Recommend me a VN

akaritan

I like dark things. Horror drama and utsuge, for example. And as much as I hated its h-content, I really liked MonQuest's sense of humor and traditional rpg feel. I've been thinking of picking up Evenicle. If anyone has any recommendations for either of these things, I'd be happy to hear them. It doesn't really matter if it's translated or not, but my Japanese is a bit slow and if it's bloated I'll have a hard time with it. I understood Muramasa fine, for instance, but it was so ridiculously lengthy and slow that I stalled it. I'd also like feedback as to whether Evenicle is worth my time.

I'm surprised you haven't played Demonbane yet. It's got a lot of personality, so it's certainly not pure horror or purely dark, but it has a fair bit of that stuff, while still occasionally being a silly adventure romp. Think chuuni meets Cthulhu.

At any rate, I'm a big fan of it. It's one of those VNs that grows on me more and more over the years, where most fade away.

Edit: Worth mentioning that not only is it translated, ~80% of the translation is really good (Leica's route... not so much).

Edited by Fred the Barber

6 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'm surprised you haven't played Demonbane yet. It's got a lot of personality, so it's certainly not pure horror or purely dark, but it has a fair bit of that stuff, while still occasionally being a silly adventure romp. Think chuuni meets Cthulhu.

At any rate, I'm a big fan of it. It's one of those VNs that grows on me more and more over the years, where most fade away.

Edit: Worth mentioning that not only is it translated, ~80% of the translation is really good (Leica's route... not so much).

2 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

I like horror too and I really liked things written by Kusaka Matsuri, so I'll recommend Gore Screaming Show (it's not as gory as it sounds) and Shingakkou ~Noli me Tangere~ (it's BL tho, but it's fcking good)

These all sound absolutely amazing, I'll check them out.

Phenomeno - Mitsurugi Yoishi wa Kowagaranai it's short and sweet but packs a wallop

Tsukihime gets really dark along with Cross Channel. 

I guess you should give Saya No Uta a try as well. I was never able to finish back in the day but I should give it a go now.

Oh and if you are looking for something to give you a good cry play Planetarian

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

I like horror too and I really liked things written by Kusaka Matsuri, so I'll recommend Gore Screaming Show (it's not as gory as it sounds) and Shingakkou ~Noli me Tangere~ (it's BL tho, but it's fcking good)

Gore Screaming Show actually sounds really good I'll have to check that out myself.

Edited by Ranzo

AIR maybe? Or perhaps both of Symphonic Rain and Hakuai (The latter was shoujo ai though). If you're willing to learn Japan, then both of Natsuyume Nagisa and Hatsuyuki Sakura should be a good pick. Other than those, maybe you could wait for Maggot Bait considering that it was at 65% translated right now. Hope the recommendations help.

PS - As for Evenicle, it's more or less traditional RPG. So if you like that element, then it'll be worth waiting there.

Edited by littleshogun

Looks like we have quite similar tastes though I would say I have little or no experience in horror VNs and rpg.

Caucasus ~Nanatsuki no Nie~ - I noticed you like Kara no shoujo 2. High five!! There's a high chance you'll like this too. I did.

Inochi no Spare - I just love this game. It's not just about romance, the family theme is what I like about this the most.

Houkago no Futekikakusha - most utsugest of the utsuges I've seen. 

Nanairo Reincarnation - great mixture of mystery comedy and drama. Uhm. Probably my no. 1 recommendation for you in this bunch

Akeiro Kaikitan - has more horror feels than the previous game nanairo reincarnation. Read this after nanairo, it's good stuff

Sakuranomori Dreamers - Mystery. Love the ADV feels, be ready for some utsu feels right from the start