Does anyone here watch (modern) anime English dubs?

NowItsAngeTime

I always hear the classic "The only good anime dubs are things like Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc." aka shows that appeared on Toonami back in the day.

There was a period in the early-mid 2000s were dubs had mixed quality but imo in the last 3-5 years or so, English Dubs have increased a lot in quality.

The voice actors take their work very seriously and there's a lot of work between the dubbing company as well as the original Japanese company to make sure the final dubbed product matches the Japanese companies' standards and just making sure dubbed lines in general are well acted/directed.

There may be some dubbed lines that get controversy every so once in a while but I consider those a minority and that if you watch a dub of a particularly popular show, honestly the dub is almost guaranteed to be good.

:jinpou:

get out and never speak of this again.

i dont listen to dubs by default. sometimes ill switch over when im curios about them but most of the time i dont like what i hear. unless laura bailey is involved. one punch man stuck out as a pretty solid dub with some weak points, mainly genos. i think the voice actors for attack on titan are good but even so, i wont ever listen to it, mostly because i hate what the dub writers and directors done with it. they made mikasa more sarcastic instead of blunt, eren is more self blamey. and one scene i knew how they would change it before i even saw the ep and they did. in one scene theyre cleaning up bodies after a big disaster and one of the soldiers recognizes one of the fallen. he is distraught with grief and cant believe hes dead. a lady comes by who im guessing is in charge in some way or another and asks for the fallen soldiers name. in his grief he ignores her and tries to find answers on what happened when she asks again. he looks at her in annoyance like "cant you understand what im fucking going through right now?" and she responds in a firm but calm tone that they need to finish their current duty in order to avoid disease and another potential disaster. she doesnt say sorry because its a job they have to do now and grieving comes later. ofc i knew they would include her saying sorry to him in the dub. i know it seems liek a minor detail but they change a lot of shit all the time for no reason. one scene comes off as confusing because of how its said in the dub when it was supposed to tell a very detailed and important message.

Edited by mitchhamilton

I watch dubs about half the time, maybe? If I'm watching something on Crunchyroll, which is often the case, there's not really much of a choice, but I buy a lot of discs and I have a tendency to watch dubs when available on those. As an example, I just finished rewatching the dub of Nagi no Asukara, which I've watched dubbed both times I've seen it, and I expect I'd find it very weird to watch it subbed and have all the voices be "wrong" vs. how I think of the characters. Other good dubs I can think of off the top of my head would include the Kokoro Connect dub, another of my favorite shows. A quick glance at my shelves also reminds me of Steins;Gate and Spice and Wolf, which IIRC both had excellent dubs. The anime adaptations of Key VNs are mix-and-match, though mostly good. Clannad is great except for Tomoyo, and Kanon is great except for Sayuri. Unfortunately, that one "except" can kind of ruin the whole experience, which obviously does make dubs more of a dicey proposition...

I don't really have the need to watch dubbed anime; did so in the past at times, but it was different; certain 90's shows kind of fit the bill for these, but not any more. There are certain shows that actually do sound as good or even better than the japanese VA (Rune Soldier Louie, for example), but it's often because of the shows themselves; it's much easier to get into voice acting, when it's something you're more familiar with.

If you mean by modern was the anime from 2010's, then so far I still didn't watch those in dub yet and maybe will not in near future. The reason was because nowadays it would be easier to find the subbed anime while usually the dubbing take some time. That said, there's an anime that I want to see the dubbed version and it was Phoenix Wright, if only because we already have localized names in the game itself - I didn't like that the sub did keep their Japanese name when they could just localised it like live action movie of Phoenix Wright, but that's just me.

Oh boy a post I can actually do.

So here is the thing, I do a lot of dub watching but also sub watching. Some series such as Steins;Gate I can't touch with a ten foot pole in dub. Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Briggade?) on the other hand I watched in entirely dub (although I know what the sub sounds like).

I honestly dono how to feel, I understand they do try there best but I feel sometimes the characters are dub incorrectly. As in they either try too hard to copy the original VA which fucks the english up so badly (for example lolis or loli like voices end up getting so fucking annoying in english because it just sounds bad) or the character sounds very "out-of-Character." example being a calm stern voice in Japanese ending up not so much that in english.

Point is, it really isn't about how good the VA is, it's about how the english is trying to portray the character that, to me, is either a hit or miss. I can name numerous shows that I enjoyed in dub and still do but at the same time I can name quite a number that just hurt my ears or annoyed me.

All people who ask this or similar questions (from the other side) are trolls.  While I only watch raws or subs, that is simply because I don't see the point in wasting my time with the double conversion of translation to dubs, which usually results in massive differences from the original script in terms of generalized content. 

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

I found the dub in Danganronpa the VN a bit poor, besides, I didn't like the game.

You're too kind saying that the english dub is only a bit poor. I couldn't handle five minutes of it.

But yeah, I usually prefer subs over dub, so maybe I'm judging it a bit too harshly. The only thing that I prefer english over japanese is Persona 4, because everyone but MC and Naoto's jp voice annoys me.

21 hours ago, Akshay said:

the-wrong-way-to-piss-off-anime-fans-cal

Honestly it's pretty silly how true this ends up being. If people insult you with stuff like "weeaboo" or whatever they'll just downvote or ignore.

But when someone has an honest opinion that's very different, that's where the ramblings and rage comes in.

I try to avoid it, but sometimes I do. If it's something that seems like it'd be better dubbed like Kekkai Sensen, I'd watch it dubbed, but otherwise it's subbed all the way for me. Subs are almost guaranteed quality and are available sooner. It's also closer to how the original script and intentions behind the anime were. Dubs tend to try to stay close to the original script, but they can never be as exact as the subbed release.

21 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

You're too kind saying that the english dub is only a bit poor. I couldn't handle five minutes of it.

Well, I usually go with Japanese VA, but I could tell for sure that Danganronpa's VA was under par. I'm more or less accustomed to native English speakers talking, but it seems the choice of actors wasn't very solid.

15 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Well, I usually go with Japanese VA, but I could tell for sure that Danganronpa's VA was under par. I'm more or less accustomed to native English speakers talking, but it seems the choice of actors wasn't very solid.

You know whether this is just for danganronpa 1 or all of them? (I'll play 2 soon) Some series actually improve in later games, not that I'm planning to play with eng voices anyway (I really liked Nobuyo Ooyama as Monokuma).

18 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

You know whether this is just for danganronpa 1 or all of them? (I'll play 2 soon) Some series actually improve in later games, not that I'm planning to play with eng voices anyway (I really liked Nobuyo Ooyama as Monokuma).

It's for the first Danganronpa.

I didn't like the game, so I'm not buying more parts (I even asked for a refund of Danganronpa 1).

To give something of a background, Virtue's Last Reward is one of my favourite games (note, not VNs) of all time, but Danganronpa doesn't even come close to it, for a variety of reasons. I've played most games by Uchikoshi, which were always above par (except ZTD which was a disappointment).

4 hours ago, Okarin said:

It's for the first Danganronpa.

I didn't like the game, so I'm not buying more parts (I even asked for a refund of Danganronpa 1).

To give something of a background, Virtue's Last Reward is one of my favourite games (note, not VNs) of all time, but Danganronpa doesn't even come close to it, for a variety of reasons. I've played most games by Uchikoshi, which were always above par (except ZTD which was a disappointment).

Okay, I'll find out for myself. ;)

I like danganronpa for its sheer absurdity and ludicrous and fun characters, but as a mystery, utsuge or detective game it's surely lacking. Didn't have the time to play VLR yet.

I do watch modern English dubs, but not much.

Let's see...
If you consider Jormungand, then there's one I prefer in English.
The Royal Tutor is a show I watched in both languages, and I enjoyed it in English more. This had to do with the delivery of the lines, mostly. The jokes are more instantaneous and well-time when I can hear them than when I read them (in most cases, they're also adapted if especially foreign).
Since you're all talking about Danganronpa, the Danganronpa 3 anime got a really funny dub. Do mind that this video may contain spoilers, if you plan on watching the series. As for the games, I like them as well, but that just me (apparently).
I also liked the Psycho-Pass dub.

I love anything with Michel J. Tatum or Crispin Freeman in them, and will watch shows they partake in just for them.
A lot of dubs, including this one, can and do change the character and personality of the characters when localising the title. In many cases, this lets me enjoy both versions as different experiences, as happened with Steins;Gate. I prefer Steins;Gate in English, I should note.

The only reason I don't watch more dubs is because I tend to default to Japanese. It was a complete coincidence I tried Jormungand, for instance.
But I'm the sort of scrub who'd like any dub.

Actually, I've bee replaying Valkyria Chronicles in Japanese lately, but I had to give up. Alicia was localised in such a way that when I changed to the Japanese version, I found myself much preferring the English one.