[suggestion] New 50 VNs to read before you die

Silvz

Lucid9 is a stand-alone experience without question, but it ends on something of a cliffhanger. Furthermore, the game has a number of choices which will only prove more relevant in the 'rest' of the game.
It feels more like the first title in a duology, but I understand why one would say it's incomplete. It is, technically, just a giant, self-contained common route. Some games have those, except they also have the routes right after.

Okay, so Lucid9 is in and Yuri too. So now we have:

1. CLANNAD
  2. Lucy ~The Eternity She Wished For~
  3. The House in Fata Morgana
  4. Subahibi
  5. Dies Irae
  6. Analogue
  7. Doki Doki Literature Club
  8. Virtue's Last Reward
  9. If My Heart Had Wings
  10. Wagahigh  (Only two opinions: one that's worth it and one that's average. Can someone else say something?)
  11. Da Capo (Which one?)
  12. Hatsukoi 1/1
  13. Lucid9
  14. Flowers
  15. Kindred Spirits

Remembered some other things, you guys think it's worth to add one of those?: Princess Evangile, Tokyo Babel, euphoria, Gahkthun of the Golden Lightining, Nurse Love Addiction, Himawari, Cartagra, Enigma:

Edited by MaggieROBOT

3 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Okay, so Lucid9 is in and Yuri too. So now we have:

1. CLANNAD
  4. Subahibi
  5. Dies Irae
  6. Analogue
  8. Virtue's Last Reward
  9. If My Heart Had Wings
  10. Wagahigh  (Only two opinions: one that's worth it and one that's average. Can someone else say something?)
  11. Da Capo (Which one?)
  12. Hatsukoi 1/1
  13. Lucid9
  14. Flowers
  15. Kindred Spirits

Remembered some other things, you guys think it's worth to add one of those?: Princess Evangile, Tokyo Babel, euphoria, Gahkthun of the Golden Lightining, Nurse Love Addiction, Himawari, Cartagra, Enigma:

The entire Zero Escape séries is an experience itself, so I recommend just putting "Zero Escape Séries" since each game complements the other. Also Lamento from N+C should be added It is one of the top Rated VNs on vndb which is impressive (especially for a Yaoi title).

Dacapo is Very divided, some thinks the entire trilogy is good, other thinks that only one of them are Actually good.

Also put the "when they cry" series plz.

Edited by Guest

For me I would say Enigma because I truly loved it and it's kind of what brought me back into wanting to play VN's after a long time away from them.

Cartagra deserves to be on that list as well it was a very thrilling VN and it has some really beautiful/awful moments in it.

Interesting idea there, and since mod Kaguya already allowed us to make new 50 list I think I'll gonna make one then. Keep in mind that all of those was more or less just my opinion though (And maybe VNs that needed to be well known), and so there'll be no otome, yaoi, and nukige there (Of course if there's a request I could add those in honorable mention there). I don't know though when I'll managed to complete the list, but at least I'll try to make the format would be like my old thread below (Sorry for the promotion here).

PS - Forget to say that I'll just limit it to 2017 releases here.

Edited by littleshogun

1 minute ago, littleshogun said:

Interesting idea there, and since mod Kaguya already allowed us to make new 50 list I think I'm gonna make one then. Keep in mind that all of those was more or less just my opinion though (And maybe VNs that needed to be well known), and so there'll be no otome, yaoi, and nukige there (Of course if there's a request I could add those in honorable mention there). I don't know though when I'll managed to complete the list, but at least I'll try to make the format would be like my old thread below (Sorry for the promotion here).

The only ones from that list I'd consider for the new list are Kana and maybe Snow Sakura.

Additions for the new list:

• Hakuoki
  • Cho Dengeki Stryker
  • Hatoful Boyfriend
  • Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na
4 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Da Capo (Which one?)

Just go with Dal Segno. It's new and doesn't require any familiarity with the series.

Okay, putting all opinions together again! BL and otome are in now.

1. CLANNAD
  4. Subahibi
  5. Dies Irae
  6. Analogue
  8. Zero Escape Series
  9. If My Heart Had Wings
  11. Da Capo Series/ Dal Segno (What do you guys think of Tamaki's suggestion?)
  12. Hatsukoi 1/1
  13. Lucid9
  14. Flowers
  15. Kindred Spirits
  16. Kana Imouto
  17. Snow Sakura
  18. DRAMAtical Murder
  19. Lamento ~Beyond the Void~
  20. Enigma:
  21. Cartagra
  22. Hakuouki
  23. Cho Dengeki Stryker
  24. Hatoful Boyfriend
  25. Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na
  26. Tokyo Babel

Hey, we filled half of the slots! And for me, "when they cry series" is redundant, since all of the games are already in the old list.

Edited by MaggieROBOT

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Okay, putting all opinions together again! BL and otome are in now.

1. CLANNAD
  4. Subahibi
  5. Dies Irae
  6. Analogue
  8. Zero Escape Series
  9. If My Heart Had Wings
  11. Da Capo Series/ Dal Segno (What do you guys think of Tamaki's suggestion?)
  12. Hatsukoi 1/1
  13. Lucid9
  14. Flowers
  15. Kindred Spirits
  16. Kana Imouto
  17. Snow Sakura
  18. DRAMAtical Murder
  19. Lamento ~Beyond the Void~
  20. Enigma:
  21. Cartagra
  22. Hakuouki
  23. Cho Dengeki Stryker
  24. Hatoful Boyfriend
  25. Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na
  26. Tokyo Babel

Hey, we filled half of the slots! And for me, "when they cry series" is redundant, since all of the games are already in the old list.

Dal Segno is pretty much a spiritual succesor of Dacapo, so I agree @Tamaki Sakura, WagaHigh seems like an interesting, let's say "Door" to the Moege\Charage genre, so I think it should stay as sort of a "Door" to other titles. Also the list is filling pretty quickly, which is Noice ;o) 

Also include the "When they cry" series for @Silvz's sake.

Edited by Guest

Jeez, just bc he was the one that proposed this list! Here, I'll put even in the first slot! For now:

1. "When they cry" series
  2. CLANNAD
  3. Lucy ~The Eternity She Wished For~
  4. The House in Fata Morgana
  5. Subahibi
  6. Dies Irae
  7. Analogue
  8. Doki Doki Literature Club
  9. Virtue's Last Reward
  10. If My Heart Had Wings
  11. Wagamama High Specs
  12. Dal Segno
  13. Hatsukoi 1/1
  14. Lucid9
  15. Flowers
  16. Kindred Spirits
  17. Kana Imouto
  18. Snow Sakura
  19. DRAMAtical Murder
  20. Lamento ~Beyond the Void~
  21. Enigma:
  22. Cartagra
  23. Hakuouki
  24. Cho Dengeki Stryker
  25. Hatoful Boyfriend
  26. Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na
  27. Tokyo Babel

Some other stuff that I think could fit the list: Sakura Dungeon, LET ME EXPLAIN DON'T KILL ME, I KNOW IT IS A WINGED CLOUD GAME, SO WAIT. The game have a good story\gameplay ratio which can help people get accomodated with this type of hybrid, the difficult is not that high and no absurd Bunny Black level of grinding.

Planetarian, we need to fit one short KN gem for people who want a short (but solid) tale, Eden could also take the place.

1 hour ago, WinterfuryZX said:
  1. Snow Sakura

Wait... What? How dit it manage to enter the list? I tought it's unversally recognized as mediocre.

I just put it there based on littleshogun's list. But we're discussing the options, nothing is definitive yet. I didn't played it, so if other people agree with you, let's remove it.

I'm loving how the idea has spread to the point there are 3 or 4 lists already on the recommendation section <3

I'd rather put the Sakura Series as only one entity. Although their quality varies depending on the title, as a whole, it is a consistent series (maybe not Sakura Dungeon).

Although Lucid9 is not "complete" in a sense, the "first" game gives us a full experience already. The mystery is there, as well as its solution and, to me, the plot is pretty good as a standalone game. It would fall into the same category of Flowers, for example, since the latter is not complete either.

Edited by Silvz

7 hours ago, Silvz said:

I'd rather put the Sakura Series as only one entity. Although their quality varies depending on the title, as a whole, it is a consistent series (maybe not Sakura Dungeon).

You mean, consistently horrible, with pretty much two exceptions (Dungeon + to a lesser extent Fantasy)? :D

I think I can accept SeniorBlitz's point, Dungeon looks like an accessible and decent - quality VN hybrid, but I would only include it with a warning to avoid everything else Winged Cloud has ever made or will make in the future. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

12 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:
  1. Snow Sakura

Wait... What? How dit it manage to enter the list? I tought it's unversally recognized as mediocre.

I enjoyed it back when I played it, but that's been a long time. Thinking about it now, though, I'd say My Girlfriend is the President is more deserving of a spot. You know, I'm not sure this list is going to make it to 50 titles. It might be better to cap it at 30.

5 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

I enjoyed it back when I played it, but that's been a long time. Thinking about it now, though, I'd say My Girlfriend is the President is more deserving of a spot. You know, I'm not sure this list is going to make it to 50 titles. It might be better to cap it at 30.

Oh yeah, I thought about My Girlfriend is the President too! But no one else said a thing about it, so...

And I agree with you, we'll have to put a looooooot of filler to reach 50.

One I think deserves inclusion is Campus Notes: Forget Me Not. I just played it recently and I loved it. The best part for me at least was how unique it was. Plus, it took place at a university and not generic high school setting vol 50000.

I think this should be a list in progress I don't think we should fill it with dumb filler just to get to our needed 50

2 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Sheesh, sorry... ;o(

I think they're overreacting a bit. SDungeon maybe shouldn't be on the list after all, but it would make a good honourable mention. We shouldn't judge the game on anything else then its own merits, being part of a shitty franchise doesn't mean it can't be decent at least. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak