Which VN should I play next?

akaritan

Next VN  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Next VN

• Kara no Shoujo 2
    • Steins;Gate 0
    • Danganronpa V3

I haven't read completed a VN in a good while, and these three all look good and have been on my radar for a long time. And I'm indecisive so I just decided that I would let Fuwa settle this for me. :sachi: S;G0 has been of interest to me since it came out, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Everyone and their grandmothers love Steins;gate, and with good reason- you just can't go wrong with it. KnS 1 sort of bored me but from the sounds of it this one fixes a lot of the problems I had with 1 (clunky ui, bland ost, couldn't really care about the characters). And I know I'm going to like V3 no matter what, even though it'll probably be really stupid. Especially because it'll probably end  up being really stupid.

Edited by akaritan
typo

S;G0 is a waste of time, as a fan of S;G it was a big disappointment. Everything that made S;G a great vn was lost in S;G0.Okarin is a wimpy crying guy, even if you understand his reasons of why he is acting that way it just doesn't fit his character.
Maho is a great character but is not on par with Kurisu. 
You get this NVL parts with secondary characters that nobody cares and spent a lot of time developing them... again, nobody cares, it's a big waste of time, like Ruka.
Finally, to sum all up, it just doesn't add anything to the plot or the overall story.

I will suggest KnS2, the translation is excellent (probably the last GOOD translation I've seen)- The first hours are superb, after that the vn drops out the pace and quality overall and picks it up at the end again.

Overall better than KnS, specially because of the voice acting of the main character, a good and solid sequel, so my recommendation goes to this one.

Can't comment on Danganronpa 

Edited by Deep Blue

Let's see what I could write here, even though I may be wrong here.

As for Steins Gate 0, I admit that it's good VN. For more detail, I won't say that it's a big waste of time though but instead it was a nice choice if you want to knew more about Steins Gate. That said, to enjoy SG0 you probably should play it until either Mayuri's or Kurisu's route then you could started SG0 before tackling the true route, because it was more like interquel from what I understand. Oh, and by the way most of the stories were came from Steins Gate additional light novels.

From what I saw when I tried this, Kara no Shoujo 2 did have the Seven Deadly Sins theme in the chapter titles, and have very lengthy flashback for the new characters. It was quite divisive from what I understand, but what you should know is that Reiji's and the older characters were take a backseat at the beginning for hours because of the aftermentioned flashback - make sense if we consider that this supposed to be about new characters before they decided to add Reiji's story (ie the main story) that was unresolved in first Kara no Shoujo. It was resolved here at least, but unfortunately it was resolved at the very end of the VN and even then it was very obvious that it was set up as the Sequel Hook. So in short, I think we could see this as the second part of trilogy if you're focused on the main plot only (Just like Phoenix Wright trilogy in which it also borrow some elements from there in regard of the investigations) which mean that it will be resolved in the third VN, but if you want to just focused on the new characters then yeah they're mostly get satisfying conclusion.

V3 was supposed to the the final part of Danganronpa, only that it's twist was remind me of Star Ocean 3 infamous twist although it's probably because the creator want to emphasize that he don't want to make another Dangan Ronpa VN anymore, at least for now. Oh and actually it did have an interesting Decoy MC at the first chapter, but at the end of first chapter the Decoy MC was got a brutal forced retirement and we got to see the real MC which is a detective. Most of the fans were dislike that fact, because the creator made the Decoy MC a bit TOO interesting for the series (The reason was because the Decoy MC was an optimistic woman who is initially not a detective compared to the male MC, something that the fans did find that very interesting because it's quite rare to see female MC inside man oriented VNs outside yuri/shoujo ai VNs). In the end, I would still said that it's a good addition though for Dangan Ronpa fans only that it might be bored the longtime fans though, because it was followed Strictly Formula that the franchise have.

So after I wrote this, I think you should try Kara no Shoujo 2 as well because looks like you already finished Steins Gate there and Dangan Ronpa might be not good for you. Keep in mind that you probably better focused on the new characters instead of the main plot, because it was obvious that the effort goes there - the main plot still got the focus alright, just not as much.

Edited by littleshogun

18 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

S;G0 is a waste of time, as a fan of S;G it was a big disappointment. Everything that made S;G a great vn was lost in S;G0.Okarin is a wimpy crying guy, even if you understand his reasons of why he is acting that way it just doesn't fit his character.
Maho is a great character but is not on par with Kurisu. 
You get this NVL parts with secondary characters that nobody cares and spent a lot of time developing them... again, nobody cares, it's a big waste of time, like Ruka.
Finally, to sum all up, it just doesn't add anything to the plot or the overall story.

I will suggest KnS2, the translation is excellent (probably the last GOOD translation I've seen)- The first hours are superb, after that the vn drops out the pace and quality overall and picks it up at the end again.

Overall better than KnS, specially because of the voice acting of the main character, a good and solid sequel, so my recommendation goes to this one.

Can't comment on Danganronpa 

Did we read the same VN?

I'll answer you, poll person, all 3 VNs are great, if possible, play them 3, just be aware, S;G 0 is the shortest of them, while, if i'm not mistaken, Kara no Shoujo is the longest of them. 
I don't wanna give you my opinion on them because i don't want to spoil your fun, just...go for them, you can't mistake yourself.

I'm extremely biased here but KnS2 is a nice read. Has over 50 characters, reiji is voiced, with top-notch art (like really, it's pretty) and bgm. Storywise, overall great plot and I didn't see it coming so well-played ig. Never bored considering that it was lengthy. Most of all, the game has Yukari who is the best imouto ever.