Getting bored of SoL VN's (mostly moege)

-soraa

Which one should I play?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I play?

• Fate/stay night
    • Rewrite

Hello :)

Since last week I started to play Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort and IMHHW
But I am getting really bored. I played 2 Route's in Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort then I stalled it and in IMHHW I am nearly done with the common Route. 
However I have no motivation to finish it and I need something else with a great Story and an awesome Protagonist.

Therefore I am thinking to play Fate/stay night or Rewrite (I heard that Lucia's Route is really good) 
I liked Fate/stay night UBW because Shiro is just an awesome Protagonist. I also love his Ideal and Philosophie to be a Hero of Justice *______* 
Furthermore there were great other Characters like Illya<3, Gilgamesh, Sakura and so on. 

BUT the Anime was too short and it was a little bit too rushed.
Is it worth to play the VN, altough I already watched the Anime and know whats going to happen? 
Because I am looking for a story that captivates me with great Plot-Twists and an badass/awesome Protagonist. 
I don't need a boring common Route...  with a lot of SoL and comedy because I am sick of it. 

Also there are 3 diffrent Routes in Fate/Stay night:
- Fate Route --> I won't play it. I am not a fan of Saber. 
- UBW Route --> watched the Anime, is it worth?
- HF Route --> I am really curious about this route. 

But I can't decide between Rewrite or Fate/stay night. 

PS: Isn't there a Android Version for Fate/stay night? 

Edited by -soraa

Fate\Stay Night was really awesome (there was boring Slice of Life moments but the good moments were awesome).

There's an enforced playing order, you'll have to read the Fate route like it or not, and also it's an introductory route so it's recommended to read first. The UBW anime doesn't tell the whole thing, to fully understand what is going on you need to play all 3 routes.

3 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Fate\Stay Night was really awesome (there was boring Slice of Life moments but the good moments were awesome).

There's an enforced playing order, you'll have to read the Fate route like it or not, and also it's an introductory route so it's recommended to read first. The UBW anime doesn't tell the whole thing, to fully understand what is going on you need to play all 3 routes.

The order is not enforced anymore in the Realta Nua PC version, since each route is a separate file, like episodic novels. It's not really recommended though, but yeah he can do it if he wants.

1 minute ago, MaggieROBOT said:

The order is not enforced anymore in the Realta Nua PC version, since each route is a separate file, like episodic novels. It's not really recommended though, but yeah he can do it if he wants.

Yes (but he will not get the full story since F\SN is (in a sense) a Multiple Route Mystery VN (or at least has elements of it))

14 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

To answer your question: neither.

And no, you can't escape from SoL. Every vn has bits of it, to a lesser or bigger extent.

I'd recommend changing tastes for a while, playing less shitty games might help.

You have to define what shit is and what isn't... I mean that is a subjective question and it's different from person to person. 
But yes I should change the genre... And what is your opinion between Fate/stay night and Rewrite, if you played it because I don't know whether your VNDB list up to date or not. 

Edited by -soraa

I think Narcosis meant your average moege, since they are pretty much the same, using those sol tropes in really uncreative ways.

But he have a point, saying you can't avoid sol completely. But maybe picking something more action oriented or with a really unusual setting and not your typical high school can make you motivated again.

Or read nukiges. There's not much sol there bc there's not really time for that :P But I doubt that's what you're looking for.

24 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

I think Narcosis meant your average moege, since they are pretty much the same, using those sol tropes in really uncreative ways.

But he have a point, saying you can't avoid sol completely. But maybe picking something more action oriented or with a really unusual setting and not your typical high school can make you motivated again.

Or read nukiges. There's not much sol there bc there's not really time for that :P But I doubt that's what you're looking for.

:P No Nukiges^^ I am not a fan of this genre.

Yeah, I am getting bored of moege VN's and I am sick of them now. Therefore I was thinking to give a try with Fate/stay night or Rewrite but I am indecisive which VN I should read first. 
Something with a good story, plot-twist, drama and character development but not a lovely school story with a cheesy-drama, cute characters and no story.

But good to know, that I can't always/never avoid SoL. 

Edited by -soraa

I agree with Narcosis. Both of these VNs have quite a lot of SOL scenes. Rewrite is basically SOL in the common route, with little hints that something "grand" might be happening behind the scenes. And the common route in really long, comparing in length with Grisaia's common route, I think. FSN has a lot of SOL scenes, to the point that they actually get pretty boring at some points. And they continue throughout the whole story, excluding maybe the second half of UBW and the final third of Heaven's feel. Honestly, if you're tired of slice of live, I can't recommend either of these.

3 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I agree with Narcosis. Both of these VNs have quite a lot of SOL scenes. Rewrite is basically SOL in the common route, with little hints that something "grand" might be happening behind the scenes. And the common route in really long, comparing in length with Grisaia's common route, I think. FSN has a lot of SOL scenes, to the point that they actually get pretty boring at some points. And they continue throughout the whole story, excluding maybe the second half of UBW and the final third of Heaven's feel. Honestly, if you're tired of slice of live, I can't recommend either of these.

To be more exact I am tired of the same typ of VN's like Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort, IMHHWNoble ☆ Works and so on. Non of them has a good story. Therefore I am looking for something dark, nakige, thrilling story, a good Main Character .... etc.
Rewrite's common route is just as long a Grisaia? 

1 hour ago, -soraa said:

To be more exact I am tired of the same typ of VN's like Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort, IMHHWNoble ☆ Works and so on. Non of them has a good story. Therefore I am looking for something dark, nakige, thrilling story, a good Main Character .... etc.
Rewrite's common route is just as long a Grisaia? 

If so, you may try picking FSN. Imo, both of these VNs have good stories, but they take quite long to get to. If you are fine with spending 10-20 hours on pure comedy and slice-of-life to get to more story-focused parts after that, then picking Rewrite works. (Edit. You aren't, I should've read the first post more attentively.) I personally liked that comedy, but I've also seen some people saying they hated it, so it depends. FSN's SOL scenes, on the other hand, are kind of more evenly spread, but again, the first route you play, Fate, is basically SOL, interrupted from time to time by a battle scene or two. Fate route does have a good story, but it's a general opinion that FSN gets much better at UBW (or even at the second half of UBW).

As for the common routes of Rewrite and Grisaia, I didn't really compare them in length, but I think they are more or less similar. On the other hand, in Rewrite it's already decided by the middle of the common route which girl you are going to end up with, and the later scenes are heavily altered depending on that, so you can say it's actually shorter.

PS. Oh, I missed that you are going to skip Fate. Actually, I am not sure if I recommend to do it, since FSN is designed to be a linear experience and it's best when experienced as such, but since you already have some experience with the story, then I guess it works, probably. UBW anime, I think, adapts the story of UBW more or less faithfully, so you can try it, and if you're bored, switch to Heaven's Feel. Note however that it has much slower pacing and much less fight scenes, but it's my personal favorite of FSN routes.

Edited by Dreamysyu

1 hour ago, -soraa said:

:P No Nukiges^^ I am not a fan of this genre.

Yeah, I am getting bored of moege VN's and I am sick of them now. Therefore I was thinking to give a try with Fate/stay night or Rewrite but I am indecisive which VN I should read first. 
Something with a good story, plot-twist, drama and character development but not a lovely school story with a cheesy-drama, cute characters and no story.

But good to know, that I can't always/never avoid SoL. 

The issue with Rewrite is before that "grand" thing happens, you will die from boredom. Rewrite is Key's weakest work so far.
As for F/SN, game in a nutshell:

Spoiler

FSN_h.png

You probably need to change approach, if you want to see better stuff. That, or maybe the types of vn's you pick. Drop the popular stuff. Read the hidden gems and things people don't discuss on every single animay forum.

What I can recommend right now, based on the feedback you left (no particular order):

1. Cannonball - One of the greatest Space Opera vn's out there. Best main duo in the history of eroge and many memorable characters. Contains a ton of references to many classical sci-fi works and requires such knowledge to be fully understood and appreciated; quite a lot of sex scenes as well. Old school art style and quirks might not be to everyone's taste. Large portion of the vn relies on a racing game and choices made during that time have impact on the storyline; some people loved it, others hated. You've been warned.
  2. Along the Edge - Western vn about a young woman, trying to escape from her past. Plot changes massively along with the female protagonist - both appearance and personality-wise, based on the choices you make. Many different endings. Recommended.
  3. Dead End Junction - Wild west meets fantasy doujin vn, with a lot of travelling and adventures. Great, likeable cast of characters and engaging plot. Pray for Hizune to write a sequel.
  4. Sekien no Inganock - Fantasy steampunk with a captivating story. Magnificent world building and all round good prose, that borderlines on poetry at times. Interesting characters. Beautiful Soundtrack. Highly recommended.
  5. Shikkoku no Sharnoth - Another WAB series game by Hikaru Sakurai, as above. Might be even better than Inganock, especially if you like fictional London-based settings. One of the best female leads in history of eroge.
  6. Everlasting Summer - Also known as the russian "Katawa Shoujo". Part denpa, part russian sci-fi with heavy influences from 80's fiction. Interesting story, if you're willing to sit through the entire game. Great Soundtrack.
  7. Saya no Uta - One of the very best horror vn's, based on Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. Ending the game will leave you speechless for quite a while.
  8. Demonbane - As above - More Cthulhu mythos, only with 300% more mecha. As with Cannonball, it's an oldschool game and might not be to everyone's tastes. Al Azif is <3

Those games have far less slice of life and typically focus much more on drama, action and adventure. I could add more, but titles I have in mind contain too much SoL to be taken into consideration (you need a break, otherwise you'll burnout). I'd also advise to stay away from goddamn long games and play more shorter ones; It's more healthy that way.

Edited by Narcosis

15 hours ago, -soraa said:

Hello :)

Since last week I started to play Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort and IMHHW
But I am getting really bored. I played 2 Route's in Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort then I stalled it and in IMHHW I am nearly done with the common Route. 
However I have no motivation to finish it and I need something else with a great Story and an awesome Protagonist.

Therefore I am thinking to play Fate/stay night or Rewrite (I heard that Lucia's Route is really good) 
I liked Fate/stay night UBW because Shiro is just an awesome Protagonist. I also love his Ideal and Philosophie to be a Hero of Justice *______* 
Furthermore there were great other Characters like Illya<3, Gilgamesh, Sakura and so on. 

BUT the Anime was too short and it was a little bit too rushed.
Is it worth to play the VN, altough I already watched the Anime and know whats going to happen? 
Because I am looking for a story that captivates me with great Plot-Twists and an badass/awesome Protagonist. 
I don't need a boring common Route...  with a lot of SoL and comedy because I am sick of it. 

Also there are 3 diffrent Routes in Fate/Stay night:
- Fate Route --> I won't play it. I am not a fan of Saber. 
- UBW Route --> watched the Anime, is it worth?
- HF Route --> I am really curious about this route. 

But I can't decide between Rewrite or Fate/stay night. 

PS: Isn't there a Android Version for Fate/stay night? 

Play the reality Nua version of Fate NOT the android version.

It is not something so simple as character routes. It's almost secondary. The Fate route does a lot of word building. It definitely isn't the best, but is something that should not be skipped. While it does deal with the relationship with saber, romance is completely secondary.

UBW anime, overlooked 80% of the route. It's not good on its own, the only reason I watched it was to see my favorite characters in beautiful ufotable animation.

Heaven's feel is probably the best route, at least it was my favorite. If you do plan on playing it, please do not watch the movies first.

Fate was made chronologically, Fate->UBW->HF. You were not allowed to skip routes or deviate from this order. This was done for a reason. Many concepts introduced in later routes rely on understanding from previous routes. Events that happen in HF, are a lot more effective and comparisons and contrasts between the shirou of this route and the shirou of the UBW route can be made. This impacts your experience greatly.

Having watched the anime, which almost feels like a string of badly executed spoilers, it will impact your experience of the first 2 routes, however enough has been overlooked or changed, that you will probably enjoy the VN regardless. And heaven's feel alone makes it worth it.

Play this rather than rewrite because, rewrite+ will come out sometime next year, with better translation/additional routes and content, so wait for that. Also, the chuuni may be a nice change of pace from what you have been reading so far. (slice-of-lifey drama's)

@Narcosis The sex in fate is very,very bad. The writer himself didn't want to write the sex scenes. In later games like ataraxia, some one else was hired to write them, and they were at least decent. There wasn't enough sex in fate that you could define it by the h-content though.

Edited by Akshay

4 hours ago, Akshay said:

Play the reality Nua version of Fate NOT the android version.

It is not something so simple as character routes. It's almost secondary. The Fate route does a lot of word building. It definitely isn't the best, but is something that should not be skipped. While it does deal with the relationship with saber, romance is completely secondary.

UBW anime, overlooked 80% of the route. It's not good on its own, the only reason I watched it was to see my favorite characters in beautiful ufotable animation.

Heaven's feel is probably the best route, at least it was my favorite. If you do plan on playing it, please do not watch the movies first.

Fate was made chronologically, Fate->UBW->HF. You were not allowed to skip routes or deviate from this order. This was done for a reason. Many concepts introduced in later routes rely on understanding from previous routes. Events that happen in HF, are a lot more effective and comparisons and contrasts between the shirou of this route and the shirou of the UBW route can be made. This impacts your experience greatly.

Having watched the anime, which almost feels like a string of badly executed spoilers, it will impact your experience of the first 2 routes, however enough has been overlooked or changed, that you will probably enjoy the VN regardless. And heaven's feel alone makes it worth it.

Play this rather than rewrite because, rewrite+ will come out sometime next year, with better translation/additional routes and content, so wait for that. Also, the chuuni may be a nice change of pace from what you have been reading so far. (slice-of-lifey drama's)

@Narcosis The sex in fate is very,very bad. The writer himself didn't want to write the sex scenes. In later games like ataraxia, some one else was hired to write them, and they were at least decent. There wasn't enough sex in fate that you could define it by the h-content though.

Okay I will play all route's and take my time. How long does it take to finish "Fate" & "UBW" if I play 1-2h each day?
Is the english translation in Fate/stay night average or very good? 

Actually I am playing the Realta Nua Version on my android already xP --> Here is a nice GUIDE if you use Kirikiroid2
Why on Android? It is easier... I can read the VN now everywhere as for instance in the subway when I go to the university and I don't always have my laptop with me. Furthermore it's uncomfortable to use it in the subway.

The HF movie is a trilogy and until all three are out in EngSub it will take 2 years but I can't wait anymore.

I will wait for Rewrite+. Thank you. 

Edited by -soraa

1 hour ago, -soraa said:

Okay I will play all route's and take my time. How long does it take to finish "Fate" & "UBW" if I play 1-2h each day?

Actually I am playing the Realta Nua Version on my android already xP --> Here is a nice GUIDE if you use Kirikiroid2
Why on Android? It is easier... I can read the VN now everywhere as for instance in the subway when I go to the university and I don't always have my laptop with me. Furthermore it's uncomfortable to use it in the subway.

The HF movie is a trilogy and until all three are out in EngSub it will take 2 years but I can't wait anymore.

I took my around 20+ to read each routes (with the exception of UBW since I marathon-ed it), including seeing all endings and all variations of flavor text. 

NOTE: I also recommend seeing the Safe for Work version of the ero content, since some scenes are really cool (they also provide CG collection). To unlock the final epilogue called "Last Episode" you need to see all endings (bad included) and read all hint corners.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, -soraa said:

To answer your questions

1.Time -> The fate route is the shortest, don't remember how short it was. Heaven's Feel was the longest. I remember It took me 20 hours and UBW was a little shorter than HF. Of course fate was one of the VN's I read when I started out so my reading speed was a lot slower than it is now.

For the android version,:

This is the 18+ version with H-scenes enabled, and no way to turn them off.
Characters are properly voiced (except for the H-scenes, of course). However, there is no BGM. <- The reality nua BGM is the PS3 link which is amazing
There are script errors where the English isn't grammatically accurate or the voice does not match the English text (IIRC this is also present in the PC Realta Nua patch, though in lesser quantity). There are also... some of the other kind of script errors.
Since it's converted to VNDS instead of being run by the KiriKiri engine, you don't get the fancy menus that are on the PC version. The main menu has two options: read Prologue, or start the VN.
This means save/load is handled entirely by VNDS, and it is not possible to transfer saves between this and any PC install you may have.
.Auto-read is fairly terrible, as it doesn't wait for the voice clip to finish playing before moving onto the next line.
The SFX and other features added by the Beast's Lair Patch are, of course, not present.

The skip function is terrible, to non-existent so if you are trying to save at choices get bad endings and skip back you will have a terrible experience.

On the PC ful size is 7gb. On the android the full install amounts to 1.10GB once uncompressed.

If you can overlook these things then you can pay it on the android.

33 minutes ago, Akshay said:

To answer your questions

1.Time -> The fate route is the shortest, don't remember how short it was. Heaven's Feel was the longest. I remember It took me 20 hours and UBW was a little shorter than HF. Of course fate was one of the VN's I read when I started out so my reading speed was a lot slower than it is now.

For the android version,:

This is the 18+ version with H-scenes enabled, and no way to turn them off.
Characters are properly voiced (except for the H-scenes, of course). However, there is no BGM. <- The reality nua BGM is the PS3 link which is amazing
There are script errors where the English isn't grammatically accurate or the voice does not match the English text (IIRC this is also present in the PC Realta Nua patch, though in lesser quantity). There are also... some of the other kind of script errors.
Since it's converted to VNDS instead of being run by the KiriKiri engine, you don't get the fancy menus that are on the PC version. The main menu has two options: read Prologue, or start the VN.
This means save/load is handled entirely by VNDS, and it is not possible to transfer saves between this and any PC install you may have.
.Auto-read is fairly terrible, as it doesn't wait for the voice clip to finish playing before moving onto the next line.
The SFX and other features added by the Beast's Lair Patch are, of course, not present.

The skip function is terrible, to non-existent so if you are trying to save at choices get bad endings and skip back you will have a terrible experience.

On the PC ful size is 7gb. On the android the full install amounts to 1.10GB once uncompressed.

If you can overlook these things then you can pay it on the android.

Bro... I am really greatful for your help but you didn't even read my post and the guide correctly....

For the android Version there are 2 different ways to play it on your smartphone.

VNDB or Kirikiroid2.

I am using Kirikiroid2 and I don't need the 1.10GB Fate/stay night version!
Because I am using the realta nua Version for the PC with 7GB on my smartphone and you can transfer the savedata between your computer and smartphone without problems.
Furthermore there is a BGM with the realta nua Version and it's working. 

You have to use this part and not the one above: realta nua on android

2 minutes ago, -soraa said:

Bro... I am really greatful for your help but you didn't even read my post and the guide correctly....

For the android Version there are 2 different ways to play it on your smartphone.

VNDB or Kirikiroid2.

I am using Kirikiroid2 and I don't need the 1.10GB Fate/stay night version!
Because I am using the realta nua Version for the PC with 7GB on my smartphone and you can transfer the savedata between your computer and smartphone without problems.
Furthermore there is a BGM with the realta nua Version and it's working. 

You have to use this part and not the one above: realta nua on android

Then you actually do get most of the functionality. I was looking at the first one. On the other hand, the skip functions on android are still notoriously bad. If you can deal with that there is no other disadvantage. Do you get the PC menu's/Beast lair mods?

Edited by Akshay

7 minutes ago, Akshay said:

Then you actually do get most of it. I was looking at the first one. On the other hand, the skip functions on android are stil notoriously bad. If you can dea with that there is no other disadvantage

Didn't test the skip function at the moment but you can transfer the save data between PC and Smartphone. Therefore it shouldn't be a great problem, if the skip function is bad on Kirikiroid2.

PS: You can also use the menu and extra with Kirikiroid2 on your android device. 

Edited by -soraa

1 hour ago, -soraa said:

Didn't test the skip function at the moment but you can transfer the save data between PC and Smartphone. Therefore it shouldn't be a great problem, if the skip function is bad on Kirikiroid2.

PS: You can also use the menu and extra with Kirikiroid2 on your android device. 

There's no need to use skip all the much, since Fate has a feature that when you beat the game, events you already seen will give you an option to skip them entirely. (Also look for the Realta Nua flowchart online, it's really helpful if you want to see everything and to understand how the point system works).

Well, Akshay is right, it's definitely a good idea to read all FSN routes in the way as it was intended. Just a small piece of advice: if at some point in the game you really don't feel like continuing, take a break and read something else. FSN requires some patience to finish, and considering the thing you wrote before, you might be not so far from burning out about vns in general, considering how common certain tropes are. (I've been there about a year ago, and I haven't really fully recovered yet.)

1 hour ago, -soraa said:

Well, FSN doesn't really require much skipping, so it should be okay.

... should there even be a question here?  Even amongst the 'sort-of chuuni' games that have been translated, Rewrite is pretty far down the list in terms of quality... and if you put it up against FSN, there is no contest.  It's like pitting a housecat against a dragon.

Edited by Clephas