Thoughts on Fakku distributing eroge

bakauchuujin

Illusion?!?! Rapelay Illusion?!?!  Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought Illusion was kinda traumatized by that whole debacle and didn't want to distribute games outside of Japan. 

Hell though, if this means I can get a legitimate localized version of Artificial Academy 2 sometime in the future I might even forgive Fakku for removing some of my favorite tags on their site.

25 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Illusion?!?! Rapelay Illusion?!?!  Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought Illusion was kinda traumatized by that whole debacle

No, they (Illusion) didn't give a shit, unlike say crybaby minori (who btw still to this day block non-japanese IPs from accessing their website).

25 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

and didn't want to distribute games outside of Japan.

No, this is Japan itself not Illusion or any specific Eroge/VN developer, as in it's a japanese law that's been implemented ever since the western RapeLay nonsense.

Before that there was no "JAPAN SALES ONLY".

Edited by Nier

7 hours ago, novurdim said:

I like how the idea of paying for stuff has never even crossed your mind lol

lol, don't worry. It did.

But free stuff is free. You take what you can get, really. If the writers and publishers are willing to donate it, that is.

Also, some people would rather spend their money on other things than a subscription.

Edited by jetpack003

6 hours ago, Okarin said:

But here...

TL is announced > Time passes > More time passes > ... > Fucking finally! But wait... the TL sucks and they charge you $40 plus DLCs.

I do have to ask, though, are all original japanese games even written well enough? This could be a larger discussion, even; when people complain about the english translations, do they consider that the original may be as bad as it and probably people don't care because it is the "true" version?

I mean, it is not possible that ALL translations are bad, right? Sometimes this question comes to my mind but I've never seen anybody talking about this.

Sorry for being off topic :<

Another choice of where to buy is a good thing (probably).  No idea if I will ever buy anything there though.  Only things I’d buy would be ones I can’t get from Steam (their regional pricing is way better than credit card exchange rates here as long as there is a patch of course) or the publisher’s site.  If that ever happens I’ll have probably forgotten Fakku exists though. :wahaha:

9 hours ago, jetpack003 said:

But free stuff is free. You take what you can get, really. If the writers and publishers are willing to donate it, that is.

Doujinshi are usually not really "free stuff" though, especially the original ones, scanlating them and putting up for free is essentially not any different from piracy. Not that I'm preaching, just wanted to make sure you don't think that fakku are charging for "free stuff".

8 hours ago, Silvz said:

I do have to ask, though, are all original japanese games even written well enough?

Well, those who care often say that modern VN's prose is pretty bad, except for a handful of writers, so there's that. I've even seen several people mention that something like Hapymaher may actually become better in that regard after the translation.

4 hours ago, novurdim said:

Doujinshi are usually not really "free stuff" though, especially the original ones, scanlating them and putting up for free is essentially not any different from piracy. Not that I'm preaching, just wanted to make sure you don't think that fakku are charging for "free stuff".

It depends on who provides the Doujin but yeah, they are not free stuff. I just couldn't find a better wording for it. I am aware that Fakku is getting these Doujins from the original writers and publishers themselves (with their permission) and that Fakku are also providing the translations for it. So I generally understand why they are charging a fee for them in the first place. It's how it should be, really.

I was just giving my selfish opinion on the matter and why I'm a bit biased against them. However, the person who explained the situation behind Fakku after my post did a better job at it anyways.

I'll leave it at that since I don't want to stir anything else up with my comments.