Sorcery Jokers was released on January 12th

littleshogun

2 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

Just started this, never read a VN where u choose what part of the story u read and where there are 2 male protags lol

seems interesting so far and translation is fine, so why is there such a big discussion about it lol

Because everyone are united in hate for 1 mc and likes to argue about loli?

9 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

seems interesting so far and translation is fine, so why is there such a big discussion about it lol

Well I think it should be fine if we have discussion like this, although I admit that the discussion in regard of 'sister enthusiast' was quite out of topic to said it lightly, and not that matter to me but then again it might be matter for some people.

As for the hate for one of MC (Haruto), I rather called Haruto overshadowed because Senri as the MC was bring the fresh breath of air too much compared to usual VN MC, while Haruto was more or less just usual VN MC and his attitude didn't help at all - even though it's sort of justified later. Well, to each of their own.

20 hours ago, Sparteh said:

Because everyone are united in hate for 1 mc and likes to argue about loli?

nah mate i meant discussion about the translation quality not the VN itself, the VN is good but Haruto is retarded, along with Asahi 

13 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Well I think it should be fine if we have discussion like this, although I admit that the discussion in regard of 'sister enthusiast' was quite out of topic to said it lightly, and not that matter to me but then again it might be matter for some people.

As for the hate for one of MC (Haruto), I rather called Haruto overshadowed because Senri as the MC was bring the fresh breath of air too much compared to usual VN MC, while Haruto was more or less just usual VN MC and his attitude didn't help at all - even though it's sort of justified later. Well, to each of their own.

yeah i agree, Senri was always gonna be the more popular, i doubt many people will like Haruto's dumb sense of justice

That Ageha character on Senri's story though, she dresses like she belongs in a nukige :P (and the collector on Haruto's side i guess)

4 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

That Ageha character on Senri's story though, she dresses like she belongs in a nukige :P (and the collector on Haruto's side i guess)

I kind of want to point that out since it was released in English lol, but yeah the collector dress was pretty much out there and more fitting in nukige as the punishment costume. And yet it was only used at the sex scene once, or if I may straight to the point that's a waste potential lol. At least in regard of Ageha she did have some excuse for wearing like that, because she was also involved with the prostitution and she wear that probably to seduce the man.

4 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

the VN is good but Haruto is retarded, along with Asahi

yeah i agree, Senri was always gonna be the more popular, i doubt many people will like Haruto's dumb sense of justice

I disagree with calling Haruto retarded along with Asahi and I also disagree with calling Haruto's sense of justice dumb, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Haruto or Asahi they are great characters and I actually like Haruto more than Senri.

3 minutes ago, Freestyle80 said:

Just a question, is there actual routes ot choices in this game?

Reveal hidden contents

I only just finished the prologue and entered Haruto’s viewpoint and sawthat part when Riku gets you off which made me wonder

No Sorcery Jokers is a Kinetic Novel, it has no choices.

https://vndb.org/v16337

Edited by Shaun

On 1/29/2018 at 9:49 PM, Shaun said:

I disagree with calling Haruto retarded along with Asahi and I also disagree with calling Haruto's sense of justice dumb, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Haruto or Asahi they are great characters and I actually like Haruto more than Senri.

Absolutely nothing wrong? The guy lives in a dream world and his "this is wrong" thing is just stupid. He tries to help people, walks into traps even though everyone points out it is a trap and puts those who trust him into danger over and over again. Heck, the only thing that keeps him and his heroines alive is deus ex machina

On 2/2/2018 at 6:24 PM, Sparteh said:

Absolutely nothing wrong? The guy lives in a dream world and his "this is wrong" thing is just stupid. He tries to help people, walks into traps even though everyone points out it is a trap and puts those who trust him into danger over and over again. Heck, the only thing that keeps him and his heroines alive is deus ex machina

if i hear 'fair janai' one more time....

21 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Just mute Haruto's voice then if you still play this by the way, although if you already quit then there's nothing that I can suggest here.

already finished it, my solution was to press quickly each time i thought he was gonna say something stupid lul

I also skipped most of Haruto's fights, they were boring and shounen as fck, no thinking no planning just shout and u power up 

To be fair, i liked this VN, Noah best grill 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 7:34 AM, wyldstrykr said:

so im the only one who doesnt mind  'fair janai' i guess im insane....

I also like Haruto and Asahi characters. I mean they are your typical idealist protagonist. 

But of course, if the choice is between Haruto and Senri, I will choose Senri simply because Senri is smart, cool, and mature 

So, I finally finished it. Though calling it finished is probably not entirely correct, I read about about half of it and then skip-read most of the second half until the end.

Short story: I didn't like it! <_<

Long story: Not everything was bad - I could have liked it, if it wouldn't be for some rather unfortunate design decisions the creators made. And first and foremost, most of its problems are rooted in the choice of two main protagonists. The VN did pretty much confirm all my prejudices against multi-protagonist stories, even if there are exceptions where it can still work like in Root Double. But in Root Double the story was vastly better written around those two characters.

The first huge problem with the two protagonists was that Senri totally outshines Haruto. I do get the initial idea though - both characters were indended to be polar opposites from the start. Senri as the cool mature guy and Haruto as the naive school boy. The problem is that the writer did stick to that concept to an almost fanatical degree. Haruto was just so unbearable bland, that pretty much all scenes involving him bored me to death. On the other hand Senri also turned out a bit too cool and composed, especially considering some of his actions were borderline suicidal. I mean if you get scenes like "Sure, loosing my arm and using it with the other hand as a club to beat my opponent to death, was totally my plan from the start!", you're starting to wonder. The example is a bit exaggerated of course, but there were definitely scenes where they just went a bit overboard.

Still, Senri was certainly one of the better things of the VN and his route parts were mostly okay. And I actually liked the fact that he usually had a battle plan and it wasn't just all random actions and Deus Ex Machina.

The route parts of Haruto were the major problem. Not just because it dragged the overall pacing down by a huge degree, but also because of the lack of quality in his route parts. His dialogs were just plain and boring and although I kind of liked Atorin and Asahi it also dragged them down. The writer thought it would be a good idea to assign the heroines to the protagonist they are most similar too, but that was a huge mistake. Both Atorin and Asahi had their best scenes when they did interact with Senri. It was one of the rare scenes when Senri got actually a bit irritated because Asahi supposedly acted irrational, and Asahi herself started to tease him because he didn't believe her. Both Senri and Asahi really opened up there.

And Senri had similar problems because Fiona was just too similar to him, so after they allied there was barely an interesting conversation between them anymore. I also could never manage to like her, even if she was one of the more interesting characters. Probably because she was a treacherous bitch, even if I occasionally like such characters lol. And Noah had just the mind of a 3 - 4 year old baby girl and was more or less dead weight for all intents and purposes. Conversations with her were comparable to watching an episode of Teletubbies. The bad coupling of the characters caused several of them to stay pale and bland through the whole VN.

And it got worse. Since I couldn't identify with Haruto and was routing mostly for Senri, his route parts started to look more and more like an NTR route. Imagine a VN where the 'idiot friend' gets all the nice chicks you like and you are stuck with the leftovers. Funny, isn't it? Sorcery Jokers makes it happen. :wacko:

The romance and slice of life parts also left a lot to be desired. Especially since they tryed to squish 4 heroine routes for two protagonists into a kinetic VN with no choices - it's just madness! I also regret having read the adult version, since the heroines pretty much started with blow jobs out of nowhere. Most of the H-scenes are in the after stories, but the ones in the main story were as badly and nonesensical placed at it gets. The VN might have some merits in the battle scenes, but romance and slice of life certainly aren't part of it.

Another issue was the visual presentation. While the VN has technically pretty good art, it has a severe lack of event CG's. Most of the art seemed to have been made with a simple moege in mind and then the characters just got 2 - 3 fighting poses which are repeated through all fights. You almost never see a background CG with characters, damages or any environmental changes drawn on it. I barely remember even seeing an injured characters despite the many battles. It's always a sterile empty background with a fixed sprite put on it. There was just no dedication to 'show' the story events like in Innocent Grey VN's, Root Double or Ourai no Gahkthun. To compensate this they often just added a simple color effect instead, which looked rather amateurish. And the half screen effect with black bars at top and bottom is shown almost every two minutes. I've no idea why, but the creators were absolutely obsessed with that effect.

That was also the final nail in the coffin that made me drop the VN. If you skip forward and the only thing you see are battles against the same characters with the same CG's reused again and again, and there's just nothing new coming up, there's just no motivation to continue. I remember that I could judge my story progress in Ourai no Gahkthun by looking into the CG gallery. If you were half through you've just seen half of the CG's and you're looking forward to the new stuff.

Anyway, heroine ranking: Atorin > Asahi > Fiona (Noah is excluded - I refuse to include a girl with the mind of a 3 - 4 year old baby girl into a heroine rating)

Overall rating: 5/10 (Could have been easily higher, if it wouldn't be for the brain fart of making Haruto a second protagonist :vinty:)