So, what was your High School Life like?

Ranzo

I ask this question because the majority of visual novels out there (or at least the ones that I've encountered) center around high school and the trials and tribulations associated with it.

I mean most try and shake it up (it's a magic school, we're caught in a time bubble, everyone vanished, suddenly vampires, conspiracy school) but most of them still keep the basic structure of high school life.

For me I've never been much interested in that whole thing partly because I simply never cared much for high school. I don't have any real nostalgia for that time and I'm glad that part of my life is over.

I never had the high school life that is usually depicted in movies, games, books, manga, anime, whatever.  It was uneventful and uninteresting. I didn't have a bad high school life but I didn't have a good one either.

I had some friends, I was a mediocre student, I never got the girl, I went home on the school bus.

So, anyway back to the main point of the thread I want to know what your high school life is like. Did you enjoy high school? Did you hate it? Did you not care? I also would like to know if you feel any nostalgia when you play a visual novel set in a high school or, do you not feel anything at all?

More or less just like you there, pretty normal at that. Oh, and if you ask me whether I felt nostalgia or not when I played high school VN, then my answer here was not at all because usually school VNs was more or less quite overblown. As for whether I want to remember my high school fondly or not, I guess I would be embarrassed when I remember some moment back in my high school although it's not that bad though. That's all that I could say here.

Mhmm. High School was "whatevers" for me. Got straight A's with rather minimal effort, did the awkward "Hi's or complete silence" when passing acquaintances in the hallway, ran to the cafeteria to get the best foods, only went to the library to read Cirque du Freak because for some reason i was into that stupid vampire novel, peeked a few glances at my crush whenever i saw her :Teeku:

The only thing i miss about my HS days was how laidback that part of life was. Everything was easy, no responsibilities... i think that's what makes High School SoL VNs appealing. The easygoing and relaxing atmosphere~

My time in high school was somewhat interesting, but that's because of how things were with me and my crew.  We were essentially the hidden rulers in that we had influence with every social standing.  Had a friend handle the "geeky" group, a friend that handled the "preps", and I handled the "jocks" and "red necks"(this was a school in the southern USA mind you).  Though the best part was that the faculty was split up between all of us.  We each had our own group of teachers that we handled through various means, but the best was how I handled the principal through fear of my family.  As for feelings of nostalgia, I wouldn't really call it that.  More of a yearning for a simpler time.  Back when I didn't have to worry about bills, jobs etc.  But then again, the closest thing to how things were back then is Prison School.  We were just more covert about things.  So yea, I guess I did enjoy my time there.

High school was a place I always adored when I was in middle school due to the anime I've been watching. It was supposed to be a cool and fun place in my mind.

Well, first 2 years wasn't so much to me. Those years went by real fast. I met with new people, had new friends etc.

Then, when I became an 11th grader, I met with one of my best friends and he changed my life. Think of a friend that totally changes the way you live, the way you think, in a good way. He even helped me to have my first relationship.

I met with that girl, my first girlfriend, when it was around end of the 11th grade. She was a 9th grader at the moment. We met via a common friend when I was trying to start an anime club. She was a nice, cute, cheerful gal. We became close friends eventually. We confessed to each other after the first phase of my college exams in 2017. Too bad that we had to break up after a month.

Anyway, in short, I don't regret most of my time at high school. It was a fun and happy one most of the time. 

Edited by RazoR

My High School experience was just as dull as the rest of my life before college, so it's not something I'm very nostalgic about. On the other hand,  it was a time when I was at relative peace with myself and one that I don't have any real regrets about (and I've messed up in so many ways in my early college years). So, it's surely not a setting that would be off-putting to me in any way, even if it's not super "relatable".

What I like in high school dramas, at least when it goes to romance, is that the characters have pretty much their whole lives ahead of them and I really like "guiding" them through the plot with my choices, observing these formational moments they go through and the (somewhat) bright future awaiting them (as you can easily read from this description, I hate depressing endings). Teenagers simply fit well in this formula - just like they work well with horror, because of how vulnerable they seem.

When it goes to various fighting VNs and things like that characters being so young or the setting still being the high school might feel absolutely pointless and dumb, but it never really bothers me that much. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

High school in India was horrible. The worst. THere was not much social interactions at all. We have no elective choices, and each subject had multiple textbooks (of a few thousand pages) each. To do well, in the final year (12th, the grades you get here determine your college), students are expected to start preparing 1-1.5 years before that. In my final year, I remember putting in 12-15 hour days.

Most of the studying was simply memorisation, and during my masters (I'm in my first year now), I use barely 30% of what I studied. It was a period where I had no time for enjoyment or fun, but simply sat in front of my textbook, day-in and day-out. I had less friends, but more people I grew close too because they suffered with me. We often formed study groups to make it more bearable. We did go out occasionally, but there was no time to commit to anything other than studies. No romance or any real form of social life. It was at this point, anime became an escape for me, and I would watch it in the little free time I had.

It was a horrible period in my life, and I'm glad its over.

Edited by Akshay

It was very good until, suddenly, it was not (true year 2000 effect).

2001 saw a huge rebuilding of my life.

Even though I got away with it, I still feel some sense of incompletion about high school. I often dream about having to do that important exam even though I'm working now (or should be), actually I dream that something gets retconned in my life and have to do NOW that exam or else my title is taken away and I'm a pariah forever and ever.

Pretty fun, but I got into like one of the top 10 Turkish high schools (lucky, parents had money, worked hard enough in mid school) so that's to be expected. I've had activities, made many friends, accomplished stuff. Couldn't really ask for anything to be better, save for myself and my godforsaken laziness.

High school was mostly boring and miserable... I spent most of the time reading, though I briefly (a few months) dated a blind girl that I was honestly and deeply fond of.  However, the end result of that was that I realized I was utterly unsuited for relationships in general, lol.  I find the demands of a romantic relationship burdensome, and we parted on reasonably good terms for two adolescents.  American school life is nothing like Japanese, primarily because you rarely share more than one or two classes with the same people, meaning that opportunities to form strong relationships with high school compatriots are limited.  I don't think I remember anyone from my days in high school, except that one girlfriend.

My high school is pretty normal (maybe). I went to a public high school in a small rural town. I was kind of a nerd that liked to study then (now I hated it) so I was the one that was always trying to fit in.

Still we were only few in the class, so we formed a strong bond over the years, especially we guys. We would all walk together after school, go to some place where they sell cheap street food and hang out there until dark and then get scolded when we come home. We make excuses like projects to go on sleepovers but we just drink really. It was fun because we never really cared about anything else back then. We just cared about the 'now' and never about 'tomorrow'.

About girls, yeah there were one. Thinking back just reminds me how stupid, petty and naive I was back then. I saw her sometime ago on a bus going to the city. We sat together and talked like we would in the old days, not like we have years of no communication whatsoever. It was a happy time. But we parted ways. We know nothing is ever gonna happen between us. We were just fine with knowing the other one is alive and well.

So yeah high school was a good time. Full of moments that were then trivial, but now I consider very special.

scuola_web.jpg

This is the main entrance but I was in the computer science/IT detachment, cannot find a photo at the moment, sorry.

Firs two years (main building, no fixed classroom) - not very good, shitty class with very bad characters... Fuck them.

Last three years (+1 extra, IT detachment/annex, fixed classroom) - definitely better, I even made some friends back then... Unfortunately we evenally lost contact.

It's an huge school with more than 1k students, mostly male (more than 90% of students were male back then, 0 to 2 girls per class, dunno the current situation but it shouldn't be very different).This country has backward mentality and techncal institutes like the one I attended are unfortunately considered male things.

My first day of Highschool...

* Half the bullies who had been tormenting me on the school bustrips before were going to this school, and were already sizing me up.

* Half the students in my classes were just horsing around, being disruptive in class.

I was like "nope!". Never went to highschool ever again. Fortunately, my parents didn't mind. I'd already had nothing but problems over my entire schooling life one way or another anyways.

I got my education via other means in the end.

Basically the education system has been almost nothing but heartache for me, and I've had absolutely nothing to show for it either. Still, I did have some good memories here or there....

My high school experience was nothing like they show in pop culture.  It wasn’t good or bad.  It just happened.  I got high grades without any studying all through elementary, junior high and high school, so I didn’t develop any kind of study skills.  This would bite me in the ass when I tried University and suddenly couldn’t remember anything come test time, but that’s getting off topic.  My only friends were those I had been hanging out with since elementary.  I fell out of touch with all of them as soon as we graduated.  There were a few people I had more than one class with, but I didn’t get to know any of them.  I arrived just before school started, left for lunch, and went home right after school.  I’m sure there must have been school clubs of some sort, but I have no idea what any of them were.  There was a student council, but there were no elections and whatever it was they did had no effect on my life.  Also I honestly can’t remember being interested in any girls at all.  All the ones I was interested in in junior high went to other high schools.

There is a single Institute representative that if I don't remember wrong can nominate a vice, and usually has some sidekicks of sorts. Then there is the provincial student "consulta" (every school elect a girl and a boy, if I'm not wrong) . Both are elected with strange rules that I don't remember clearly. It's been a while.

No clubs, or any extracurricular activity, nothing. No uniforms.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

• 2 months later...

Freshman year was alright. Nothing happened. I mananged to get a 3.0 with zero effort. Detroit has a interesting way of sorting high schools. So, I had to apply into my high school in downtown. Once I got accepted. I was happier than when I got accepted into college, which is weird lolz. I was the only one in my middle school accepted to that high school. 

Being a resource student, (the borderline between special education and normal education). I was granted special privledges. Extended ACT and SAT time. I can skip class whenever I felt like it. Teachers had to make accommodations for me otherwise the state of Michigan would ran hell upon them. This is because I was diagnosed with a certain medical condition, it’s the condition that fuels the kekstani army on 4chan.

Sophmore year was a slump academically, but interesting. I hypnotized a friend of mine. I am going to share this story in a later post. I also published my first physical novel. I also managed to read the entirety of the hirguarashi manga and VN. I felt like a goddamn scholar. If only I used that power for coding.

Junior year. So, how can I best put this. I had a girlfriend, but she nominated herself as such. I didn’t consent to it at first, but she was hot so I just went with it. I used my medical condition to get a few scholarships. That year, I wrote my second novel but did not publish it because I was broke af.

Senior year. My girlfiend and I annulled our relationship. So I went after my crush, she was tall, dark, and beautiful. I asked her out and then she told me that she was going out with her cousin. Mind you, this was October Prom was at June. I mean GODDAMN. How early should I have been? I almost failed calculus, like seriously, I had a 59.9% I was almost crying when I had to get my cap and grown from my math teacher. 

I skipped over a few things, because I didn’t want to make a wall of text. :P

So I actually went to high school partly at the school in Florida--Majory Stoneman Douglas--that just had the big shooting. But I also spent some time at a second school as well.

In both places, I was heavy into drama/art/goth crowds, and I had a lot of fun. I did a lot of acting, and even was part of an amateur improv group for a little while. A lot of small circles. I saw Akira for the first time on VHS in high school; showing my age yet?

Probably the biggest development for me was learning about tabletop games. It was really dominated by boys back then, but I fell in love with a setting called Ravenloft, and I ended up running a game for many years. It was a bit heavy on the story, but I had a lot of players, and it's probably one of the things I missed the most. We even got back to year 1-2 years into college and had a weeklong marathon. I really miss tabletop gaming.

High school was fine. Got kicked out of my creative writing class a couple of times for apparently encouraging bullying (the teacher didn't understand satire). 

Other than that, high school was a lot of fun. Had a lot of friends, hung out after school with people pretty often, and I generally didn't hate going. Sure was easier going to high school rather than all the crap I deal with now that I'm nearly done with university. 

I think high school was the last time I enjoyed a reasonable lifestyle. I didn't panic while doing schoolwork, I was in pretty great shape, didn't have nearly as much difficulty concentrating, had real-world friends to talk to, and didn't have to lower my personal standards to cope with depression and anxiety. The only thing I wish I could take back was all the dumb retarded stuff I did for attention (I completely regret not listening to my guidance counselor about fixing that). On the plus side, I'm a lot less socially awkward now than I was back then.