Sorcery Jokers was released on January 12th

littleshogun

ImoPara 2 has been #1 for weeks now.  It apparently also dragged ImoPara #1 back onto the top 5.  ImoPara 1 also did really well for MangaGamer.  It's like Koihime: it's been a bestseller for several years since it came out.  In fact it's arguably better, because its ranking on their "best of year" list for 2017 actually went up compared to last year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2018 at 12:06 AM, bakauchuujin said:

Still not seeing it hit top 5 weekly sales, hope it somehow manages to get better sales once it is out. If not I gues there won't be a hardcopy of it and I will have to make due with digital.

As for that, I think unless the title was like Rance or nukige I didn't think that it could be hit top 5 weekly sales easily before the actual release. The reason was probably because more people were already knew Rance, and we surely already knew what nukige would offer, didn't we? Also since this is more story driven VN instead of nukige (And obviously no Rance), and more importantly there's no demo release for this yet so obviously people would not have any idea what this VN will offer, therefore lowering the chance of pre order. As for not hitting top 5 weekly sales a week before release, this is already happened with Himawari in the past so I think it's not that surprising to Mangagamer there. Let's just hope that the sale will go well if one hoping for the hardcopy.

Edited by littleshogun

11 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Terrible as in badly written or simply bad endings?

Spoiler free version: illogical ones. As in, we build world for the entire novel and then ditch it. 

Spoiler version: Shinigami no Testament ending

Spoiler

SnT had 5 heroines in total. Its structure was: true route part 1> unlock 2 side heroines routes>unlock true route part 2>unlock 3rd side heroine>unlock true route part + true ending.

In total it had 2 true/main heroines: Yua and Vivi. Technically, they were supposed to be equal.

The problem was true ending. In it MC "sacrificed" himself. Writers made it look as if has died. 

Epilogue: MC is alive and well, meets Yua (no memories about each other) and Vivi does not even appear

Started with Sorcery Jokers now and my first impression is a bit mixed so far.

The visuals are impressive. I think it's the game with the highest resolution I've played so far - window mode is already almost full screen. I also like that you can change the font in the options, since the original one is a bit small to read, at least if you're sitting in front of a TV.

Regarding the two main protagonists, Haruto seems kind of meh, but Senri looks pretty cool.

The writing didn't really click with me so far - at least not yet. Maybe it's because I just read Gahkthun, which had an extremely well flowing writing, but this one seems kinda... clunky, for lack of a better word. I mean Ageha already annoyed the hell out of me, not just because of her over-exaggerated vulgar language, but also because of her constant use of the term 'pay-to-win' in strange contexts. I mean I know what 'pay-to-win' is, but she uses it in almost every second sentence, and in half of them I didn't even get what she's trying to say with it.

And then there's this girl Ruu, which Senri was saving from a bunch of hoodlums. Senri tries to fool them with a cross-dressing reference regarding her, because of her flat chest. And after the incident Ruu kind of follows up onto that joke with strange references like 'if she had one' - meaning probably a ****. I don't know, but that whole interaction just wasn't funny at all.

Still, this doesn't have to mean anything. G-Senjou had a weird sense of humor too after all, and it was still great.

A more worrysome matter though is the episode structure. Initially I thought that you take the POV of a certain character for an entire chapter, but it looks like there are constant POV jumps even after short scenes. And not only that, the VN doesn't just jump to the next scene, it opens a whole bunch of new scenes and you can choose with which you want to continue. I honestly don't know how the VN wants to tell a homogenous story when it's structured like an H-scene gallery.

Though I'm still at the beginning - maybe things get clearer when I proceed a bit further. :unsure:

6 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Started with Sorcery Jokers now and my first impression is a bit mixed so far.

The visuals are impressive. I think it's the game with the highest resolution I've played so far - window mode is already almost full screen. I also like that you can change the font in the options, since the original one is a bit small to read, at least if you're sitting in front of a TV.

Regarding the two main protagonists, Haruto seems kind of meh, but Senri looks pretty cool.

The writing didn't really click with me so far - at least not yet. Maybe it's because I just read Gahkthun, which had an extremely well flowing writing, but this one seems kinda... clunky, for lack of a better word. I mean Ageha already annoyed the hell out of me, not just because of her over-exaggerated vulgar language, but also because of her constant use of the term 'pay-to-win' in strange contexts. I mean I know what 'pay-to-win' is, but she uses it in almost every second sentence, and in half of them I didn't even get what she's trying to say with it.

And then there's this girl Ruu, which Senri was saving from a bunch of hoodlums. Senri tries to fool them with a cross-dressing reference regarding her, because of her flat chest. And after the incident Ruu kind of follows up onto that joke with strange references like 'if she had one' - meaning probably a ****. I don't know, but that whole interaction just wasn't funny at all.

Still, this doesn't have to mean anything. G-Senjou had a weird sense of humor too after all, and it was still great.

A more worrysome matter though is the episode structure. Initially I thought that you take the POV of a certain character for an entire chapter, but it looks like there are constant POV jumps even after short scenes. And not only that, the VN doesn't just jump to the next scene, it opens a whole bunch of new scenes and you can choose with which you want to continue. I honestly don't know how the VN wants to tell a homogenous story when it's structured like an H-scene gallery.

Though I'm still at the beginning - maybe things get clearer when I proceed a bit further. :unsure:

And not to mention the "that's not playing fair" sounds like a goddamned child. 

21 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

And not to mention the "that's not playing fair" sounds like a goddamned child. 

I personally see him as a dumber version of Shirou Emiya and that is saying a lot...

Btw. What do you guys think about romance element? I mean it is kinetic novel so we don't have choices. Furthermore, each MC has 2 heroines. I haven't finished it yet so I can't say for sure, but isn't that pretty much a guarantee of an open ending, in which all romantic build up becomes useless?

Yeah, the 4 heroines for 2 protagonists seems kinda weird considering it's a kinetic novel. And a harem ending also seems a bit unlikely for that kind of VN.

Just judging from the looks I'd guess that the younger looking Noah and Asahi are more into Haruto and Riku and Annabel more into Senri. Just speculating though.

Also found a few reviews that might prove helpful:

https://vnrw.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/vn-sorcery-jokers/

https://vnerogereview.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/magic-is-never-perfect-review-of-150724-sorcery-jokers/

https://vnmusings.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/sorcery-jokers-extended-review/

57 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Yeah, the 4 heroines for 2 protagonists seems kinda weird considering it's a kinetic novel. And a harem ending also seems a bit unlikely for that kind of VN.

Just judging from the looks I'd guess that the younger looking Noah and Asahi are more into Haruto and Riku and Annabel more into Senri. Just speculating though.

Also found a few reviews that might prove helpful:

https://vnrw.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/vn-sorcery-jokers/

https://vnerogereview.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/magic-is-never-perfect-review-of-150724-sorcery-jokers/

https://vnmusings.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/sorcery-jokers-extended-review/

Nahh. Its more like big breast faction (Noah and Fione) are into Senri, while schoolgirl faction (Asahi and Riku) into Haruto

Edited by Sparteh

Honestly I don't know what to think of this game yet :D

I like magic and the fantasy elements, the art, and I also enjoy the jumping around POV-s,  and that I can choose which one I want to watch.

But the characters and the writing..... I'm not too picky about those two things, but damn. Haruto acting like a saint annoys me so much. I could tolerate Shirous stupidity but this guys hero mania infuriates me. He also sound like a hypocrate, because he states "I'm not looking for trouble but I can't ingore when someone needs help in front of me" and when he hears a rumor at school what does he do? Of course he wants to go investigate XD Not to mention the constant "That's not playing fair" line. Nobody told the writer, that if you repeate a phrase 10 times in a few hours, it becomes really annoying? It doesn't help the fact, that his best friend can't shut up about him. His only defining character trait so far, is that he is pretty much in love with the guy.

Yeah so far this VN is getting on my nerves but I'm still hoping. God I hope it will be a lot more interesting when the mistery kicks in.

By the way does somebody know what Harutos line is in japanese?  Because in english it really sounds forced the way he is saying it. It reminds of Strike the bloods "This is my fight" catchphrase but repeating it in every second conversation instead of before major fights. Also that one makes a lot more sense than not playing fair.

Finished entire VN. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Just a few thoughts (spoiler free):

Senri was cool. Probably one of the best MC. Part focusing on him in my opinion was much better than one focusing of Haruto. Speaking of which, the only character I disliked more than him was the final villain. 

For things concerning shipping, I liked Senri's and Noah's interactions the most. The final scene in which they  appear together (before final credits) was probably the highlight of entire VN. Considering that this is chuuni VN, fights are the most important in the end. Even those were much better if Senri was involved.