Doki Doki Literature Club! (DDLC)

75306-1.png

Doki Doki Literature Club!

VNDB
Official Website (Download Link)\Steam

*Summary*

Hi, Monika here!

Welcome to the Literature Club! It's always been a dream of mine to make something special out of the things I love. Now that you're a club member, you can help me make that dream come true in this cute game!

Every day is full of chit-chat and fun activities with all of my adorable and unique club members:

Sayori, the youthful bundle of sunshine who values happiness the most;
Natsuki, the deceivingly cute girl who packs an assertive punch;
Yuri, the timid and mysterious one who finds comfort in the world of books;
...And, of course, Monika, the leader of the club! That's me!

I'm super excited for you to make friends with everyone and help the Literature Club become a more intimate place for all my members. But I can tell already that you're a sweetheart—will you promise to spend the most time with me? ♥

*Controls*

Spoiler

Left-click, Enter
Advances through the game, activates menu choices, buttons, and sliders.

Space
Advances through the game, but does not activate choices.

Arrow Keys
Navigates between menu choices, buttons, and sliders.

Ctrl
Causes skipping to occur while the ctrl key is held down.

Escape
Enters the game menu. When in the game menu, returns to the game.

Right-click, H
Hides the text window and other transient displays.

F
Toggles fullscreen mode

S
Takes a screenshot, saving it in a file named screenshotxxxx.png, where xxxx is a serial number.

Alt-M, Command-H
Hides (iconifies) the window.

Alt-F4, Command-Q
Quits the game.

Delete
When a save slot is selected, deletes that save slot.

*Ending Guideline / Suggested Route-Ending Order*

There are two main endings for this Visual Novel, one Bad End and one Good\True End. For a better enjoyment of the game, I recommend your first playthrough to be blind (even if you're the type of person who don't play visual novels and only like to read the stories within them), use the guide on your second playthrough only if you get stuck. make your own choices until you reach the credits (remember the story only ends when you reach the credits!). Some basic things you need to know before you start playing (Read only after getting an ending to avoid minor spoilers):

Spoiler

Poems

Spoiler

Several times throughout the game, you will be able to write poems. The "poems" are really just 20 words you choose from a book in front of you. Each word will give a number of points to a specific girl, and at the end of the 20 words whichever girl has the most points will end up being the "favored" one for the next day (meaning in the first two days of the game's plot, you'll get their CG scene for that day). A slight indicator as to what girl prefers what word is whether their sticker in the lower-left part of the screen jumps. Though typically points are given to every girl (1 to 3 points), the one earning the most points will have their sticker jump.

NOTE: If you by chance get a glitchy word, though it's apparently very rare. Said word doesn't appeal to any of the girls.

Deleting Character\Save Files

Spoiler

Some times during the game you'll have to delete "Characters" from the game, the files you need to delete are located in the game folder in the sub-folder named "Characters".
If you want to delete you save data:

• PC, Official Site Version: Navigate to the game folder and delete the file named "firstrun". The next time you start the game, you will be asked to delete your save data. Select "Yes, delete my existing data". The game will then start from the beginning.
  • Mac, Official Site Version: Mac users can access the game directory by right-clicking on the DDLC application and selecting "Show Package Contents." Then, the game directory can be found in Contents/Resources/autorun. Delete the file named "firstrun". The next time you start the game, you will be asked to delete your save data. Select "Yes, delete my existing data". The game will then start from the beginning.
  • Steam Versions: You can access the game files by right-clicking the game in your Library, then selecting Properties. In the Local Files tab, click the "Browse local files..." button. This will open a window with the game directory. Delete the file named "firstrun". The next time you start the game, you will be asked to delete your save data. Select "Yes, delete my existing data". The game will then start from the beginning. A further note, exclusive to the Steam versions: above the "Browse local files..." button is a "Verify Game Integrity" button: this will ensure any missing files are replaced. This will be helpful for reasons you will find out during the course of the game.

With that in mind, my recommended route order for a better understanding of the story is:

Spoiler

Bad End -->True End 

A poem guide is at the next section of this walkthrough.

*Poem Guide*

Each girl have specific words that gives you points while you're writing the poem, this are the words (For a more detailed table, see this):

Sayori Words

Spoiler

Adventure, Alone, Amazing, Awesome, Beauty, Bed, Bliss, Broken, Calm, Charm, Cheer, Childhood, Clumsy, Color, Comfort, Cry, Dance, Dark, Daydream, Dazzle, Death, Defeat, Depression, Embrace, Empty, Excitement, Extraordinary, Family, Fear, Feather, Fireflies, Fireworks, Flower, Flying, Forgive, Friends, Fun, Grief, Happiness, Heart, Holiday, Hope, Hopeless, Hurt, Joy, Laugh, Lazy, Loud, Love, Lucky, Marriage, Memories, Misery, Misfortune, Music, Nature, Ocean, Pain, Party, Passion, Peaceful, Play, Prayer, Precious, Promise, Rainbow, Raincloud, Romance, Rose, Sadness, Scars, Shame, Silly, Sing, Smile, Sparkle, Special, Sunny, Sunset, Sweet, Tears, Together, Tragedy, Treasure, Unrequited, Vacation, Warm, Wonderful.

Natsuki Words

Spoiler

Anger, Anime, Blanket, Boop, Bouncy, Bubbles, Bunny, Candy, Cheeks, Chocolate, Clouds, Cute, Doki-Doki, Email, Fantasy, Fluffy, Games, Giggle, Hair, Headphones, Heartbeat, Hop, Jump, Jumpy, Kawaii, Kiss, Kitty, Lipstick, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Melody, Milk, Mouse, Nibble, Nightgown, Papa, Parfait, Peace, Pink, Playground, Poof, Pout, Puppy, Pure, Ribbon, Shiny, Shopping, Skipping, Skirt, Socks, Spinning, Sticky, Strawberry, Sugar, Summer, Swimsuit, Twirl, Valentine, Vanilla, Waterfall, Whisper, Whistle.

Yuri Words

Spoiler

NOTE: During the second phase, the words that would apply to Sayori, will apply to Yuri instead.
 Afterimage, Agonizing, Ambient, Analysis, Anxiety, Atone, Aura, Breathe, Cage, Captive, Climax, Contamination, Cover, Crimson, Desire, Despise, Destiny, Determination, Disarray, Disaster, Disoriented, Disown, Dream, Effulgent, Electricity, Entropy, Essence, Eternity, Existence, Explode, Extreme, Fester, Fickle, Flee, Frightening, Graveyard, Heavensent, Horror, Imagination, Incapable, Incongruent, Infallible, Inferno, Infinite, Insight, Intellectual, Journey, Judgment, Landscape, Lust, Massacre, Meager, Melancholy, Philosophy, Pleasure, Portrait, Question, Raindrops, Secretive, Sensation, Starscape, Suicide, Tenacious, Time, Uncanny, Uncontrollable, Unending, Universe, Unrestrained, Unstable, Variance, Vertigo, Vibrant, Vitality, Vivacious, Vivid, Whirlwind, Wrath.

*Route-Ending Guideline*

Imagem relacionada
~Bad End~

Spoiler

This is the ending most people will get just by playing the game for the first time. All you need to do is play through the game normally, don't focus on any girl while writing your poem and also don't confess your love to Sayori, after a certain scene you will see an "END" screen, this will unlock a second playthrough via a glitched option, during this second phase the plot is linear (there are choices but they're meaningless, I recommend writing for Yuri for some extra scenes). You'll eventually reach a scene where you have the option to confess to Yuri ,chose "No", after she commits the act, click the skip button and wait until you reach another scene with Monika deleting the characters, go to the characters folder and delete the file that reads "monika.chr". Now read until the end. After the credits re-install the game.

Resultado de imagem para Doki Doki literature club
~True End~

Spoiler

Now things get a bit complicated, to get this ending you need to see all CGS and make all girls (with the exception of Monika) happy before the second phase, who do you do that? using save files of course! Skip until you reach the first poem, now save here. If you want to see how the CG conditons works, see this link.
Phase 1: Getting All CGS

Spoiler

Sayori
Sayori

Spoiler

1)First Day write a poem to Sayori (See Poem Guide for further reference)
2)Multi-Selection Choice (You'll eventually have to chose everything)
3)Help me, Sayori!!
4)Second Day write a poem to Sayori (See Poem Guide for further reference)
5)Multi-Selection Choice (You'll eventually have to chose everything)
6)I would still walk home with Sayori.
7)Third Day write a poem to Sayori (See Poem Guide for further reference)
8)Multi-Selection Choice (You'll eventually have to chose everything)
9)Sayori... followed by "Monika.", after that chose any other girl you want.
10)I love you. (After the scene, load a save file on the first poem, DON'T proceed to the second phase.)

Natsuki
Natsuki

Spoiler

1)First Day write a poem to Natsuki (See Poem Guide for further reference)
3)Natsuki.
4)Second Day write a poem to Natsuki (See Poem Guide for further reference)
6)I would walk home with Natsuki.
7)Third Day write a poem to Natsuki (See Poem Guide for further reference)
9)Natsuki.
10)You'll always be my dearest friend. (After the scene, load a save file on the first poem, DON'T proceed to the second phase.)

Yuri
Yuri

Spoiler

1)First Day write a poem to Yuri (See Poem Guide for further reference)
3)Yuri.
4)Second Day write a poem to Yuri (See Poem Guide for further reference)
6)I would walk home with Yuri.
7)Third Day write a poem to Yuri (See Poem Guide for further reference)
9)Yuri.
10)I love you. (If you got all CGS, proceed to the second phase now. If not load a save file to get the remaining ones)

Monika
Monika

Spoiler

This is simply earned throughout the process, after you go to the weird place with her assuming you don't delete her character file pre-emptively.

Phase 2 & 3: No Sayori and Just Monika

Spoiler

Choices continue to be meaningless, though the poems still affect the dialogue (I recommend writing poems to Natsuki, since some of her backstory is missable, while you'll inevitable learn the problems of the other girls, like in the bad end.) accept Yuri's confession this time and DON'T delete Monika. After the final Yuri scene, just proceed normally until you reach a room with Monika, I recommend talking to her at least until she says that she will stop to collect her thoughts (you can still talk to hear for like 30 minutes, she will start talking about random topics, but, it's optional), click on her CG at least 10 times, now delete her character file. 

Phase 4: No more Monika

Spoiler

Start a new game, proceed normally (DON'T SKIP), before the credits Sayori will say new things to you, and... that's it!

*Easter Eggs*

NOTE: Only read this section after completing all main endings!

Doki Doki Literature Club is full of secrets and easter eggs, here's a compilation of the ones that I found!

Weird Ending

Spoiler

For this, you need to start with a completely fresh game. From there, open the game and go to the title screen. Once there, don't do anything, and instead navigate to the character file folder and delete the "monika.chr" file as you would in the bad ending. Then start the new game. after the end, start the game again to see a picture. This end is very short. You'll need to re-install the game for full playability.

NOTE: You can also get a variation of this end by pasting the "Sayori.chr" file on the characters folder (Second Act).

Secret Poems

Spoiler

At the beginning of each run, three special poems are chosen to be shown throughout the game. There are a total of 11 special poems found so far as of the creation\adaptation of this guide. (See this link, so you can see the pictures)

Secret Character\Game Files

Spoiler

While playing for the first time, there will be 4 files in the {"game"/characters} folder. Each has it's message's/links and different ways to decode.

Monika
1. monika.chr -> This file can be renamed to a .png file eg: "monika.png" resulting in a picture of a flaming ring with a square in the center that contains black and white pixels. When this square is translated through binary, it translates to a Base64 string, which when translated, turns into this document.

2. natsuki.chr -> This file can be renamed to a .jpeg file eg: "natsuki.jpg", inverting the color on the picture and then mapping it onto a 3D cone shows the picture of a girl when viewed from above.

Natsuki
NatsukiDecode
3. sayori.chr -> This file can be renamed into a .ogg file, apply a spectograph to the audio file, which will generate a QR code. This site's IP address and hosting information correlate with the game's main site.

4. yuri.chr -The final .chr file when opened is simply a long string of alpha-numeric text. Putting it into any hash type detection tools finds that it is Base64 which when converted turns into this document.

5. monika.chr-> On a fresh reinstallment of Doki Doki, go to make a new game. Once you get to the screen where you pick your name, delete Monika's character file. Add your name and start the game. A screen with Sayori will appear, with her crying and yelling "MAKE IT STOP."

A screen will appear displaying the word "END", then go to a black and white GIF of Sayori hanging from a noose.

6. If you open the scripts.rpa game file, located in the game folder of the game directory, you can find a secret note.

"HXPPY THXUGHTS"

Spoiler

Going to the game files (Via the steam common files if using steam) when player is viewing Sayori's house at the day she hang herself once again, you can see a file labeled "hxppythxughts.png" which shows a disoriented child-like drawing. Appears to be a picture of Sayori hanging herself and may be the one that has a chance of appearing as a poster before Sayori's suicide.

You can see the picture here.

Secret Messages

Spoiler

Throughout parts of the game, there will be little files created in the game folder that you can open and look at. These get deleted later on, so it's a good idea to keep the game folder open if you want to see them. The first of these is an image file created on the morning of the festival. After that, there will be some text files created, with messages presumably from Monika.

You may remember a scene where you see an error message on the screen that an exception has occurred. It actually creates a real error report file in the game folder which will contain a bit of dialogue, also from Monika.

The character files and some other messages are codes containing interesting things when deciphered.

*Attribution*

This walkthrough is based on info attained on this guide on Gamefaqs by Eevee-Trainer, this Steam Guide by KimisanaKentai, this other Steam Guide by Hoxton and my own playthrough. Easter Egg info from Doki Doki Wiki and Gameplay Tips. If you want to see more Easter Eggs, see the latter links. 

Edited by Guest
Added Stuff, New Format, etc.