25 Otome Games Worth Reading

MaggieROBOT

After Silvz's idea to make a new list of recommendations, I decided to make one just for otomege, because the general list will not have a single one. Probably. So you can look here if you're in the mood for some romance games with female protagonists. First of all, this list is MY OPINION so it's not like only those are good, the rest is trash (Or "you put xyz in here, this game is trash!"). Also, I tried to put all types of things in here, from dating sims to plotges, even if some of those titles aren't thaaaaaaat good for me simply bc it didn't fall in what I usually like (I prefer plotges than charages, mind you). Of course, you're free to add some feedback, this list is not definitive.

The order is completely random, nº 1 game is not necessarely better than nº 7!

It's too much work to add descriptions, so I'll put at least important tags for you to see what can interest you. Of course I didn't include the "Romance" tag bc every single one of these games have it. The only ones that have sexual content are the ones I said. This list contains both translated and untranslated stuff. I'll probably do one for BL games too...

Translated Otomeges

01 - Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~
   Notable tags: Steampunk, Strong Female Protagonist, Alchemy

02 - Hakuouki ~Demon of the Fleeting Blossom~
   Notable tags: Edo Era, Hero based on Real Person, Sword Combat

03 - Black Wolves Saga ~Bloody Nightmare~
   Notable tags: Medieval Fantasy, Madness, Discrimination

04 - Nameless ~The One Thing You Must Recall~
   Notable tags: Modern Day Korea, Living Doll Hero, Drama

05 - Collar x Mallice
   Notable tags: Terrorism, Police, Mystery

06 - Amnesia: Memories
   Notable tags: Unique Routes, Drama, Alternate Dimensions

07 - The Second Reproduction
   Notable tags: Fighting Protagonist, Fantasy, Demons

08 - Heart no Kuni no Alice ~Wonderful Wonder World~
   Notable tags: Literary Adaptation, Trapped, More than Seven Heroes

09 - Cinderella Phenomenon
   Notable tags: Proactive Protagonist, Curse, Fairy Tale   (This one is an OELVN)

10 - Ayakashi Gohan
   Notable tags: Youkai, Countryside, Multiple Common Routes

11 - Dandelion ~Wishes Brought To You~
   Notable tags: Kemonomimi Hero, Dating Simulation, Non-Japanese Voice Acting   (Seriously, use a walkthrough for this one)

12 - Norn 9: Var Commons
   Notable tags: Protagonist Selection, ESP, Dystopia

13 - Ozmafia!!
   Notable tags: Dramatic Love Triangle, Same Roof, Amnesia

14 - Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome
   Notable tags: Slice of Life Comedy, Joke Endings, Sexual Content

15 - Bad Apple Wars
   Notable tags: Afterlife, High School, Nakige

16 - Cupid
   Notable tags: Gothic Romance, Mystery, Protagonist with Psychological Problems   (This one is an OELVN)

Untranslated Otomeges

17 - Shinigami to Shoujo
   Notable tags: Brother/Sister Romance, Philosophy, Episodic Story   (Several times I heard people said that this one is the "kamige" of the otomes)

18 - Ken ga Kimi
   Notable tags: Edo Era, Youkai, Sword Combat

19 - Clock Zero ~Shuuen no Ichibyou~
   Notable tags: Nakige, Post Apocalyptic Earth, Genre Shift

20 - Yoshiwara Higanbana
   Notable tags: Drama, Brothel, Sexual Content   (Bring tissues)

21 - Kokuchou no Psychedelica
   Notable tags: Life and Death Drama, Trapped, Monsters   (Aksys will localize this one next year!)

22 - Watashi no Real wa Juujitsu Shisugiteiru
   Notable tags: Otaku Protagonist, Same Roof, High School   (Super easy to self insert here, but I don't really play for that)

23 - Sakuya
   Notable tags: Robot Hero, Future Japan, Sexual Content   (The free version, without the sexual content and with only one route, is actually translated with VNR user-submitted subs)

24 - Danzai no Maria ~The Exorcism of Maria~
   Notable tags: Christian Church, Magic, Timed Choices

25 - Bloody Call
   Notable tags: Action, Fantasy, High School   (the "chuuniest" of the bunch)

Extra Stuff

If you think that 25 is not enough, you can also try these novels recommended to me by awesome forum guys!

26 - Cinders  (EN)
   Notable tags: Fairy Tale, Lots of Choices, Proactive Protagonist   (suggestion by Plk_Lesiak, confirmed to be an otomege by Tamaki Sakura, but Palas added that it's not really focused in romance, thanks everyone for the feedback! Btw, this is an OELVN)

27 - Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3rd Story  (EN)
   Notable tags: Dating Simulation, High School, Threesome Ending   (suggestion by onorub)

28 - Arcana Famiglia  (JP)
   Notable tags: Mute Protagonist, Comedy, Italian Mafia   (thanks onorub to make me remember that it exists >.<)

29 - Café 0 Series  (EN)
   Notable tags: Death of Protagonist, Multiple Routes Mystery, Life and Death Drama   (suggestion by SeniorBlitz)

30 - The Confines of the Crown  (EN)
   Notable tags: Fighting Protagonist, Strong Female Protagonist, Multiple Route Mystery   (suggestion by Palas. This is an OELVN)

Edited by MaggieROBOT
Edit extra list. We made it to 30!

7 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

As a representative of the OELVN lobby I would propose switching Cinders for one of the untranslated titles. Although it's not tagged as otome on VNDB...  I wonder if that means I'm missing something about the game or just no one added the label. Will have to verify that soon. :)

Frankly, I also had problems to confirm if this game is really a otomege. I didn't played it either. But if you can confirm it for me, and think it's worth it, I can switch Ken ga Kimi for it, since the latter have tons of traits that Hakuouki have already.

Kinda sad that VN strong female protags are so rare that Code Realize is the only one that has it, and that the tag even has to exist in the first place..\

Do you know if there's any feel-good SoL Vns (like the otome version of Hoshimemo or If My Heart Had Wings)? The closest was Fashioning Lonesome but that was more of a crazy weird comedy.

14 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

7'scarlet and Diabolik Lovers are ones that have appeal that I think should added.

7scarlet I wanted to wait until is translated bc I wanted to read it first so I didn't went looking too much bc spoilers hehe >.< And Diabolik Lovers give otomeges a bad name and reputation, with tons of abusive guys and weak ass MC so I left it out on purpose. But, if someone else agree that's worth it... I can put it in the list afterall.

12 hours ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Kinda sad that VN strong female protags are so rare that Code Realize is the only one that has it, and that the tag even has to exist in the first place..\

Do you know if there's any feel-good SoL Vns (like the otome version of Hoshimemo or If My Heart Had Wings)? The closest was Fashioning Lonesome but that was more of a crazy weird comedy.

Oh, I just didn't put that tag in every single VN that had a strong protag. XD Second Reproduction, Cinderella Phenomenon and one of the MC of Norn9 are also strong!

For your request... I think Watajuu (the 22nd) is the best, and maybe Dandelion? But that one is more like a date sim and the stats rising part is not that good...

Edited by MaggieROBOT

19 minutes ago, onorub said:

I'd recommend Girl's Side 3rd because that one has threesome endings.

Also, is Arcana Famiglia any good? The art style looked interesting.

I love threesome endings hehe

SHIT, HOW COULD I FORGOT THIS ONE???????? The art is really da best, the game is kinda funny and cute and the MC is badass, but somehow she have NO LINES AT ALL (just some gasps and "!" and such, the guys pretty much speak alone... and you imagine that she's responding...) and the mafia is kinda incompetent if you want something more serious (BL games usually do mafia settings better). It's worth if you don't mind those things I said.

Also, hope you like incest and huge age gaps.

Edited by MaggieROBOT

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

7scarlet I wanted to wait until is translated bc I wanted to read it first so I didn't went looking too much bc spoilers hehe >.< And Diabolik Lovers give otomeges a bad name and reputation, with tons of abusive guys and weak ass MC so I left it out on purpose. But, if someone else agree that's worth it... I can put it in the list afterall.

Wow Diabolik Lovers is that bad? I didn't Know sorry ;o(

BUT, I recommend putting the Cafe 0 series since it is a really good Multiple Route Mystery Otoges series, with a decent protagonist (on the second game at least).

Edited by Guest

22 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Frankly, I also had problems to confirm if this game is really a otomege. I didn't played it either. But if you can confirm it for me, and think it's worth it, I can switch Ken ga Kimi for it, since the latter have tons of traits that Hakuouki have already.

I've played it. It's totally an otomege, and a really good one at that.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

Did you ever make one for BL games @MaggieROBOT ?

Also with such a long list, I'm unsure where to start... Can someone recommend a good first otome VN from that list?

Things happened in rl, shit(posting) happened here, so I didn't do one for BL... yet. I will, soonTM.

But for a start... Cinderella Phenomeno, as Lesiak said in another thread, is a good start since it's free and not very long. Amnesia Memories and Ayakashi Gohan are also good firsts!!! Just try not to pick something too long, the experience will be more pleasant. You can tackle them when you're more accustomed!!! Happy otome journey!!

Just now, MaggieROBOT said:

Things happened in rl, shit(posting) happened here, so I didn't do one for BL... yet. I will, soonTM.

But for a start... Cinderella Phenomeno, as Lesiak said in another thread, is a good start since it's free and not very long. Amnesia Memories and Ayakashi Gohan are also good firsts!!! Just try not to pick something too long, the experience will be more pleasant. You can tackle them when you're more accustomed!!! Happy otome journey!!

I will patiently await that the BL list!
I'm new but the forums didn't seem all that infested with shitposting???

And thanks for the recommendations!! Since two people recommended Cinderella Phenomeno, I might give it a try with what free time I can salvage!!!

15 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I'm new but the forums didn't seem all that infested with shitposting???

It's not that bad really, but it derailed the effort for creating serious recommendation lists a bit. Also, the mods cleaned things up, so you can't see the full extent of trolling that happened back then. 

BTW, as the effort of creating new, integrated top list failed in a way, maybe a mod should make a list of the serious "top x" recommendation lists and pin it next to the Kaguya's list? Or maybe even replace Kaguya's list with such index (obviously including it as the first position)? That could make all the effort people went through more usefull to new users, without pinning 5 or more threads at the top of the subforum or creating a new one. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 minute ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

It's not that bad really, but it derailed the effort for creating serious recommendation lists a bit. Also, the mods cleaned things up, so you can't see the full extent of trolling that happened back then. 

BTW, as the effort of creating new, integrated top list failed in a way, maybe a mod should make a list of the serious "top x" recommendation lists and pin it nexylt to the Kaguya's list? Or maybe even replace Kaguya's list with such index (obviously including it as the first position)? That could make all the effort people went through more usefull to new users, without pinning 5 or more threads at the top of the subforum.

About that, I need to edit the other 50 Vns list, so brb.