Ladybug Trouble (I'm serious)

Dr.Bisquick

So this is gonna be a weird topic (most likely). I have this ladybug in my little studio apartment. It's been here since friday. Give or take. So herein lies the trouble. I feel bad for the little bastard & I don't know what to do. He's been here for days. I have no easy access water for him. I keep a clean house so there's no bugs for him to snack on. It's getting cold out so setting it free is a death sentence. I don't know. A bit of the ol' Catch 22 when it comes to deciding what to do for this guy. His life is short enough as I see it. Don't want it to be complete Hell for the guy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: I put a few drops of water in front of it's face & it seemed to be pretty happy with that.

IMG_20171127_1930191_zpsahobozzu.jpg

Edited by Dr.Bisquick
Some good old fashioned ASPCA-Quality guilt tripping.

You seem to acknowledge that ladybugs are carnivorous, so I can only imagine that her/his fate will be starvation; my intense Google skills lead me to the conclusion that ladybugs generally conglomerate prior to hibernation, so it seems like a safe assumption that this one, being solitary, will not survive the winter in such a manner. As a utilitarian, I would suggest sparing this soul the prolonged demise of starvation in favor of a quick, painless death, such as dropping a heavy book on her/him. Thereupon, it would be more than appropriate to hold a funeral (in which I will mourn alongside you) lest this honorable individual suffer an otherwise ignominious fate.

3 minutes ago, Fiddle said:

You seem to acknowledge that ladybugs are carnivorous, so I can only imagine that her/his fate will be starvation; my intense Google skills lead me to the conclusion that ladybugs generally conglomerate prior to hibernation, so it seems like a safe assumption that this one, being solitary, will not survive the winter in such a manner. As a utilitarian, I would suggest sparing this soul the prolonged demise of starvation in favor of a quick, painless death, such as dropping a heavy book on her/him. Thereupon, it would be more than appropriate to hold a funeral (in which I will mourn alongside you) lest this honorable individual suffer an otherwise ignominious fate.

Noooooooo! I was hoping to avoid that. But I was thinking the same thing.:( I'll wait to see if google produces more optimistic (which strangely I'm not) results.

Edited by Dr.Bisquick
adding the actual response to the quote

9 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

i hear this happen a lot and what happens is the ladybug is scouting the area for his ladybug colony. once they find a suitable home, they invade in full. killing the homeowner in the process and living in his body. dont worry, it wont be painful if you dont resist us. :meguface:

This makes a lot of sense. I've seen a colony in my brother's home before & it was massive. Guess I gotta put the little guy down. Don't wanna, but it seems like the more logical route.

19 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

once they find a suitable home, they invade in full. killing the homeowner in the process and living in his body.

7 minutes ago, Dr.Bisquick said:

This makes a lot of sense. I've seen a colony in my brother's home before & it was massive.

I hope your brother's still alive...............

8 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

I hope your brother's still alive...............

He survived & managed to get married afterwards. This was when he lived with our Japanese Grandmother. Don't know if being japanese has anything to do with it, but I've noticed that all of my Japanese family have a "If it doesn't bite, it's harmless" attitude towards insects.

6 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

:meguface:

4 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

I liked your post, but maybe I should have reacted with the crying face...

Rip in pieces

I'm assuming this is a reference to a VN. Being extremely new to the medium, I don't get it.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Bisquick said:

He survived & managed to get married afterwards. This was when he lived with our Japanese Grandmother. Don't know if being japanese has anything to do with it, but I've noticed that all of my Japanese family have a "If it doesn't bite, it's harmless" attitude towards insects.

I'm assuming this is a reference to a VN. Being extremely new to the medium, I don't get it.

i made a comment about ladybugs killing people and living in their bodies and then you talked about your brother to which maggie replied hoping he was alright to which i replied with :meguface: suggesting he wasnt because im secretly a ladybug in a mans body. maggie then, god this is long, then liked my comment with the pic and then said that maybe she shouldnt because of the implication it had towards your brother. bottom line,

flat1000x1000075f-u1.jpg

Well I went to go kill the little guy. I spoke to him & explained why I was going to do it (as if he would understand me. Cuz I do what it do.) & before i squished him he disappeared. Couldn't find him afterwards & after a thorough search, I found him just chillin'. So I took that as a sign of a fighter/survivor. As a fighter/survivor myself, I would also pick slow death over assisted death.

I get this.

So I left him to the mechanics of the universe. Hopefully "him" & I can discuss such decisions upon my death.

I'm not a hippie. Those just seemed like the best words to describe the end result.

Edited by Dr.Bisquick
explaining crazy "hippie-talk"

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as long as you have some kind of plants in house a lady bug will survive over the winter. Except the ladybug i had no insects in my house for a whole winter, the ladybug just moved usually from plant to plant, and survived fine, i dunno if there was some hidden critters but there was nothing on the plants suggesting any other type of insects or issues, but it must've found something i guess, anyway it still survived fine and was pretty energetic till it started getting warmer outside and i let it go. 

Edited by Strike105X

6 hours ago, Strike105X said:

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as long as you have some kind of plants in house a lady bug will survive over the winter. Except the ladybug i had no insects in my house for a whole winter, the ladybug just moved usually from plant to plant, and survived fine, i dunno if there was some hidden critters but there was nothing on the plants suggesting any other type of insects or issues, but it must've found something i guess, anyway it still survived fine and was pretty energetic till it started getting warmer outside and i let it go. 

Oh he's dead now. He starved to death. Most likely though, your plants had some kind of aphids. They're extremely small, very common & a ladybug's favorite snack.