A Sky Full of Stars - How is it really?

exaccuss

25 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Buying it just condones censorship.

I agree, honestly just don't buy this. Moenovel has so far treated the western VN fans like trash. Unless they actually start fixing their atitude towards the west I would recommend you to pirate from them rather than buy if you really want the game. If not just ignore it like I will, lots of other good VNs out there.

36 minutes ago, Satsuki said:

Any hamster wanna sacrifice himself? :ph34r:

I'm quite curious about whether or not they took some lessons from IMHHW.

Not me... :P

I am also really curious but if we wait a little bit there should be enough Review's and opinions on steam, reddit and maybe on other sites.

Edited by -soraa

On 12/15/2017 at 5:28 PM, bakauchuujin said:

I agree, honestly just don't buy this. Moenovel has so far treated the western VN fans like trash. Unless they actually start fixing their atitude towards the west I would recommend you to pirate from them rather than buy if you really want the game. If not just ignore it like I will, lots of other good VNs out there.

To me, it's easier said than done because I'm sure that their capital still strong at the moment so much that the piracies wouldn't be enough to slow them down. As for Miagete, there's always people who willing to buy that censored VN namely the Steam only people that just find out of how good all age VN was, and most likely just stick at Steam for their online store. I agree that Pulltop business deal was questionable because they could just stick with Mangagamer that allow them to release both of 18+ and Steam, or actually they could just make a deal with JAST again because it's their first partner for international release (Princess Waltz) - slower than snail development time aside.

Anyway, seeing that according to Clephas that Pulltop decayed after Konosora, perhaps it's safe to said that we better to just skip Miagete and focused on more good VNs release in the near future like either Tokeijikake or Sorcery Joker (Or if we strictly limit to star viewing Hoshimemo). One of those future releases should obviously have the H scenes intact, especially in regard of Sorcery Joker in which it will have 18+ and Steam release simultaneously. Although it's too bad though if we ignore this, because the score that Clephas gave back at VNDB was good enough (At 7.9).

As for whether Pulltop learn their lesson from Konosora or not, at least their Lovekami VNs translation did get less critic in regard of translation compared to Konosora if that's count as learning their lesson. Then again, less people interested with that so I don't know whether I should think that as Pulltop achievement or not because it mean most of people won't try those two VNs.

Edited by littleshogun

Honestly speaking, I don't mind supporting them if they did a good job this time. "If".

I'm also fine with all-ages (I always ctrl through the H-scenes anyway), as long as they don't censor every single thing with even just a little bit sexual suggestive, then I'm good.

Edited by Satsuki

Reposting this from the other thread:

I have a review copy and have been playing it for several days, though not very actively. I am still early in the common route (encountered no choices so far).

Some thoughts about what I've read so far:

The script contains occasional bits of sexual humor. A woman sending the protagonist a picture of her cleavage to cheer him up hasn't been altered. This is something that would have been changed in IMHHW. I don't yet know if stuff like bath scenes have been changed, if more explicit sexual talk is changed, or how the lead-ins to h-scenes and stuff are handled.

The translation so far is considerably better than IMHHW. For the common route at least, it feels like a native English speaker actually touched these scripts at some point in the process. There are still occasional grammar errors and the prose is pretty sloppy.

I expect a large level of inconsistency from a Moenovel game this big, so other parts of the game may be considerably worse (or better). As of now though, I'd say this translation is a little below average based on what we typically see from official releases.

Edited by Decay

If someone who knows Japanese can compares two versions and find differences and test TL quality... would be awesome.

Still wondering, is it worth for even buying on Steam. Maybe, is it possible to make fan 18+ patch now? Or not? How Pulltop Engine works with that (AvdHD, huh?). Those who can't crop less than 1280x720...

12 hours ago, Satsuki said:

I'm quite curious about whether or not they took some lessons from IMHHW.

They kind of did. If you checked out their previous releases of the two Love Kami games, their English release was aimed at 17+ age. So the game still contains fan-service such as like breasts and butts. The only thing different from the Japanese version is that there are no H-scenes.

This game as well is aimed at 17+ age, so I would assume it's basically the same as the Japanese version without the H-scenes.

Edited by Kaito1

• 4 weeks later...

I pirated this because fck Moenovel and read 2 routes, its...okay i guess but unless you like Astronomy you'd find it a chore to read, i had to skip a lot of stuff when they were explaining about Stars and shit 

as for character routes, the 2 i did were okay...there are too many 'Childhood friends' here for my liking lol instead of Korona why not give that route to the Sensei? Why put that in FD ;c

The positives are they trimmed down on the censorship to just the ero scenes, so the bath scene kiss scenes are all intact and the translation is not machine done...

14 minutes ago, Freestyle80 said:

The positives are they trimmed down on the censorship to just the ero scenes, so the bath scene kiss scenes are all intact and the translation is not machine done...

Based on some reports from someone else on the restoration project, there is a chance they still made slight changes to lines hinting at sex having occured etc, so some dialogue might have been censored as well. (Though to a much smaller extent compared to previous Moenovel releases.) 

If this is the case, we will probably re-translate those lines on top of the H. (For the people who did not know, we are currently working on a restoration patch for this game.) 

1 hour ago, Dergonu said:

Based on some reports from someone else on the restoration project, there is a chance they still made slight changes to lines hinting at sex having occured etc, so some dialogue might have been censored as well. (Though to a much smaller extent compared to previous Moenovel releases.) 

If this is the case, we will probably re-translate those lines on top of the H. (For the people who did not know, we are currently working on a restoration patch for this game.) 

I did not know about the restoration project, nice

yeah actually now that you mention it there is no 'hints' or any lines that says that the MC and the heroine did it so it was probably cut, but it didnt feel too unnatural atleast liek IMHHW

7 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Hmm, i thought you were waiting to evaluate translator's translation. Did you guys start another project?

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

Hmm, i thought you were waiting to evaluate translator's translation. Did you guys start another project?

I got in touch with them and did that yesterday. 

(EDIT: To clearify, I did not start a new project, but looked at the translation yesterday. I'm now on the project as a TLC. :P )

16 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

As for that, they actually censor the bath scene. Though it's not as bad as back at Konosora in which they had towel when Kotori in the water, but instead what we get here is the fog covered the girls nipple. Oh, and they also censored one of SD CG in which they did drawing the new CG for that - the original SD CG that was censored was quite graphic.

7 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

So the translation can't be THAT bad, then.  That's good news.

It's not that bad, no. The first TLer is clearly new to TLing, so his work is a tab bit literal, but it's not filled with mistakes like I feared, so I mainly only need to polish them, not re-translate them.

We also have one more TLer on, who is of a much higher skill level, so the TL being inaccurate should not be a problem at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I truly enjoyed it. Personally, I find it really frustrating that people are making excuses for the "censorship". It was refreshing to have something that wasn't completely centered around perverted bullshit for once. Sometimes, it's nice to have an easy-going, light-hearted story that centers around romance with the occasional perverted motif. The story had a fantastic plot and with decent character progression while managing to remain relatively familiar and pleasant. The mistakes are just nitpicking and the work isn't being appreciated for the story content that is truly there.

Nobody opposes censored releases.  (Well, okay, some people do.  They're crazy.)  What people oppose are censored only releases.  People give MoeNovel well-deserved flack because of their plans to not give people the choice to read the versions they want to read, and the condescending and insulting ways they've gone about this.  I want them to stop.  If they won't, I want them to go away and let other people release the games instead.  I don't want the games not released at all.  I don't want them released like this.  None of this in any way reflects badly on you; you should read what you want to read.  Just don't try to tell me that I shouldn't read what I want to read too.  No, MoeNovel's "mistakes" (which aren't mistakes because they were deliberate) are not "just nitpicking".

I enjoyed the game. I wouldn't say it was fantastic, but it was still pretty enjoyable. I will most likely read it again if it ever got a restoration patch, but i doubt that anyone is in a hurry to start making one right now.

Edited by exaccuss