Sorcery Jokers was released on January 12th

littleshogun

Yeah, that's precisely what I'm worried about. VN's rated around 8.5 or higher are often full of pseudo-intellectual bogus and whining, with an extra bonus for snail-pacing and repetitive time loops. For example, stuff like Subahibi is definitely the last thing I'd want to read, despite the high rating.

Hope this isn't the case for Sorcery Jokers, btw is subahibi that bad? Have not tried it yet, but I do plan to buy it, so just wondered if the praise is undeserved like you said. 

Edited by bakauchuujin

37 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Hope this isn't the case for Sorcery Jokers, btw is subahibi that bad? Have not tried it yet, but I do plan to buy it, so just wondered if the praise is undeserved like you said. 

This isn't really about being good or bad. Subahibi is most likely very good at what it does. It's more that I don't like the rather extreme nature and the themes of the VN.

It's a bit like Euphoria which is considered a very good dark nukige and it most likely is. But if you're not into that kind of hardcore stuff it's just horrible.

Subahibi goes into a similar direction and I keep my distance from that stuff.

8 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

This isn't really about being good or bad. Subahibi is most likely very good at what it does. It's more that I don't like the rather extreme nature and the themes of the VN.

It's a bit like Euphoria which is considered a very good dark nukige and it most likely is. But if you're not into that kind of hardcore stuff it's just horrible.

Subahibi goes into a similar direction and I keep my distance from that stuff.

Wait, I'm confused. You don't like SubaHibi because it's "pseudo-intellectual", because it has relatively slow pace or because there are a few important hardcore scenes? Sorry, it's just that my jaw literally dropped to the Euphoria comparison so I decided to ask.

42 minutes ago, novurdim said:

Wait, I'm confused. You don't like SubaHibi because it's "pseudo-intellectual", because it has relatively slow pace or because there are a few important hardcore scenes? Sorry, it's just that my jaw literally dropped to the Euphoria comparison so I decided to ask.

He brought up Subahibi as an example of a highly rated VN.

10 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

For example, stuff like Subahibi is definitely the last thing I'd want to read, despite the high rating.

He then explained why he didn't like Subahibi, and brought up Euphoria as another example of something he can believe is good, but not good for him.

9 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

It's more that I don't like the rather extreme nature and the themes of the VN.

So the answer to your question would, most likely, be the hardcore scenes, as he said.

But I'm not him. I wouldn't know.

1 hour ago, novurdim said:

Can't judge the pacing because I haven't read it, but the VN is literally a 'Greatest Hits' collection of stuff I don't like: Multiple protagonists, incomprehensible meta plot, focus on victimizing girls emphasized by the use of disgusting sex fetishes, denpa (I like clashes of personalities and clear motives for actions and not people going crazy just because), (pseudo-)philosophical focus, tries to include too many social problems, a crapload of messed up VNDB tags.

Overall, not something I'd consider enjoyable or interesting to me.

Edited by ChaosRaven

1 minute ago, ChaosRaven said:

Can't judge the pacing because I haven't read it, but the VN is literally a 'Greatest Hits' collection of stuff I don't like: Multiple protagonists, incomprehensible meta plot, focus on victimizing girls emphasized by the use of disgusting sex fetishes, denpa (I like clashes of personalities and clear motives for actions and not people going crazy just because), (pseudo-)philosophical focus, tries to include too many social problems, a crapload of messed up VNDB tags.

Overall, not something I'd consider enjoyable or even interesting to me.

Well, to each his own I guess, it's not a bad thing to value a medium only as a pure straightforward entertainment.

But it likely doesn't matter here though, as I understood from all the reviews I've read there probably are only two "main heroes" with meaningful narratives and the others are mostly relatively short extras. Probably?

2 hours ago, Clephas said:

Thanks for the link to your review. If it's really a mixture of chuuni, mystery and moe it should be right up my alley and confirm my overall impression of that company.

I have yet to see how the multi-protag structure turns out, but otherwise I'm fairly optimistically looking towards the release of the title. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

I have yet to see how the multi-protag structure turns out, but otherwise I'm fairly optimistically looking towards the release of the title. :rolleyes:

How did you feel about multiple protagonists in Ever17? I haven't played Sorcery Jokers, but this sounds more up that alley than something like SubaHibi.

4 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

How did you feel about multiple protagonists in Ever17? I haven't played Sorcery Jokers, but this sounds more up that alley than something like SubaHibi.

I only played the routes of the main protagonist Takeshi in Ever 17, so it didn't really matter to me. But in my opinion, if there are multiple protagonists, then one for each route is the best way to go. It's a shame that Eushully's Sankai Ou no Yubiwa attempt to have a different protagonist for each route didn't really work out - it was an interesting idea.

I think the last VN I played with multiple protagonists was Root Double, but I also think two separate routes for each one would have been better there, because it did really hurt the story flow to experience all events from two perspectives. It was still a good read though.

Though to be entirely correct, the last multi-protag title I read would be probably Fata morgana no Yakata. When the Giselle & Michel chapters start the writer apparently had the glorious idea to try some 'experimental writing' to reach some kind of 'ambivalent reading experience' by swapping the protagonist every second sentence to make you feel like 'Gichelle'. And from all possible ways, this is certainly NOT the one to go. Was also part of the reason why I stalled the VN for a while. Hope they stop that nonesense soon or I certainly won't finish the VN. <_<

18 hours ago, Clephas said:

Senri seems like a far more interesting character than the typical overly righteous MC that Haruto seems likely to be, always hated those types since their decisions never make sense to me :pyaa:

I didnt even realise Mangagamer was translating this, its releasing relatively quickly as well, we'r gonna have a nice stream of releases within the next month lol

2 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

It was announced at Otacon 2016.  It's been in the works for quite awhile.  Compared to Funbag Fantasy, which was announced last May, and released four months later.

Huh. For some reason, I thought it was just at the beginning of this year, but you're right, it has been 16 months since the announcement. Funbag Fantasy was obviously something of a special case, though, since it was 100% translated and edited at the time of the announcement, if I remember correctly.

At any rate, allow me to rephrase: it's been a long time coming, but I'm looking forward to it! :wahaha:

12 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

I only played the routes of the main protagonist Takeshi in Ever 17, so it didn't really matter to me. But in my opinion, if there are multiple protagonists, then one for each route is the best way to go. It's a shame that Eushully's Sankai Ou no Yubiwa attempt to have a different protagonist for each route didn't really work out - it was an interesting idea.

Didn't  you enjoy them? You MUST read the other routes to understand and appreciate Ever17, so only reading Takeshi's will completely hinder your experience.

9 hours ago, alchemicalhaze said:

Yup, definitely going to purchase this one, just wish mangagamer would offer alternative payment processor, because it is annoying having to call my bank to unlock international transactions every time I make a purchase from them.   

Buy it on Steam, then download the free 18+ patch from MangaGamer's website.

By the way, there's another article from Mangagamer if you interested. Here's the article below, even though it's belated one when I'm share this.

Introducing Sorcery Jokers

As for the POV, it was indeed shared by two MC there although occasionally you'll see some female POV. So while in theory you'll have six MC, the scenes from female POV was noticeably less compared to male POV. Hope the article help.

Hope this sells enough for hardcopy, though it seems like the sales atm aren't too great. I know there is a sale and all on other VNs on Mangagamer but I still would have expected this to be in the top 5 on weekly ranking. Imopara 2 has managed to keep 1st place so it is disapointing to see this one not even hit the top 5. Hopefully it will get better once it release on steam.

2 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Hope this sells enough for hardcopy, though it seems like the sales atm aren't too great. I know there is a sale and all on other VNs on Mangagamer but I still would have expected this to be in the top 5 on weekly ranking. Imopara 2 has managed to keep 1st place so it is disapointing to see this one not even hit the top 5. Hopefully it will get better once it release on steam.

I saw it on 2nd place a while ago I think.

10 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Sorcery Jokers is still more than 3 weeks away while Imopara 2 is out now. It would be rather strange if it would be different. <_<

I still expect ImoPara to sell significantly better than Sorcery Jokers, since big nukiges always sold well, and are also currently more rare in the west than story or moege titles. MoonStone is also already a rather established brand in the west, while 3rd Eye is pretty much a newcomer nobody really knows what to expect of yet.