Your feelings on comyu without any spoilers please!

aceking198

Im actually planning to start comyu in a few days but i kinda want to know what im getting into. Just say stuff like whether it had a good or bad plot characters action or whatever u feel on the vn so i know what to expect as long as you avoid spoilers. It would help a lot because im the kinda guy who likes having data on stuff like these. Like im a guy when he plays a game i like throughly researching it before i start.

The biggest factor is whether you like chuuni, honestly.  If you can't stand it, I'd recommend picking something else up.

The writing is pretty bad at times, but it is an ixrec translation, so that's no surprise.  I liked it quite a bit myself, especially Kagome's route, which is easily the best route.  You should be warned, though, that Akihito, the protagonist, is pretty widely disliked.  He's an annoying douche at times, and some people can't deal with jerk protags.

I can try to go into more detail if you'd like, but it's been a little while since I read it.

Like a lot of Hino Wataru's works, this game is crack for chuunige fans.  However, it also bears a lot of the flaws of his other works... the most obvious of which is his unbalanced approach to the heroine paths.  The two heroines who get the biggest emphasis in this game are Hisoka and Kagome.  In addition, the route order is locked, forcing you to play all the heroines before Kagome (except Ayaya)... worse, you have no choice but to play Benio's route, which is the single most annoying route in the game. 

The protagonist of the story tends to gain mixed reactions from those who read the English version...  Some people like him, some people hate him.  His excessive favoritism toward women and his somewhat indiscriminate sexual habits piss off a lot of the more 'purist' readers.  Others don't like his false nihilism and self-pity... the fact is, he is a pretty unbalanced character.  However, I honestly enjoyed reading this game in Japanese, and he didn't bother me.  I find the normal/average/less than average protagonists that plague most VNs to be far more annoying.

Clephas said almost everything.

The protagonist is really different of the others "kind hearted/stupid/obedient/submissive" protagonists you can find in any other VN. Some people that don't like him tends to think that they have their average teenager but forget that he has heavy psychological trauma. For my part he won my respect for what he did at the end of the Isoka route.

I liked the writing but I know a lot of people don't like ixrec. Now it's up to you if you like it or not.

1 hour ago, aceking198 said:

I'm getting more mixed readings from this than i thought. Though i do like chunni so ill give it a shot and ill see if i like it.

One of the problems is that Ixrec really wasn't the best translator for the game, even aside from complaints about the translation quality.   A lot of the internal narration feels off in the English version, from what I recall from when I tried to play it.  In particular, Ixrec seriously screwed up on the protagonist's internal monologues at key moments.  Since those internal monologues are the points at which he is the most likable as a character, it is not surprising he scratches a lot of people the wrong way. 

The basic idea of Akihito is that he was, up to a certain point in his life, a fairly normal kid, aside from his odd relationship with Kagome.  However, he hit a series of traumatic experiences one after the other (it is better to just read the VN to find this part out), and as a result, he tends to pretend at nihilism and apathy, while compulsively helping women (men being worthless to him, which is basically an exaggeration of the typical otaku media male protagonist's tendencies).  I'll admit to the male promiscuity... but the fact is, if you offer a male teen sex, he will have sex.  I find it amusing so many people have trouble grasping that, lol.  The virgin male protagonists of so many other games seem unnatural to me, since my fellow males are basically penises with legs from the age twelve to twenty-five.

Edit: I suppose that last bit might be considered 'making excuses', but the fact is, I have always been a bit bewildered by the reactions people have to that aspect of his character. 

Edited by Clephas

I liked Comyu. But bear in mind that, by and large, I tend to dislike chunni titles.

Most of the stories I read tend to not have much in the way of plot, but this did. This Visual Novel told me various stories. Some better than others, but I liked them all for different reasons.
I did not have the problems most people had. I didn't particularly dislike Akihito, and I (at the time) didn't have any issues with the translation. In fact, I am tempted to believe that the translation may be why this VN did not turn me off as so many other chunni did. The pretentiousness and annoying exchanges/narration didn't come through very well, so nothing made me dislike it on that count. This is, however, merely a theory. It's just that I don't know of many more story-heavy Visual Novels of this kind that I liked.

26 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

I've seen benio been mentioned in a negative way multiple times. Can you explain why in as non spoilerish way possible? It's not a true route so i don't really care about spoilers, but others might.

Benio appears at first as a seigi no mikata character... except she never does anything beyond "help old lady crosses the street" level (think Shirou from F/SN at the very start of the novel). She's also in a perpetual A-cup angst that gets tiring very fast. And half of her route is spent on "I don't wanna be a virgin, let's have sex, MC, oooooh, now I'm not a virgin anymore hehehe" crap. Her voice is also so high pitched and she's always screaming, she was the only character I ever turned the volume down.

For me:

Decent action. 

Average to bad characters.

Decent plot.

It's also worth mentioning that there are some really useless and bad routes, and a couple of decent ones. And sometimes you really wonder why the fuck you are wasting your time with the game.

All in all, there are much better action titles around. But if you have played all the rest, then Comyuu will at least keep you entertained for most fo the rime.

Good thing I found this review again (modified to remove spoilers)

Your experience with the english translation's gonna be like this:

Akihito is a self-professed cynic, pessimist and feminist who came to be this way due to unfortunate events --the colour red at a young age --but so what?. He lives with his childhood friend, Kagome she’s a beauty. After being able to see the ephemeral Girl A, he runs into a young girl fighting a monster --I remember red and saves her. Soon after, Izawa, Benio she’s an ally of justice, Mayuki, and Haru form a comyu with him while Kagome she’s pretty and invincible tags along. They immediately meet their first enemy and are put in mortal danger --I see red, but narrowly --but so what? defeat it.

The group learns that their fates are tied by their avatar --I smell red. They also learn that many have gained this power, and that some seek to kill --I remember red others gentle kingdom to become more powerful. After Benio she has a flat chest is attacked --I see red, the group begins to hunt the aggressor. Benio she’s an ally of justice asks for Akihito's help --I remember red, much to Kagome’s her darkness draws everyone’s attention annoyance. The political landscape of the lawless gentle kingdom comyu-net is described, and the competing factions and cliques are introduced. They grapple with the morality gentle kingdom of killing --the colour red out of self-defense, --but so what?.

In Benio’s she’s an ironing-board route, Benio she’s an ally of justice moves forward with her attraction to Akihito and gives him her virginity --I smell red after being egged on by her friends. Although not official, the two are now an item gentle kingdom and go on dates --I remember red. But Benio A-cup angst continues to be pretty useless.

9 hours ago, Clephas said:

The virgin male protagonists of so many other games seem unnatural to me, since my fellow males are basically penises with legs from the age twelve to twenty-five.

23969588_151503235605708_294658783411647

For me it was one of the more enjoyable VNs that I've read. The routes are a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to quality, but I enjoyed the way they went multiple playthroughs. The added scenes on additional playthroughs was really enjoyable. Some of the routes I wished would have gone on longer. Honestly I think its worth a read. Just keep your expectations realistic. It is by no means the best VN ever made but it''s not bad either. The main character isn't the most generic thing out there which was nice. While the route quality varies a bit I think it's kind of its strength. Some are more character focused others more story focused. Some more actiony others more romantic.

For those unhappy because of the translation, feel free to read it in japanese ( "hope you like 赤い" ). It's easy to complain about ixrec, but as long as you don't know how the raw script is, you all have hardly the right to complain. I already saw far worse translation without anyone complaining...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am playing through the game currently. I gotta say the first route I did I was not too impressed, it just seemed to suddenly end.

Basically;

Spoiler

It ended with Protagonist Benio and Kagome arm in arm looking at some view, I was like, oh? Really? Basically the last big thing was a fairly stupid (imo) battle between King and Clown

I presume this was a Benio bad end?

Is the good end for Benio a lot longer? If the answer is no, then honestly I thought it was pretty bad, the plot seemed to lack a lot of cohesion and direction

I know Kagome is the main heroine, is her route a lot longer, and can the majority of the story be found in this route? For example like the same difference as Usami vs Other heroines in G-Senjou no Maou. Going by Benio route the story is quite meh, tbh.

Anyhow, started Mayuki's route now (Gotta do all for Kagome route so I am getting the loli over with, I actually also heard that her route was good so meh).

On 14/12/2017 at 9:39 AM, FinalCloud said:

Well, I am playing through the game currently. I gotta say the first route I did I was not too impressed, it just seemed to suddenly end.

Basically;

Hide contents

It ended with Protagonist Benio and Kagome arm in arm looking at some view, I was like, oh? Really? Basically the last big thing was a fairly stupid (imo) battle between King and Clown

I presume this was a Benio bad end?

Is the good end for Benio a lot longer? If the answer is no, then honestly I thought it was pretty bad, the plot seemed to lack a lot of cohesion and direction

I know Kagome is the main heroine, is her route a lot longer, and can the majority of the story be found in this route? For example like the same difference as Usami vs Other heroines in G-Senjou no Maou. Going by Benio route the story is quite meh, tbh.

Anyhow, started Mayuki's route now (Gotta do all for Kagome route so I am getting the loli over with, I actually also heard that her route was good so meh).

That's Benio's only end. Yep.

But Benio's route really is pretty meh. Kagome's is a lot better.

Anyway, if you didn't like the plot very much, I suppose the only route you'll like is Mayuki's since hers is more sol. The ones that are more plot oriented are Hisoka's and Kagome's (Ayaya's is just a filler).