Considering learning another language

akaritan

After around 2 years cramming Japanese with flashcards and textbooks, I think I want to start practicing another one on the side- partially for a change of pace, and partially because I want to try something easier. I want a language with good classical literature, so I'm thinking either French or German (leaning heavily towards French). Almost certainly a European language, and definitely not another Asian one. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Am I making a terrible mistake?

4 hours ago, akaritan said:

After around 2 years cramming Japanese with flashcards and textbooks, I think I want to start practicing another one on the side- partially for a change of pace, and partially because I want to try something easier. I want a language with good classical literature, so I'm thinking either French or German (leaning heavily towards French). Almost certainly a European language, and definitely not another Asian one. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Am I making a terrible mistake?

Brazilian Portuguese have so good old literature, but, it's easier to talk in wingdings than learn portuguese...

Why don't you try learning Libra, it's can be useful to help\talk to deaf people.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Brazilian Portuguese have so good old literature, but, it's easier to talk in wingdings than learn portuguese...

Why don't you try learning Libra, it's can be useful to help\talk to deaf people.

LIBRAS is specifically for brazilian people. The sign language for each country differs completely, just like any oral language.

Don't try any neolatinas, such as portuguese, spanish, italian, french... it is a trap!

28 minutes ago, Silvz said:

LIBRAS is specifically for brazilian people. The sign language for each country differs completely, just like any oral language.

Yeah, I forgot about it for a moment xoD

7 hours ago, akaritan said:

Try a slavic language.  The world is saturated with people who have learned German and French.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Andromis said:

Learning Polish right now as I have a study abroad trip to Krakow this summer. It does also help that I have a family member who is full polish to help along the way as well.

Oh man, I don't know if I should encourage you or feel sorry for you. Polish grammar is nasty and I can say that with full responsibility, as a dyslectic Pole that has to deal with it every day. :D I wish you good luck regardless. ;)

2 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Oh man, I don't know if I should encourage you or feel sorry for you. Polish grammar is nasty and I can say that with full responsibility, as a dyslectic Pole that has to deal with it every day. :D I wish you good luck regardless. ;)

Thanks! The hardest part for me right now has to be the grammer itself as well as the pronunciation. I'm most likely going to need to bring an english to polish dictionary on the trip with me for the harder parts that I haven't seemed to grasp yet. But as I said in the post before this one, having a family member who is from there really helps.