MangaGamer AnimeNYC 2017 announcements

ChaosRaven

MangaGamer made some announcements on the AnimeNYC 2017 convention.

Two Ammolite nukiges were announced - Sweet Switch and Bitter Exclusion - which are actually don't looking so bad, even if the latter one is certainly 2NTR4Me.

Besides that, Princess Evangile W Happiness will get a hardcopy. Not too unexpected, and I'm actually thinking about getting the whole double package along with a KnS2 hardcopy.

ImoPara 2 also got an X-mas release date for 22nd December, and this strange Umineko Fighter thingy as well at 8th of December.

Edited by ChaosRaven

Pretty much bottom of the barrel nukige as usual, if MangaGamer wants to release nukiges, why are they releasing some of the worst and most unknown?

There are plenty of good nukige, like these:

The Kabe no Mukou no Tsuma no Koe series:

https://vndb.org/v12942

https://vndb.org/v19463

Youkoso! Sukebe Elf no Mori e:

https://vndb.org/v20464

Mesu Kyoushi 4 ~Kegasareta Kyoudan~:

https://vndb.org/v16104

https://twitter.com/JRyechuR/status/931710867665817600 - I enjoyed working on both titles :)

@Nier, just a general note that it's infinitely easier to work on games that are developed by companies a publisher already has connections with than to try to work with a new company. I didn't look too hard, but it doesn't look like ANY of the companies you mentioned have any sort of relationship with any English-language companies, subsidiaries and all. Again, didn't look too hard though.

Marigold has been around forever, Bishop/AiCherry have been around literally forever. So has Anim. I have no basis for this, but I'd think that, if you partner with a company for a specific title, the first thing they'll ask is "Why not this newer game?" Some of the titles you mention are a few years old, and would fit into that category.

Also, I edit what I enjoy. Your "bottom of the barrel" is my "sweet spot." I'll kindly ask that you not trash other's tastes :)

If you have particular suggestions, might I suggest sending [email protected] an e-mail? I hear that's the preferred way to put up suggestions...

These titles are from Ammolite and Appetite, they all have the same pattern, retained mosaic and low rating.

Sweet Young Bride ~Our Married Life Begins~: https://vndb.org/v17897 Avegerage rating of 5.54

Sweet Sweat in Summer: The Naughty Girl and Her Ripe Scent: https://vndb.org/v16006 Average rating of 5.93

Marina's Cuckolding Report: https://vndb.org/v12949 Average rating of 6.96

Forbidden Love with My Wife’s Sister:  https://vndb.org/v8310 Average rating of 5.54

Secret Sorrow of the Siblings: https://vndb.org/v9709 Average rating of 5.51

In the realm of the west publishing of VNs, there is a new french publisher: https://vndb.org/p7303 who also started releasing nukiges and they are also ALL from Appetite and Ammolite and just as it was with MangaGamer they are all mosaiced as well.

The reason for that is most likely because Amenonuboko (the company behind Ammolite and Appetite) offers a cheap deal for western publishers and these publishers take these cheap licenses to get higher revenues, because no matter how bad, unknown or mosaiced a nukige is, it will still make enough money none-the-less because boobs.

1 hour ago, Ryechu said:

if you partner with a company for a specific title, the first thing they'll ask is "Why not this newer game?" Some of the titles you mention are a few years old, and would fit into that category.

Is that why MangaGamer decided to release Bitter Exclusion: https://vndb.org/v13086, the oldest Ammolite title? And none of the titles I mentioned are any older than that, as a matter of fact two of them are pretty new.

Edited by Nier

@Ryechu

@Nier

Reposting this from the other topic as well, because this is relevant:

Update: There's a pretty good chance that Youkoso! Sukebe Elf no Mori e/ ようこそ! スケベエルフの森へ https://vndb.org/v20464 could get a localization and a Western release

It's clear from what I've saw that quite a lot of people want this VN localized. What's more, I took a look through Lune's Twitter and found this:

https://twitter.com/luneman_etc/status/721869236910448641

Judging from his surprise, until 4/18/2016, no one had actually asked him about localization. His response, however, seemed to be in favor of English localizations and releases. So that's a good sign for localization odds.

I suggest that anyone who wants a Youkoso! Sukebe Elf no Mori e  Western release like I do email [email protected] and ask them about it, and also to ask for this VN when Mangagamer's annual licensing survey comes up again. And SPREAD THE WORD.

Edited by XChaosX
SPREAD THE WORD.

1 hour ago, Ryechu said:

I have no basis for this, but I'd think that, if you partner with a company for a specific title, the first thing they'll ask is "Why not this newer game?"

While the thought makes certainly sense, Japanese VN developers seem to 'click' in a different way and they usually seem to ask "Why not this older game?" instead.

When MangaGamer got involved with AliceSoft they had to start with Beat Blades Haruka from the Bronze Age despite wanting a newer (or any) Rance title, and when they had a short deal with Lilith, they just got some titles from the Stone Age (which might be a reason why their relationship ended soon). Fortunately, we didn't have to endure a title from the early Cretaceaus period - meaning pre 2000 - yet. ^_^

So Japanese VN developers seem to be rather protective about their newer and better titles.

@ChaosRaven

20 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

While the thought makes certainly sense, Japanese VN developers seem to 'click' in a different way and they usually seem to ask "Why not this older game?" instead.

So Japanese VN developers seem to be rather protective about their newer and better titles.

The following info is from what I've read off of some now defunct site which I can't remember where. I can't attest to its accuracy, but the conjecture seems sound: I believe part of that has to do with price. VNs in the West generally have a lower market price than in Japan, possibly due to Westerners not being used to such a price point. Japanese VN developers don't want their Japanese audience to reverse import VNs at lower prices, so they generally localize old titles that have already been bought by most of their Japanese audience.

That said, it's still worth asking for newer titles localized like Youkoso! Sukebe Elf no Mori e . It's popular, the company seems willing to go for it sooner or later, and an English release in a few years or so is better than no English release at all.

Edited by XChaosX

I don't really know enough about VN releases, so it feels wierd to me that they announce two new games, when there are several 100% translated and edited games, without any release date. By the way, are there any news about those? I'm interested in Evenicle but don't know anything about it expect that it's fully translated and edited.

I'm not really interested in these two. Might check out Bitter Exculsion because of the wierd description.

I did state in edit summary at VNDB for Imopara 2 that I prefer either Evenicle or Suki Suki as December release for Mangagamer instead of that. Oh well, and as for the announcement to be fair it's just a smaller convention compared to both of AX and Otakon, so it's logical enough to me that Mangagamer just announced nukige VNs there.

@TheCrimsonFucker As for Evenicle, according to VNDB edit summary apparently Mangagamer said that they'll be release it 'within the year' which sounds quite vague obviously. What I sure for now is that it could be released at either one of twelve months at 2018 later XDDDD.

Edited by littleshogun

14 hours ago, Ryechu said:

If you have particular suggestions, might I suggest sending [email protected] an e-mail? I hear that's the preferred way to put up suggestions...

If only MangaGamer had some kind of place people could go, and post messages... some kind of appropriate forum... Maybe they could have a "Your suggestions to us!" thread :makina:

12 hours ago, XChaosX said:

The following info is from what I've read off of some now defunct site which I can't remember where. I can't attest to its accuracy, but the conjecture seems sound: I believe part of that has to do with price. VNs in the West generally have a lower market price than in Japan, possibly due to Westerners not being used to such a price point. Japanese VN developers don't want their Japanese audience to reverse import VNs at lower prices, so they generally localize old titles that have already been bought by most of their Japanese audience.

As far as I know, this is somewhat accurate.  (Of course I have no inside loop for information.)  But that's more true for anime than for visual novels.  Most Japanese will struggle to read a VN in English, so the Japanese version is probably more up their alley.

Older, less popular titles may make more attractive licenses for other reasons.  From the US side, they're cheaper.  From the Japanese side, companies will tend to be less protective of them; Alicesoft, for instance, didn't want to entrust their flagship series to someone they'd never worked with before.  Instead they released a test game.  Only the biggest Japanese companies might actually have employees that could personally judge the quality of a localization; most pretty much have to take on faith how it's going.  Look at Falcom and NISA, or MiKandi and what happened to Libra.  Once you've signed away those rights, they're gone.

7 hours ago, littleshogun said:

As for Evenicle, according to VNDB edit summary apparently Mangagamer said that they'll be release it 'within the year' which sounds quite vague obviously. What I sure for now is that it could be released at either one of twelve months at 2018 later XDDDD.

That's not all that vague.  It means within 12 months.  MG's status page says Evenicle isn't in Beta yet.  4 other games are, and 1 more is "testing complete".  Evenicle will follow them.  Sweet Switch is small, so it might not get its own slot.  But it's the "testing complete" one, and holidays are coming up.  Probably it's the January release.

So that's January to May.  Of the 6 games that are at 100/100 (Evenicle, Bokuten, Magical Marriage Lunatics, Supipara 2, Funbag Fantasy Sideboob Story, and Kiss for the Petals: Maidens of Michael), Bokuten is ... in development hell, and MML is huge.  They and Evenicle will probably be towards the end.  Supipara 2 is short, so it's almost definitely before them.  FFSS and KftP are iffier.  But Evenicle is a gameplay title, and they are not.  They probably come before it.  Which takes care of June, July, and August.

TL;DR - Expect Evenicle sometime between September and November of next year.

Edited by Nandemonai

7 hours ago, littleshogun said:

I did state in edit summary at VNDB for Imopara 2 that I prefer either Evenicle or Suki Suki as December release for Mangagamer instead of that. Oh well, and as for the announcement to be fair it's just a smaller convention compared to both of AX and Otakon, so it's logical enough to me that Mangagamer just announced nukige VNs there.

@TheCrimsonFucker As for Evenicle, according to VNDB edit summary apparently Mangagamer said that they'll be release it 'within the year' which sounds quite vague obviously. What I sure for now is that it could be released at either one of twelve months at 2018 later XDDDD.

Thanks at least now I can hope for a release in 2018 :D

On 11/19/2017 at 5:21 PM, Nandemonai said:

That's not all that vague. It means within 12 months. MG's status page says Evenicle isn't in Beta yet. 4 other games are, and 1 more is "testing complete". Evenicle will follow them.  Sweet Switch is small, so it might not get its own slot. But it's the "testing complete" one, and holidays are coming up. Probably it's the January release.

So that's January to May. Of the 6 games that are at 100/100 (Evenicle, Bokuten, Magical Marriage Lunatics, Supipara 2, Funbag Fantasy Sideboob Story, and Kiss for the Petals: Maidens of Michael), Bokuten is ... in development hell, and MML is huge. They and Evenicle will probably be towards the end. Supipara 2 is short, so it's almost definitely before them. FFSS and KftP are iffier. But Evenicle is a gameplay title, and they are not. They probably come before it.  Which takes care of June, July, and August.

TL;DR - Expect Evenicle sometime between September and November of next year.

I see that you guess it would be out at Q3 of 2018, make sense. And by vague that I stated earlier, it was in regard of the which month when Mangagamer would release Evenicle because so far there's no hint in regard of month from Mangagamer (Duh). So perhaps what you speculated in regard of Evenicle would be the truth.

As for Sweet Switch, perhaps it could be for January release like you said. Although looking from last January when we got Da Capo 3, then perhaps a bigger release like either Damekoi or Sorcery Joker would be possible as well because those two were in testing as of now - and certainly my wish here. So I say that perhaps we could had January release was divided by Sweet Switch and another release, because sometimes we had Mangagamer released two titles in one month. In regard of Bokuten, I think the reason for the development hell was because Mangagamer decided to port it to the new engine, and Doddler as the one who should work on that was quite busy with Imopara so Bokuten was getting low priority.

PS - I knew that there's also Suki Suki which still in testing right now, but seeing that the testing still not complete since back at May perhaps there's some negotiation in regard of Chuuable Soft right now that they Chuuable was bankrupted.

Edited by littleshogun