Winter 2018 Anime discussion

Plk_Lesiak

On 26/01/2018 at 5:14 PM, Kurisu-Chan said:

I'm pretty sure Violet Evergarden will be the anime of the year (yes, yes i know there is legend of galactic heroes that will come next, yes i know it's production I.G, but nah, it's gonna be Violet Evergarden)

PS : Yes i also know there will be steins;gate 0, but let's be honest, Violet Evergarden is way too beautiful and cool and good to get beaten by anything this year.

PPS : Yes, i know there's also a Captain Tsubasa anime this year, but let's be honest, even animated Christiano Ronaldo can beat Violet.

PPPS : Yes, i know there's also, also attack on titan Season 3, but let's be honest, Eren can't even Yamero!!! Violet Evergarden.

PPPPS : Yes, i also know there's also, also my hero academia season 3, but no amount of TEXAS LEMME SMASH can even smash Violet.

PPPPPS : Yes, Yes, Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai something is yet another isekai anime, like that shit is not even overdone since .Hack//Sign, amirite?

PPPPPPS : Ok, but can you do this?

Omg I love your post too much.
Violet Evergarden is definitively the anime of the year.

9 hours ago, ittaku said:

Karakai jouzu no Takagi san I should find Takagi cute for the cute things she does but her teasing - which is the premise of the romance and story - is actually fucking annoying and the protagonist is too much of a dweeb so I'm not sure I can put up with it much more :\

I don't really think it's her teasing that's the problem, but it's just that the show drags each moment she teases him on forever to the point that it's annoying on a "Get on with it" level. And when every single scenario of the show plays out like this, it's a recipe for disaster.

2 hours ago, Kazami Yuiji said:

Omg I love your post too much.
Violet Evergarden is definitively the anime of the year.

Is it really that good? I've yet to start it, but have generally heard very mixed things, like how beautiful it is but how shallow the whole stuff going on/characters are.

17 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Is it really that good? I've yet to start it, but have generally heard very mixed things, like how beautiful it is but how shallow the whole stuff going on/characters are.

Tbh, I think it actually depends on how sensitive you are to the anime which are focused on emotions. However, the animation is perfect, one can feel that the production has invested a lot on it and can fully appreciate the interaction between the characters (and the beautiful Violet-chan). Although it's very much criticized by people who think it's overrated, I think the potential is enormous, and if it's well done, it could eventually be the anime of the year.

Edited by Kazami Yuiji

2 minutes ago, Kazami Yuiji said:

Tbh, I think it actually depends on how sensitive you are to the anime which are focused on emotions. However, the animation is perfect, one can feel that the production has invested a lot on it and can fully appreciate the interaction between the characters (and the beautiful Violet-chan). Although it's very much criticized by people who think it's overrated, I think the potential is enormous, and if it's well done, it can eventually be the anime of the year.

Well, it seems interesting enough to warrant a watch, so guess I'll have to see and decide for myself. The animation does look really nice indeed, from what little I've seen, though.

I also find quite funny how the first episodes started a mini-drama by people who know nothing about colours and style claiming the show was using terrible color palettes and "fixing" images to demonstrate how much better it could look (consequently ruining the pictures lel). Reddit was on fire that week.

18 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

I also find quite funny how the first episodes started a mini-drama by people who know nothing about colours and style claiming the show was using terrible color palettes and "fixing" images to demonstrate how much better it could look (consequently ruining the pictures lel). Reddit was on fire that week.

I didn't follow everything that was happening on Reddit. But I guess it's not worth it, am I right? Futhermore, I already saw too much hate on this show just because people were madddd of how it was on top airing anime on MAL. So I guess nothing can surprise me anymore, just to say so.

On 26/01/2018 at 2:19 PM, Jun Inoue said:

On 25/01/2018 at 8:34 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I've just watched the third episode of Death March to the Parallel World and for me it's absolutely wonderful. It has some of those typical elements that should theoretically break it, with protagonist being completely overpowered etc., but I don't think I've seen RPG anime doing such a good job at creating a climate of adventure and exploring the game's world - it's like what In Another World with My Smartphone tried to do, but with a lot better writing, much less (if any) haren trashyness and a protagonist that might be a bit Gary Stue-ish, but have an actual backstory and motivations that make his actions in this new world meaningful and understandable - someone that doesn't want to play the hero, but just enjoys the opportunity to escape from his miserable life and tries to make the best of his situation.

People obviously give it shitty ratings for how iterative it is - after all, it's probably the millionth isekai series out there - but it just does such a good job with this concept. It's still early in the season, but if what I've heard about the LN is true, it should be a joyful experience through and through.

I'm really sorry, but... no. To everything. In all due honesty, I had already read the manga, so I knew what I was getting into, and that it was going to be a pretty bad anime (since the source material itself is a pretty bad narrative). But the anime surprises even more.

How can people appreciate such an anime ? I mean it is obviously a pretty shit anime. It's frightfully terrible, and you said Gate was awful but comparing to Death March, Gate is a masterpiece, a well done Isekai which tried to mix political issue and comedy (except for the second season).

Edited by Kazami Yuiji

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Not really. It's very pretty but it's not really striking any chords with me. Seems to be riding on hype and production values rather than anything much to me, but mine would be an unpopular opinion.

1 hour ago, Kazami Yuiji said:

and you said Gate was awful but comparing to Death March, Gate is a masterpiece, a well done Isekai which tried to mix political issue and comedy (except for the second season).

I'm not sure if you were sarcastic on that Gate definition lul.

Gate was a sloppy handjob to Japanese imperialism. The other world leaders are cartoonish villains, the "moderates" of the Japanese parliament are pictures as bitchy clowns who don't truly love Japan, the MC is a "I can't be bothered to do anything but I'm literally the ultimate ultra soldier" self-insertion, and so on. The media? "Honesty? What's that? We're here for the big news and the money boissssssssssss". Literally everyone but the JSDF, the military, are depicted as Disney villains.

To make an interesting comparison, think about how the Empire in the world of Gate is depicted. Kind of a decadent Roman Empire, an oppressive regime that's not even smart enough to realise they shouldn't pick a fight with the insanely more powerful Japan and whose stupidity is hurting its own citizens and oppressing most of them. Do you know what was the leading ideology of European Imperialism? We are not conquering these nations and people, we're helping them cuz they cannot properly manage things by themselves. We're basically doing them a favour!

The resemblance is striking. Gate romanticises Imperialism. And does it so thoroughly, so in your face and so sloppily, that it becomes rather silly.

34 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Not really. It's very pretty but it's not really striking any chords with me. Seems to be riding on hype and production values rather than anything much to me, but mine would be an unpopular opinion.

I see... that's part of what I have heard. I'll still at least watch the first episodes to see how I feel about it or, worst case scenario, at least enjoy the sights :sacchan: 

Edited by Jun Inoue

53 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Gate was a sloppy handjob to Japanese imperialism. The other world leaders are cartoonish villains, the "moderates" of the Japanese parliament are pictures as bitchy clowns who don't truly love Japan, the MC is a "I can't be bothered to do anything but I'm literally the ultimate ultra soldier" self-insertion, and so on. The media? "Honesty? What's that? We're here for the big news and the money boissssssssssss". Literally everyone but the JSDF, the military, are depicted as Disney villains.

To make an interesting comparison, think about how the Empire in the world of Gate is depicted. Kind of a decadent Roman Empire, an oppressive regime that's not even smart enough to realise they shouldn't pick a fight with the insanely more powerful Japan and whose stupidity is hurting its own citizens and oppressing most of them. Do you know what was the leading ideology of European Imperialism? We are not conquering these nations and people, we're helping them cuz they cannot properly manage things by themselves. We're basically doing them a favour!

The resemblance is striking. Gate romanticises Imperialism. And does it so thoroughly, so in your face and so sloppily, that it becomes rather silly.

Gate does have Rory, though so atleast it has a redeeming quality :)

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Gate is at least decent reading. I dropped Death March (web) before end of the prologue.

Edited by Beichuuka

You mean Gate is a good depiction of politics and stuff?

Gate is prolly the most propaganda-filled piece of work since Joseph Goebels' work...maybe with more cute girls, but it does serve the same purpose : make the japanese army look cool and good for filthy otakus so they engage in japan army and get to bang the waifus and all.

2 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

You mean Gate is a good depiction of politics and stuff?

Gate is prolly the most propaganda-filled piece of work since Joseph Goebels' work...maybe with more cute girls, but it does serve the same purpose : make the japanese army look cool and good for filthy otakus so they engage in japan army and get to bang the waifus and all.

Make Anime Great Again.

10 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I see... that's part of what I have heard. I'll still at least watch the first episodes to see how I feel about it or, worst case scenario, at least enjoy the sights :sacchan: 

It's a bit like the hype train that surrounded mahoutsukai no yome but that has more life to it and has some soul at least which makes it an above average watch, but not awesome. Evergarden just seems like a flashy production of something quite flat by comparison - and while portraying an emotionless character may have something to do with it, other works have done this in the past with great emotional effect.

26 minutes ago, ittaku said:

It's a bit like the hype train that surrounded mahoutsukai no yome but that has more life to it and has some soul at least which makes it an above average watch, but not awesome. Evergarden just seems like a flashy production of something quite flat by comparison - and while portraying an emotionless character may have something to do with it, other works have done this in the past with great emotional effect.

Which other works, if I may ask?

Emotionless characters are something of a preference of mine, you see.

Incidentally, I've watched one episode of Overlord II. I am very much up to date with the current season.

45 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Which other works, if I may ask?

Emotionless characters are something of a preference of mine, you see.

Geez talk about being put on the spot. Um, offhand in recent times I can only think of kiznaiver, planetarian, sakurasou no pet na kanojo and saekano?

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

I agree, that Evergarden is not amazing story wise, but yet it's not bad either. It's good show, with an okay story. However the art, music, VA and the pacing of things have been great in my humble opinion. I can see where the hype is coming from, if you never watched a emotionless heroine/protag this show might be intriguing. 

58 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I'm surprised by Saekano.

Sakurasou no Pet, huh? What did you like about the emotionlessness here?

I didn't per se, I just liked the show mostly. I didn't like the protagonist because all did was shout the whole time, but the rest was solid. As I said, you put me on the spot and I had to put my money where my mouth was; it was meant as a throwaway comment :P Saekano was more S2.