Visual Novel suggestions for 2018 plz

r0xm2n

Steam Sale is up. And other stores like DenpaSoft and MangaGamer are on sale too. Time to amass a backlog for 2018. :sachi:

Feel free to say whatever you want on what I've posted. Feel free to suggest some VN's too.

Games I'm definitely getting:

Steins;Gate

Idol Magical Girl Chiru Chiru Michiru Part 1 and 2 (a spinoff series starring my favorite VN girl ever? EZ choice) :michiru:

D.S. -Dal Segno (don't mind me some rom com eroge action)

Games I'm considering (or need selling on):

Symphonic Rain

Himawari (apparently a cute and happy game that gets real serious, real quickly)

Narcissu (obviously I play this when I'm NOT depressed)

The House in Fata Morgana (not sure what this game is like, but it gets recommended a lot)

Wonderful Everyday Down the Rabbit-Hole (apparently, this gets really disturbing, I'm not even sure if my body is ready)

Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- (this seems interesting, should I get it?)

Higurashi When they Cry series

Umineko When they Cry series (this gets recommended a lot around here)

Princess Evangile (another rom com eroge)

Games I definitely want (but they havn't been released, or +18 version/patch hasn't been released):

Grisaia no Rakuen (due for imminent release apparently)

G-Senjou no Maou

MUV-LUV & MUV-LUV Alternate (we already have complete MUV-LUV at least)

A Sky Full of Stars (I expect to wait years for this, a shame cause I loved IMHHW)

Newton and the Apple Tree (this game seems funny)

VN's I've already read:

Grisaia no Kajitsu and Grisaia No Meiyuu

IMHHW

Katawa Shoujo

Wagamana High Spec

Nekopara Vol1

Backlog:

Doki Doki Literature Club

Lucy - The Eternity she wished for

Nekopara Vol2

To the Moon (technically not a VN, but still a story driven game that is a serious tear jerker apparently)

Currently reading:

CLANNAD

Symphonic Rain is an absolutely wonderful experience for the music alone! Now I say this while being the type of person who does not listen to the background music of visual novels. I usually play my own tracks I find. I didn't with this visual novel. I listened to the whole damn thing. I even have the tracks on my own damn ipod!

Edited by Ranzo

23 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Huh... it is @Silvz, he is at it again...

Also if you're gonna get into the science adventure series and read Chaos;Head, wait for the Chaos;Head Noah patch since this is the complete version of the first game.

As for Himawari, Hoshimeno and Symphonic Rain, if you're into the Multiple Route Mystery genre + some rom com...

1 hour ago, r0xm2n said:

Steam Sale is up. And other stores like DenpaSoft and MangaGamer are on sale too. Time to amass a backlog for 2018. :sachi:

Feel free to say whatever you want on what I've posted. Feel free to suggest some VN's too.

Games I'm definitely getting:

Steins;Gate

Idol Magical Girl Chiru Chiru Michiru Part 1 and 2 (a spinoff series starring my favorite VN girl ever? EZ choice) :michiru:

D.S. -Dal Segno (don't mind me some rom com eroge action)

Games I'm considering (or need selling on):

Symphonic Rain

Himawari (apparently a cute and happy game that gets real serious, real quickly)

Narcissu (obviously I play this when I'm NOT depressed)

The House in Fata Morgana (not sure what this game is like, but it gets recommended a lot)

Wonderful Everyday Down the Rabbit-Hole (apparently, this gets really disturbing, I'm not even sure if my body is ready)

Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- (this seems interesting, should I get it?)

Princess Evangile (another rom com eroge)

Games I definitely want (but they havn't been released, or +18 version/patch hasn't been released):

Grisaia no Rakuen (due for imminent release apparently)

G-Senjou no Maou

MUV-LUV & MUV-LUV Alternate (we already have complete MUV-LUV at least)

A Sky Full of Stars (I expect to wait years for this, a shame cause I loved IMHHW)

Newton and the Apple Tree (this game seems funny)

VN's I've already read:

Grisaia no Kajitsu and Grisaia No Meiyuu

IMHHW

Katawa Shoujo

Wagamana High Spec

Nekopara Vol1

Backlog:

Doki Doki Literature Club

Lucy - The Eternity she wished for

Nekopara Vol2

To the Moon (technically not a VN, but still a story driven game that is a serious tear jerker apparently)

Currently reading:

CLANNAD

Everything in your backlog is great. I read lucy recently too and really liked it.

For games you need selling on,

1.Narcissu. - Many people say it is depressing, but that is not actually the point of it. It is not happy, but it should not be considered sad. It is mostly about acceptance in the face of the inevitable. To move on. to understand. And what you leave behind. The soundtrack was great. It is definitely a great experience. play 1 ,2 and the epilogue. The DLC's are ok but unnecessary.

Umineko is really good (the first half), but it feels a bit short on the second half.

Princess Evangeline is trash. Don't waste your time. Haven't yet played fata morgana, but that's something on my list as well.

Another suggestion is Enigma. It's a very unique VN (sadly unvoiced). Also you will probably like overdrive games, so try kira kira and deardrops

11 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Narcissu

Get Narcissu 1st & 2nd, since it's completely free.

There's a trial on MangaGamer's website, if you want to try it out.

Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star-

This is a high quality romance title. I recommend it. Just be warned that Chinami (the imouto) can be a bit much at times.

10 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Symphonic Rain is an absolutely wonderful experience for the music alone! Now I say this while being the type of person who does not listen to the background music of visual novels. I usually play my own tracks I find. I didn't with this visual novel. I listened to the whole damn thing. I even have the tracks on my own damn ipod!

Yes, Symphonic Rain has a wonderful soundtrack by the late Okazaki Ritsuko. She died far too young.

Other titles I'd suggest that aren't on your list:

12 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Literally the best VN ever written in my eyes. Amazing characterization, wonderful art, god tier music, heartwrenching plot. What's not to love. It's a cut above 95% of other popular VNs.

The most layered and complex story I've seen in a VN, in many ways. Amazingly long, something for everyone, wonderful music, unforgettable characters.

Reflects many of my praises for Umineko but is, at its heart, a somewhat simpler mystery- the retranslation (the Steam version) is not fully out yet, we're still waiting for the 6th episode out of 8 total.

15 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Himawari

Honestly, I didn't like this one at all, but there are plenty of people who did, so it's probably worth a try.

Narcissu

Well, it's pretty depressing (and I made a great mistake reading it at a summer resort :michiru:), but it's free and brings some nice ideas, so why not read it if you have the time?

The House in Fata Morgana

Definitely worth reading. It's really a unique VN, and it's one of the rare VNs where I actually I felt like I was reading a book rather than a VN. Note though that it brings up some pretty controversial topics, and it's mostly a tragic work.

Wonderful Everyday

Well, this one is also one of my favorite ones, but, yeah, it gets pretty disturbing sometimes. At the same time, it's the only VN I read which actually implements philosophical ideas in a right way. :maple:

Higurashi When they Cry

Nice mystery, also gets pretty disturbing sometimes.

Umineko When they Cry

Basically, the most awesome VN ever. :reeee:

16 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

G-Senjou no Maou

Well... I'm not the best person to comment on it... it's overrated shit

16 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

MUV-LUV & MUV-LUV Alternate

The first Muv-luv gets pretty boring sometimes, and side routes in Extra are basically bad and not worth reading at all. Alternative, on the other hand, is another one of my most favorite VNs ever, and also the most emotional one.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Consider me sold on Symphonic Rain, House in Fata, Narcissu, Enigma, Hoshizora no Memoria. Also both ef games (but they aren't on special, so they go on my wishlist, and I buy them whenever).

Kira Kira and Deardrops sounds interesting.