Broken Minds [90s Mystery/Psychological] (released on itch!)

LockedOn

TJoJJVX.png

Summary:

Broken Minds is a murder-mystery visual novel set in 90s Japan.

When lonely 20-something Noa Karada finds herself being stalked by a mysterious killer in a rabbit mask known as The Orphan, she contacts the Yamagata Private Detective Agency for help. However, as her case grows more complex, the detectives grow more distant and eccentric. Perhaps Noa would’ve been better off never letting them into her life at all…

Features:

• Explorable environments
• Inventive mystery-solving gameplay
• Many choices & hidden secrets throughout
• Six different endings
• Over an hour of original music
• That indie game sense of humor you've come to know and love
• Intense rabbit-related imagery

Available to Buy Now, or Play the Demo!

https://lockedon.itch.io/broken-minds

Screenshots:

KCE7qN5.png

U55Ajoe.png

VcAFN5j.png

AYbx4EY.png

kiaJgNL.png

Trailer:

~ A Brief Note From The Esteemed Creator ~

Hello everybody! It's my first time on this forum, and on this site in general. I too want visual novels to spread in the West, and am excited by the possibilities of what Western-created VNs can be. I'm especially interested in visual novels that avoid common anime tropes and clichés, and break new ground with a unique tone, look, feel, and perspective.

That's what I hoped to do when I created Broken Minds. It's been two years since I started working on it — I'm the sole developer, so progress was a bit slow. I'd really appreciate it if you told me what you think.

Thanks! :)

— LockedOn.

Edited by LockedOn
Added trailer

1 minute ago, Akshay said:

The character sprites are unique.

Did you draw inspiration (gameplay etc) from the Ace Attorney  series?

Thanks.

I love Ace Attorney, so it was pretty difficult not to copy certain gameplay ideas, especially "Pressing" for more information. I can see how the "mood choice" screen might resemble the "Mood Matrix" from Ace Attorney. I swear I didn't know about that when I designed it! However, it serves a completely different function, so I think I'm in the clear.

I would say the main influences of the game are Danganronpa, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, 999, and Denpa Teki na Kanojo, but some Phoenix Wright-ish jokes might've snuck in there.

— LockedOn.

6 minutes ago, LockedOn said:

Thanks.

I love Ace Attorney, so it was pretty difficult not to copy certain gameplay ideas, especially "Pressing" for more information. I can see how the "mood choice" screen might resemble the "Mood Matrix" from Ace Attorney. I swear I didn't know about that when I designed it! However, it serves a completely different function, so I think I'm in the clear.

I would say the main influences of the game are Danganronpa, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, 999, and Denpa Teki na Kanojo, but some Phoenix Wright-ish jokes might've snuck in there.

— LockedOn.

So 999ish investigation's influences from Danganronpa, sarcastic humour...

You sold me. Ill definitely be giving this a shot.

I have played the demo. Music is very good and really supports the tension well. 

Graphically it's great too. Introduction screens, the choice screen, the environments and the 'action' scene with the ambulance are all impressive.

Movements were sometimes a bit confusing (not a big problem) and it's good that you included a map.

The art style of the characters is not my taste, but I guess others might like it.

I didn't know about Cheetah3D. I use Daz Studio for my novel. I also have 3D environments with multiple camera angles, except that you can't walk around yourself, it's just story driven. I don't have a demo yet. It will take a few more months before I feel that I have enough content for making one, but you can get an idea already about what I am doing here https://baetendirk.wixsite.com/7thgoddess I will mention your game on the Daz forum where we have a support thread for visual novels. It's always nice to see people use 3D rendered environments.

Edited by DirkB

5 hours ago, DirkB said:

I have played the demo. Music is very good and really supports the tension well. 

Graphically it's great too. Introduction screens, the choice screen, the environments and the 'action' scene with the ambulance are all impressive.

Movements were sometimes a bit confusing (not a big problem) and it's good that you included a map.

The art style of the characters is not my taste, but I guess others might like it.

I didn't know about Cheetah3D. I use Daz Studio for my novel. I also have 3D environments with multiple camera angles, except that you can't walk around yourself, it's just story driven. I don't have a demo yet. It will take a few more months before I feel that I have enough content for making one, but you can get an idea already about what I am doing here https://baetendirk.wixsite.com/7thgoddess I will mention your game on the Daz forum where we have a support thread for visual novels. It's always nice to see people use 3D rendered environments.

Thanks! Yeah, sometimes the limited angles work against the game. Even with the map, sometimes my playtesters were getting lost. However, they aren't very large environments, so that helps, I think. Good to know, though. The art style has been a bit divisive I've found — some people really like it, some people don't like it at all. But I'd rather that than have it be stuck somewhere in the "bland zone".

Your project looks interesting — I will follow your progress on the blog you linked to. And thanks for the shout-out. :)

— LockedOn.

The artsyle reminds me a lot of Gorillas (Band) art style, also, it's a Mystery VN I'm sold (Especially if it's Multiple Route Mystery game, then you can have my soul...)

16 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

The artsyle reminds me a lot of Gorillas (Band) art style, also, it's a Mystery VN I'm sold (Especially if it's Multiple Route Mystery game, then you can have my soul...)

Thanks! — Jamie Hewlett is one of my favorite artists. Yes, it IS a Multiple Route mystery game. You can deposit your soul at the nearest Soul Deposit station, which can be summoned by contacting your local demon overlord. :)

— LockedOn.

4 hours ago, LockedOn said:

Thanks! — Jamie Hewlett is one of my favorite artists. Yes, it IS a Multiple Route mystery game. You can deposit your soul at the nearest Soul Deposit station, which can be summoned by contacting your local demon overlord. :)

— LockedOn.

You have my soul mate, you have it, when I have the time I will contanct uncle sam(tan) so we can finish the deal.