Top Fights in VNs? (light general spoilers)

onorub

Seeing how VNs have to be creative about sprite/CG usage when doing fights, i wonder which ones are the favorites here. Light general spoilers to mention the names, but if one of the opponents is a major reveal, spoiler tags are recommended.

My top 5 would be:

5) First battle between Saber, Archer and Berserker (Unlimited Blade Works from Fate/Stay Night)
4) Final battle between Shirou and Kotomine (Heaven's Feel from Fate/Stay Night)
3) Tsubame vs Momoyo tournament finals (Tsubame's route from MajiKoi S)
2) Final battle between Kei and Eleonore (Marie's route from Dies Irae)
1) Final battle between Shirou and Kaziklu Bey (Kasumi's route from Dies Irae)

Honorable mention: Kawakami War (Momoyo's route from MajiKoi) - didn't include because i thought that would be a little cheating.

Propeller fights are awesome! I really liked the fight vs Kuuki. (Ayakashibito)

I liked the fate bad ending where shirou uses crane-wings. And any fight/massacre with gilgamesh.

I liked some of the random fight scenes in Dengeki Stryker as well. 

And Comyu fights were decent, the last fight was really epic. The music helped lot for this though.

When it comes to CG usage and all that, Mahoyo tops pretty much... anything. Others I really liked were all of Kuuki's fights in Ayakashibito and the final battle. Actually, most battles in that game were great.

Shirou vs Bey is always awesome to read, mainly the final ones in Kasumi's and Marie's routes. 

2 hours ago, Overlord87 said:

You really can't get any better than Shirous vs Bey. The dialogues, the action, the absurd difference in level of power and yet somehow everything clicks. Great stuff.

Actually, the difference of power was my biggest problem with them. Shirou is apparently just a 'normal human', just a bit tougher than most, and Bey & Co are totally overpowed super human beings. Since Bey can apparently kill normal humans with a snip of his fingers through his blood skills - which he did at the school - fighting Shirou was completely unnecessary. He could have just killed him with a finger snip.

Furthermore, the explanation that Shirou doesn't feel pain 'just because he's stupid' also isn't particularly convincing and not feeling pain also doesn't stop your body from collapsing if you suffer heavy injuries. The only fight of Shirou I could somehow believe was the first one because of the surprise moment. But the rest was just absurd nonesense.

For me a fight has to offer a certain plausibility or there's just no point in them.

1) Silverio Vendetta - Zephyr's first battle (vs Libra and foot soldiers).  It is probably the single coolest one-sided massacre that I've ever seen in a VN... and it serves as a perfect introduction to Zephyr as a character.

2) Devils Devel Concept - Sora vs Kanata.  A great fight all-around, but it is made even cooler by the sheer scale of what they are doing, lol.

3) Vermilion Bind of Blood - Fake Tri-finger vs Toshirou.  Vermilion has about nine battle scenes that I would consider to be up there at the top, but when he faces off against the fake Tri-finger for a final time in one of the paths (I'm not spoiling it), they are both so awesome...  I was tempted to put Hakushaku vs Toshirou or White Pile (retired) vs Army of Testaments (seriously, one of the top five best scenes in this vein)

4) Tiny Dungeon Brave or Slave - Hime vs Gen - Hime is an inspiring warrior overall, but this fight is great.

5) Dies Irae (take either of the final battles from Maries or Rea's paths, lol).  I know some will be surprised I didn't pick these as number one... but I'm not trying to be objective here.  As much as I love this game...

6) Evolimit - Shizuku and Shiranui vs Tempest/Company Man - This fight is the climax of the story, and in terms of the scale of what is going on, it can be said that it is bigger than the last battles of Dies Irae... lol

7) Bullet Butlers - Rick vs Alfred.  In terms of gun and blade fights (both) there just aren't any that get close to this one, though the father-son battle in Bloody Rondo makes a good try at it. 

8 ) Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier - The Serizawa Assassination - While it is over quickly, this is an awesome and emotional bloody scene, which serves as a huge turning point for the main story of this game.

9) Bradyon Veda - Naoto vs Claudia - This fight is great for its complexity... and the sheer desperation on Naoto's side.  Like Dies Irae's fights, this one has the protagonist approaching from a position where he is horribly disadvantaged, so it is interesting that way too.

10) Ayakashibito - Kuki-sensei vs Souichi - Take any of the fights between these two, and you won't find one that is boring.  However, I am specifically referring to the true 'youkai version' ending of Suzu's path's battle. 

Edited by Clephas

Hmm, It would certainly be something of Dies Irae, but I don't know which one to pick as a top 1.

- Shirou vs Bey last fight in Kasumi's route was absurdly awesome, an human being vs a monster itself and the twists and turns Shirou made was amazing. 

- The super collosally overpowered final fight in Rea's route gave me chills of hype, seriously, and was awesome too.

1. My no.1 is definitely Ayakashibito, this is the peak production by 東出祐一郎, full of really great fights.

2. Muv-Luv: I rank Muv-Luv no.2 because almost everyone dead, which is not my liking.

3. Demonbane Series, well I still remeber Al so well although I played like 13 years ago.

4. Soukou Akki Muramasa: N+ is really good at this type of games.

5. Other N+ games like  月光のカルネヴァーレ, 塵骸魔京 etc

Here are a few that I can think of right now

First battle of Fate Stay Night (Archer vs Lancer)

1. Saber vs Berserker

2. Saber vs Archer (real)

3. Shirou vs Kotomine (Heavens Feel)  

4. Shiki vs Chaos Tsukihime

5. Shiki Vs SHIKI

6. Battle of Sadogashima  Muv Luv Alternative

7. Battle of Yokohama Base

8. Original Hive

9. Oh last battle of Galaxy Angel (Mint's route)

Edited by Ranzo