If anyone's interested in how the SP translation of Hoshimemo compares to the original English TL (All Early Prologue - No Spoilers)

NowItsAngeTime

While I mostly prefer the SP version it does feel bit weird/literal sometimes. The dialogue is generally better than the opening narration, so maybe the translator/editor was better at that kind of writing. SP seems to generally have kept more detail, and the longer lines that result need careful handling to look good. One line that exemplifies my complaints would be this, where I guardedly prefer Insem's version:
5m7O5kf.png

The SP wording doesn't feel very good here; it smells of literally carrying over some jp concept.

Overall there's a lot of dialogue in the VN though, and the improvement there looks considerable. Hopefully some later plot elements will also make more sense with the new translation, though idk man.

1 hour ago, Zakamutt said:

While I mostly prefer the SP version it does feel bit weird/literal sometimes. The dialogue is generally better than the opening narration, so maybe the translator/editor was better at that kind of writing. SP seems to generally have kept more detail, and the longer lines that result need careful handling to look good. One line that exemplifies my complaints would be this, where I guardedly prefer Insem's version:
5m7O5kf.png

The SP wording doesn't feel very good here; it smells of literally carrying over some jp concept.

Overall there's a lot of dialogue in the VN though, and the improvement there looks considerable. Hopefully some later plot elements will also make more sense with the new translation, though idk man.

It's funny you mention that line because the fan-tl is actually a mistranslation. 

35 minutes ago, Chuee said:

It's funny you mention that line because the fan-tl is actually a mistranslation. 

Well, in that case I find fault with both left and right sides of the localiquation :P. I feel like what I'd want would be more similar to Insem's version in structure than the SP version, though - just, like, with added accuracy.

Well, it actually works out conveniently enough because the thing he's reminiscing on is a 'farewell', but it's clear it was misinterpreted if you look at the Japanese line 過去に離れていた意識. 

Mistakes like that are also super frequent too. I only see one in the posted screenshots, but they're littered throughout the script, and I don't think many people every realized that. There's essentially nothing you could possibly want out of the old fan-tl besides something as tiny as the structure of the occasional line. Even lines that are translated 'right' still have a plethora of issues (just look at the conversation between Asuho and Kosame), and the narration completely disregards flow and writes at an elementary school level. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking; if we didn't know Insem was incompetent I wouldn't have been able to rule out it being a moderately clever liberal translation.
I definitely agree with you on which tl is preferable, and would never recommend the fan tl over the new tl. It's just in my nature to nitpick (and well, this is a tl comparison thread :P).

It's definitely possible that I'm allocating more time to the SP side of the equation because I'm making too strong an assumption that people will easily see or at least know about the problems with the fan tl.

1 hour ago, Beichuuka said:

If they were a fan of the work or writer they might care, but the average vn for the average reader?
Should they really be expected to care if the TL is accurate?

Yes, they should...

When you are given 2 options, and one is objectively better than the other, choosing the worse one is weird.

Should they really be expected to care if the TL is accurate?

I can't even fathom that someone would ask this question.

Are you really saying you are okay with TLs that are incorrect, simply because you're an "average reader?" ... What's even the point of TLs, if people don't care if they are accurate or not.

11 hours ago, Dergonu said:

You like the innaccurate TL better? That's uh... interesting.

I don't like Insem translation for 3 reasons:

First it was translated from CHINESE to english, meaning it was a Japanese -> Chinese -> English translation.

Second Insem kicked off from the team anyone that dared to suggest that his translation was in serious need of TLC and editing because it was crap and badly written (though it probably wouldn't have fixed the inherent problems with a J->C->E translation and the fact that Insem isn't really a great writter).

Third Insem is an asshole and a racist.

Edited by Nier

9 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Yes, they should...

When you are given 2 options, and one is objectively better than the other, choosing the worse one is weird.

I can't even fathom that someone would ask this question.

Are you really saying you are okay with TLs that are incorrect, simply because you're an "average reader?" ... What's even the point of TLs, if people don't care if they are accurate or not.

No, the point is that they can't tell the difference.
Without us there to tell them, "hey, you're getting a crappy translation, you should be asking for better," there's no way for them to care.
So what if the result is a unreadable mess? To them that may as well be a problem with the editing/proofreading, not a problem with translation.

Edited by Beichuuka

I know this is supposed to be a spoiler-free comparison, but it would be super great to have a comparison of specific dialog in Asuho's confession scene, specifically one part where the protagonist replies to her with "yeah sure"... so terrible! This part of the original TL bothered me the most. I hope they've improved it.