Jump to content
Plk_Lesiak

Winter 2018 Anime discussion

Recommended Posts

The fall season is ending, so let's start with the winter fun. :] 

From what I've seen so far the coming season looks seriously dull though - apart from the second half of Ancient Magus' Bride and Citrus I don't see any shows I would really care about. Anything you guys are looking forward to? 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's quite a few things I'll check out, but I agree that's quite dull overall.

I'll probably watch Fate/Extra (bc I'm a Fate fan and I love Red Saber), Card Captor Sakura (bc nostalgia, I used to watch it when I was 9 ^.^), Pop Team Epic (random humor seems like the shit I'll like) and maybe Junji Ito's Collection.

But yeah, I just want Spring season bc Digimon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Violet Evergarden, i'm pretty curious about it, since it had a score over 9 rated only from 1 episode

 

EDIT: It says it started airing in summer, but i heard it's suppsoed to start in January

Edited by Zidan209

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

There's quite a few things I'll check out, but I agree that's quite dull overall.

I'll probably watch Fate/Extra (bc I'm a Fate fan and I love Red Saber), Card Captor Sakura (bc nostalgia, I used to watch it when I was 9 ^.^), Pop Team Epic (random humor seems like the shit I'll like) and maybe Junji Ito's Collection.

But yeah, I just want Spring season bc Digimon.

I usually go with the flow and only check what is coming when the first episodes are out, so I'm surprised that a Fate/Extra anime is coming :D Kind of sad that we won't get any Tamamo :( I guess I will check it out after I binge watched Apocrypha and read through Ataraxia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, are you kidding dull? There's more I'm looking forward to this season (thanks to sequels and continuations) than many before. Perhaps because I've watched so much anime that the sequels mean something to me.

Nanatsu no taizai

Cardcaptor Sakura

Gintama

Saiki K

Mahoutsukai no Yome

Chuunibyou movie

Shinmai no Maou

And that's before even looking at new series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Plk_Lesiak   Change the title to Winter 2018

Definitely Overlord 2... I've been waiting for that since the first season.  I'm in love with Mahoutsukai no Yome (no pun intended).  Death March looks interesting.  Fate/Extra, of course.  Kokkoku will either be great or suck donkey butt.  More Saiki Kusuo is always a good thing.  Killing Bites looks like a nice gory side-trip.  Toji no Miko smells like shit, but I'll give it a chance.  Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens looks like one of those that will either turn out to be a cult classic or be forgotten and dropped by most after the first episode.  The Basilisk remake will be the first new ninja anime in quite some time, so I'm looking forward to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for the second season of Kancolle...
...I'm still waiting for any news about the Girls und Panzer Movie....hope it wasn't postponed.
Anyway, this winter I'll just watch all the masterpieces I've never watched, Like the Melanchony of Haruhi Suzumiya and many others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very often there is a hidden gem in a season that doesn't draw any attention till it starts airing, so I'll have to wait to dictate veredict, but for the time being I'll be watching Violet Evergarden (yeah, all aboard the hype train, though if it turns out to be bad it'll be a huge disappointment) and Citrus for my dosis of yuri (hopefully good. I've only heard good things about the manga). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Very often there is a hidden gem in a season that doesn't draw any attention till it starts airing, so I'll have to wait to dictate veredict

1

Aye, I'm always looking for those, that's also why I've already initiated this thread, to make sure that valuable info will flow here as soon as first episodes start showing up. ;> In this season I actually had two huge surprises, with Net-juu no Susume being far better than it had any right to be and Konohana Kitan evolving from a cute fluffy thing into something wonderfully touching. Maybe this one will also have some hidden gems. :)

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for Citrus as well. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that my favorite yuri manga was getting made into an anime. Other then that though, I can only wait for the Steins;Gate 0 anime adaptation (Even though it probably won't be coming in the winter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 1st episode of Citrus watched. Just one episode is not enough to make any reasonable judgment, but the characters seem to be fairly well-written; even though they appear as your prototypical cheap personalities you would expect to find in a hentai, I did notice a certain degree of depth beyond the appearances, as if something wasn't quite as simple; little details that foreshadow more complex personalities and circumstances than meet the eye. May be because of my background expectations that I'm more perceptive? I dunno :wafuu:

The VA is good, the art is pretty and the animation appropiate. Nothing extraordinary, but it does get the job done. 

What do you people think? Any comments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

So 1st episode of Citrus watched. Just one episode is not enough to make any reasonable judgment, but the characters seem to be fairly well-written; even though they appear as your prototypical cheap personalities you would expect to find in a hentai, I did notice a certain degree of depth beyond the appearances, as if something wasn't quite as simple; little details that foreshadow more complex personalities and circumstances than meet the eye. May be because of my background expectations that I'm more perceptive? I dunno :wafuu:

The VA is good, the art is pretty and the animation appropiate. Nothing extraordinary, but it does get the job done. 

What do you people think? Any comments?

It seems pretty decent so far. It's not pathetic filth material the way scum's wish was (which is what appealed to many and just annoyed the fuck out of me) but there are some uncomfortable elements. I do like the character but there are elements of her behaviour that feel a little forced like her exclamations and so on. Nonetheless I admit to having enjoyed watching the first episode and look forward to more if they can maintain that fine balance between uncomfortable relationships and interesting characters. So far the school president character is a bit 1 dimensional apart from her 'unexpected' behaviour. I suspect that will change. People all over the net are going mad over the heavy Yuri overtones in it but that's the least interesting thing to me... Getting excited by portrayal of something not done mainstream before is not reason enough to make something good. I also think the yuri element is a distraction rather than the point of the story, but we'll see. Either way it's remaining on my watch list for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The story so far of aired ones I even tried to watch:

Toji no Miko: Generic kick arse girls with super abilities show and the occasional 3D animation to save time. Surprisingly it's reasonably entertaining despite being generic. The very good Houseki no kuni last season made me stop hating on 3D, but 3D mixed in with 2D (like this show) still looks out of place.

Grancrest Senki: Another variation of a formula done to death, mage forming contracts, powering up their master, though somehow I found it entertaining and will continue watching.

Pop Team Epic: Complete troll show, yet I had a chuckle or two so I'll at least watch one more episode and then probably abandon it. How on earth can you make the second half of a show exactly the same as the first half with just different voice overs?

Sanrio Danshi: Bishounen show about boys that like cute things. So far surprisingly not too bad, but I doubt I'll make it to the end.

Citrus: Uncomfortable relationship show but with interesting main heroine, see previous post; will keep watching.

Slow Start: Cute girls doing cute things in high school. Very easy to watch and likely nothing will happen but will still be pleasant to watch.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho: Girls heading to Antarctica for dubious reasons, mildly entertaining so far, will continue.

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san: Food porn show about ramen and two girls. Luckily I love ramen so I'll keep watching.

Yuru Camp: Sounds so close to Yuri camp that it's a put off, but it's about (drumroll, high school girls) camping which is very out of character for mainstream Japanese making it mildly interesting. Characters are cute and generic enough to be inoffensive.

Mahoutsukai no Yome continued: Since it continues immediately after the first season it has the same qualities and is a very good watch.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen: Sequel to the infamous Card Captor Sakura series, now in middle school. Wasn't long ago that I finished the original series and I watched the movies in preparation for this sequel. So far is very true to the feel of the original series but with much more modernised animation. Fortunately they did NOT backtrack on any of the story elements of the previous series. Looking forward to more.

Other shows have also aired but got filtered before me even trying them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ittaku said:

It seems pretty decent so far. It's not pathetic filth material the way scum's wish was (which is what appealed to many and just annoyed the fuck out of me) but there are some uncomfortable elements. I do like the character but there are elements of her behaviour that feel a little forced like her exclamations and so on. Nonetheless I admit to having enjoyed watching the first episode and look forward to more if they can maintain that fine balance between uncomfortable relationships and interesting characters. So far the school president character is a bit 1 dimensional apart from her 'unexpected' behaviour. I suspect that will change. People all over the net are going mad over the heavy Yuri overtones in it but that's the least interesting thing to me... Getting excited by portrayal of something not done mainstream before is not reason enough to make something good. I also think the yuri element is a distraction rather than the point of the story, but we'll see. Either way it's remaining on my watch list for now.

But isn't the original manga very much about the taboo yuri romance itself? I find it surprising that people are still uncomfortable with not-blood-related incest stories, especially in a VN community. ^^

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

But isn't the original manga very much about the taboo yuri romance itself? I find it surprising that people are still uncomfortable with not-blood-related incest stories, especially in a VN community. ^^

I dunno as I haven't read it. If it ends up JUST being about that then I'll lose interest and switch off. I'm not uncomfortable with pretty much anything these days, but that doesn't mean they all excite me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I dunno as I haven't read it. If it ends up JUST being about that then I'll lose interest and switch off. I'm not uncomfortable with pretty much anything these days, but that doesn't mean they all excite me.

I wonder what you mean by being "just about that"? Taboo romance can be a great material for drama, it can devolve into pure fanservice of course, but I'm not sure what "more" would you want from a series like that other than an interesting clash of personalities and a couple trying to make sense of their socially-unacceptable feelings/struggling with social stigma? :)

I also don't know exactly where it will go BTW, as I didn't want to spoil it to myself, but what I wrote above is more or less what I'm hoping for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

it can devolve into pure fanservice of course

It perfectly could, but I'll be the optimist and prematurely say that I doubt it. It doesn't quite have the amount of fanservice. Sure, you see some boobage and stuff, but not quite what you would expect in a 1st episode of what's going to be an ecchi fiesta, which considering they usually go all in at the beginning to hook the target demographic, that's saying something.

Hope I won't have to swallow my words :notlikemiya:

Edited by Thyndd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×