little research I did on it seems especially very interesting.

No, that's not what this list is for. It's just a list of the best VNs I have read with dark themes, not a list of possible TL candidates.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the top, I'll pick XX of the Dead to read, I liked the animation. Shiniyuku Kimi was so gooood, better than Euphoria (for me, in comparison about dark theme, probably I was searching for something with good gore), I liked how is so simple but with a interesting history, I was waiting for the TL but I ended reading it with VNR, at least is so simple to read. 

Waiting release of Maggot Baits. >_<