What other languages do you like

Thyndd

... aside from Japanese, which I assume every one of us here is pretty fond of :leecher:

So I had this idea and thought that could be interesting since from what I can see we are a fairly multicultural community. That should ward off the stereotypes or at least level it out somehow.

So, with your consent, let's get started. 

As a huge language nerd that I am, I cannot for the life of me list all the languages that I happen to like, but let me at least call out some names, soshite, kono forums wa weeb dakara, let's weeb it up a little by providing some animu songs as samples. 

Arabic: I love its sound to bits. So badass yet so beautiful. The grammar is nothing short of amazing, you've gotta love semitic non-concatenative morphology. 

Song

Slavic languages: particularly Czech, Polish and Russian. A lot of palatalization and sibilants, along with monstrous consonant clusters. They sound elegant, rich and complex but also sweet and cute. 

Song Song 2 Song 3

Hungarian: I like slavic, and Hungarian phonology, in spite of the fact that it doesn't have any relation to the slavic family (it's finno-ugric) kinda has a similar touch to it. That aside, I'm a big fan of agglutinating languages with vowel harmony. 

Song

Turkish: have I said that I love agglutinating languages with vowel harmony? Besides, Turkish grammar is incredible, probably the most regular language on Earth. 

Song

Chinese (mandarin) : I'll be honest with you, for the most part of my life, I didn't like chinese at all, nor any tonal languages for that matter. However, due to repetitive exposure and interest in its grammar, little by little I grew to like it quite a bit. Nowadays I find chinese to be a fascinating language with a ton of amazing linguistic features. Don't let the basic appearance of its grammar fool you, chinese is a very complex language at heart. 

Song

German: fairly typical right? Everyone loves German these days. I guess it's the trend right now, probably born due to the number of german bands that started to crop up during this century. Not my case anyway. For me German sounds magical and unique. It's my favorite germanic language along with Icelandic. 

Song

Aaaand I'll stop here. There are a lot more languages that I'd like to talk about, like Welsh and celtic languages, Icelandic,  Swahili, Hawaiian, Nahuatl... But the list would not end and sadly I can't provide weeb stuff of those :notlikemiya:

Now it's your turn. Let's see what you guys like, it should prove to be fun and interesting. Also, if you are ok with it, I'd be nice to know what languages you already speak, in order to see how this affects your taste. For the record, my native languages are Catalan and Spanish. 

Edited by Thyndd

Haha, that's funny. Because i think that German is one of the ugly-sounding (without any offense ofc) launguages. I can say that, because i've been learning it for a couple years now.

Apart from Japanese, there aren't many that i like. I'm a Slav myself, but i really like Russian. And that's about it.

Since you also provided some songs, I'm gonna take this chance and share some russian folk music

Song

Edited by Zidan209

1 hour ago, Akshay said:

Well I speak like 4 Indian languages (Hindi,Tamil, Malayalam and Sanskrit). I guess I like good Hindi classical or really melodious Malayalam songs. I mostly listen to English stuff.

Recently I've become more and more fond of Japanese anime music.

RIp

That's quite impressive. May I ask what's your academic field? 

4 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

That's quite impressive. May I ask what's your academic field? 

Well I finished my bachelors in Biotechnology. And in my master's (current) my core topic is Data Science (tons of stats courses) and I'm currently working on an analysis of transplant rejection. (Masters Project)

What about you?

Edited by Akshay

Just now, Thyndd said:

I'm still doing my bachelors degree in physics :sachi:

Btw, is it common for people in India at college level to be educated in Sanskrit? 

Not really. It was a school elective for me and I took 2 years of it. THe thing is I lived in the US till I was 10 and was very excited to move to India. For some reason I had a lot of motivation and learnt 4 languages by the time I was 18. I really wish I had that motivation now to learn japanese.:vinty:

1 minute ago, MaggieROBOT said:

No love for portuguese? It's my first language.

Well, I like german bc I like how those overlong full of consonant words sounds.

Also korean, not necessary to elaborate.

Since I speak native Catalan and Spanish and can speak fluent Galician I tend to gravitate towards other non-romance languages, but among romance, yeah, Portuguese is probably one of my favorites :sachi: I don't like French though, dunno why.

13 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I tend to gravitate towards other non-romance languages

Yeah, I can definetly relate with that! And I also don't like french very much, but that may have something to do with childhood trauma bc I had some horrible french teachers back in middle school *sobs*

i'm indonesian and live in java so i'm native in 2 languages, bahasa indonesia, and javanese,
also learn english and arabic at high school...
i learn japanese by my own, and now after several years i can understand *clear* japanese song without problems
there is no other language i want to learn at the moment, but chinese is good too...

10 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Yeah, I can definetly relate with that! And I also don't like french very much, but that may have something to do with childhood trauma bc I had some horrible french teachers back in middle school *sobs*

9 hours ago, PapaRabbi said:

I can relate. French teachers can be brutal.

10 minutes ago, HMN said:

Agreed. 

LOL That a fact? So many people traumatized by French teachers :michiru:

I took 2 years of French back in highschool. The teacher was a kind middle aged woman. She was a little bit crazy, really enthusiastic and overly theatrical, but also pretty indulgent. Can't say I harbor bad memories about it.

48 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I took 2 years of French back in highschool. The teacher was a kind middle aged woman. She was a little bit crazy, really enthusiastic and overly theatrical, but also pretty indulgent. Can't say I harbor bad memories about it.

A lot of mine were just generally crazy, one in particular was an extreme control freak. On top of that, French classes are mandatory in Canada from 4th grade to 9th grade, so I had to deal with those teachers for five years :wahaha:

Edited by PapaRabbi

6 hours ago, PapaRabbi said:

A lot of mine were just generally crazy, one in particular was an extreme control freak. On top of that, French classes are mandatory in Canada from 4th grade to 9th grade, so I had to deal with those teachers for five years :wahaha:

In my case, I was unlucky bc french was mandatory from 5th to 9th grade in my school not in the country.  And the teachers loved to pull stuff like: in class is "je mange du pain", in test is a page long unknown fairy tale with some really old words... And I probably answered the questions about it with something nonsense in the context like "je suis allé a la plage" bc that is one of the only things I remember of french now.

I did live in Indonesia as well, so obviously I'd quite fluent in Indonesian language as well. As for English, to tell the truth I did learn this since elementary school but I'll just get the hang of that after graduate from the high school lol, and pretty quick at that. For other language, I'd also learn Chinese a bit in the high school but never get the hand of that because of numerous characters lol.

9 hours ago, HMN said:

I feel sorry you had to learn that...

As for Arabic, from what I knew most of the elementary school did teached the language. So no big deal here, although as for mine I didn't learn Arabic language though.

1 hour ago, eris said:

I have a minor in Classical Studies but if you asked me to translate any Attic Greek/Latin now I would probably secretly Google it.  ( ̄▽ ̄") I sometimes pick up some Virgil or Catallus now and then but it's been awhile since I've actively studied it. 

Well, it's probably ok, you're not very likely to be required to actively speak those languages since the speakers happen to be all dead :sachi: (unless you have a time machine, or a weird micro-wave in lack thereof :makina:)

I would've liked to study some latin and greek, but unfortunately the education system here doesn't allow it if you pick a science branch. But I like both, languages and science!

• 11 months later...

Other than my first language, and english which they taught us in school & japanese I learnt over the years thanks to weeb god's. 

I enjoy learning korean, russian, french and latin (old) ,though probably after I move to Sweden I'll have to learn swedish too.

Edited by cykaki