My next VN

FinalCloud

Hi

I just finished Comyu and I am looking for my next VN to start.

I do have a few ideas in mind but I am looking for a recommendation of a solid VN;

Note: English translated please!

Here is a bit of info to narrow down your recommendations;

1. Ideally' Plenty of characters throughout (alot of VNs you enter a girls route and basically have only protagonist and the girl for the next 5 hours gameplay = BORING)

2. Somewhat adult without r$pe and weird shit (like Saya no Uta, and Kara no Shoujo). The adult part is not a requirement if the story is good (but still no r$pe please), Comyu for example just felt a bit childish to me, but with some ridiculous adult shock factor bits thrown in

3. I quite like hidden identities, jealousy, love triangles (I am still waiting on White Album 2 translation =(, note: 2 females and protagonist only), protagonist with hidden power (in a supernatural VN) aka they arent completely overpowered but are strong.

I guess I am in the mood for some kind of hybrid of a nice SoL with love triangles and a bit of (melo)drama and something a bit more serious like Haru route in G-Senjou

Feel free to tell me the best option on my wishlist if it meets the criteria. But avoid any playing/finished etc

Please avoid any that are on my VNDB

Edited by FinalCloud

1 hour ago, FinalCloud said:

Hey, yea Dies Irae is on my list. Only thing putting me off slightly is, I heard the romance is pretty non-existent?

Well, comparing to other action-oriented titles I can think of, it's reasonably present. I don't think it's handled worse than, say, Fate/Stay Night, or Comyu since you mentioned it in the first post (but then again, I disliked most of Comyu's characters and character interaction). 

I'll be that guy, and recommend Grisaia no Kajitsu. https://vndb.org/v5154

* Characters are endearing, and have great chemistry (I find them hilarious at times).

* The Protag is a badass (though the amount of action he sees depends on the route). He's not strong in a supernatural sense though.

* Game starts out as a comedy slice of life. But gets pretty serious when you dive into the dark and troubled pasts each girl has (which the game describes in great detail).

If you haven't read KnS2, that's definitely worth it (especially as you liked the first one). I found it to be leagues better than the first one, and it's really atmospheric and beautiful. Gahkthun seems to be on your wishlist too. Gahkthun is wonderful and definitely worth a try. And like Funyarinpa said, Fata Morgana is fantastic and good if you're looking for something somber but not over the top or flashy.

Hey, cheers for the recommendations everyone. I think I will start with Dies Irae. A number of things to consider for the one after that though!

@Dreamysyu Muv-Luv I have actually had ready to play for a while, but the first one sounds a bit dull (the main thing stopping me)

@r0xm2n Grisaia indeed, heard it alot =). The fact I have watched the anime is kinda slowing me in doing that (but I did have a long discussion in another thread that convinced me to try it)

@Kurisu-Chan Well the anime is on my to watch list

@littleshogun I notice Root Double has multi protagonists, would you say there is still one main protagonist?

12 hours ago, Overlord87 said:

Well, comparing to other action-oriented titles I can think of, it's reasonably present. I don't think it's handled worse than, say, Fate/Stay Night, or Comyu since you mentioned it in the first post (but then again, I disliked most of Comyu's characters and character interaction). 

100% agree with what you say here about Comyu. Yea, it cant really be worse than that on the romance or character interaction lol. Thanks for helping me put my finger on what I didnt like about the game. Character interactions felt superficial and forced throughout.

Edited by FinalCloud

Ok so I started playing Dies Irae, it is looking promising!

I have a few questions mainly concerning Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~ HD ver, vs Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~ HD ver

I am following this walkthrough;

https://gareblogs.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/dies-irae-amantes-amentes-english-walkthrough/

From the looks of it, this walkthrough is for the non-adult release. I am ofc playing the adult version.

Question 1. The walkthrough states that after pressing new game, you will get options for a heroine route (I did not get this in the adult version but I did in the non-adult version when running the exe files for the mangagamer release of the game). Whilst that does not bother me, the fact that this is not present in the adult version + the fact that some options from the walkthrough appear to be missing, make me wonder if some content is not present in the adult version (other than what I mention in question 2).

Question 2. I also notice the "Other Story" option in the non-adult version, are these not present on the adult version of the game either?

TLDR: Is there content missing in the adult version that is present in the non adult version. Most important part: Is the main story identical in both (minus the adult scenes ofc). I guess I can cheat saves in the non-adult version and watch the extras.

Edited by FinalCloud

On 12/31/2017 at 11:56 AM, FinalCloud said:

@littleshogun I notice Root Double has multi protagonists, would you say there is still one main protagonist?

Yes they have dual protagonist here, so I think Root Double there could be called as deuteragonist because they actually have some different goal and personality, and both of their story was equally prominent. Actually, both of I/O and Suika did have multiple protagonist as well but in those two it's more clear who is the main MC was. For I/O the main protagonist was Hinata Aoi, and for Suika the main protagonist was Inaba Hiroshi. Hope it will answer your questions there.

As for Dies Irae here, well I actually suggest you to just play Amantes (All ages) instead of 18+ version there because actually Light put more effort to Amantes version compared to Pulltop. As for 'Other Story', yes it didn't exist in 18+ version and so does a certain scenes. I think the main story was pretty much identical except for H scenes for very obvious reason, and for the save, I think Amantes version wouldn't be fit in 18+ version. Long story short, once again I would recommend you to just play Amantes version instead of 18+ version, at least until Light find a way to add Amantes content to their 18+ version (Or vice versa).

@littleshogun RE Root Double: Ok the game does sound interesting, but I am not a fan of duel protagonists so it may sit on the fence for a bit =/.

RE Dies Irae: Hmm,  this is a tad confusing, are you saying 18+ version is translated (and worse) by a different company?

6 hours ago, littleshogun said:

I think the main story was pretty much identical except for H scenes for very obvious reason

If this is the case I will probably just finish the main story in the 18+ version. The key is that the main story for both versions is identical EXCEPT ofc h-scenes

On 1/2/2018 at 7:12 PM, FinalCloud said:

RE Dies Irae: Hmm,  this is a tad confusing, are you saying 18+ version is translated (and worse) by a different company?

If this is the case I will probably just finish the main story in the 18+ version. The key is that the main story for both versions is identical EXCEPT ofc h-scenes

As for the company who translated Dies Irae 18+ version, it's still the same company obviously (Light) and therefore the translation should stay the same.

Well, have fun on your playthrough then.