Sol Press announces 'Newton and the Apple Tree'

Freestyle80

I did heard some talk in regard of this, and was quite surprised hearing that it will be localized as well. Good luck to the Sol Press there, and hope that the staff was already prepare the Prefundia if they want to do another Kickstarter here like Sakusakura.

PS - The opening sing was remind me if Sharnoth opening because it had accordion, and perhaps it could be interesting if Liar Soft have a VN with alternative Isaac Newton as well - it's their forte after all.

22 hours ago, Veshurik said:

Oh my gosh, the company really talking with us? And be honest with us?

What?! Is it a miracle? Usually I can't even dream for such open conversation with Sekai or Mangagamer, so, THANKS!!!

The hope is shining not so far :)

GoldenUntidyCrayfish-small.gif

We try to be as open as possible. If you ever have questions just let us know. There are obviously some things we're not allowed to talk about (and some things we want to reveal at a certain time), but in general, our goal is to be pretty open.

2 minutes ago, Freestyle80 said:

lol this is basically pledged within 2 days, that was fast

I heard they are working with MiKandi? Arent they the one with the horrible Libra release? um

They are working with MiKandi for PR purposes. MiKandi is in no way connected to the TL.

And it works. There's a bunch of people on Kickstarter that came specifically from Libra.

1 hour ago, Freestyle80 said:

I heard they are working with MiKandi? Arent they the one with the horrible Libra release? um

On the contrary to someone like MoeNovel or Hikari, they actively acknowledged the failure so it's not like their future second release won't be better either way, gosh.

8 hours ago, Xeviax said:

We were definitely shocked when the 2nd item pledged was a $1500 package! Everything's been going by so fast, we're absolutely stunned haha.

:pyaa:

Overall, I'm very impressed with how well you're managing this project. This is the first Kickstarter that I've felt compelled to back; not only for the way you've gone about it, but for my interest in the game itself. I like the idea of Isaac Newton re-imagined as a conceited, air-headed loli, and the art is nice too! Best of luck to you guys on completing this! :sachi:

Sol Press have publicised a playthrough of the Demo on their Youtube channel.
https://youtu.be/crCJ63b9EvA

I am glad to say that it seems to meet my standards. If this is the quality I am to expect for the rest of the translation then I am satisfied.
I'll probably read the whole thing once it comes out properly, but for now that's my impression of the first five minutes.

EDIT: Also, Whoo-hoo, the release is already guaranteed, as it has been fully funded!

On 12/2/2017 at 4:02 AM, Freestyle80 said:

I heard they are working with MiKandi? Arent they the one with the horrible Libra release? um:michiru:

After they got flak for their translation work on Sakura Sakura, they went and got some experienced and skilled translators to work on the game instead.  I presume they will continue to do good work in that regard.

Besides which, MiKandi is currently working on a new translation for Libra anyway.

1 minute ago, Riku said:

Am I the only one bothered by the Syuji (Shuuji) thing? Same for Syuichiro (Shuuichirou)?

Other than that, already played it, so not gonna fund it. Thought I must say the LNs (mainly Lavi after, considering her end) interest me.

I see that you're in Japan! The Japan tier has some special items such as a signed shikishi, and it will also receive the digital copies of the light novels if the goals are met!

2 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

Then you might wanna back at a cheap tier just to get access to BackerKit.  I would not assume those bonuses will ever be generally available.

I have to say, most of the staff is currently looking forward to the Newton fidget spinner haha. 

I skipped to a random point early on in the (impressively long) youtube link, and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed, though unsurprised. The script reads fairly poorly, both in terms of line editing and copy editing. The latter is mostly an issue of punctuation: seriously, who actually thinks it's okay to leave three exclamation points on a single sentence, let alone an ellipsis followed by three exclamation points, or to end a line with "!?!"? Moreover, those aren't one-offs for particularly emotional moments; standard, somewhat angry lines seem to merit a steaming pile of punctuation. I shudder to think of how many exclamation points they're going to toss on actually emotionally impactful lines. This script badly needs to be depunctuated (except for the lines where they just plain forgot the punctuation, like "It happened there, when I walked towards the ticket gate of an almost deserted station square"). Aside from that, just looking at a hundred lines or so showed off multiple errors, like "for goodness's [sic] sake", or "Am [sic] unexpectedly cool and intellectual voice came from behind the Groucho glasses.", or the lovely comma splice plus incorrectly-hyphenated compound noun, "There wasn't the slightest smile on Groucho-glasses girl's face, it wasn't even a straight face."

That said, the clunky line editing is a much bigger problem for me than the missed copy editing issues, and is sadly an even less surprising problem. I guess quality writing will continue to be the province of MangaGamer, and occasionally (but definitely not predictably) JAST and Sekai Project. I have this gut feeling it ought to be a lot easier and cheaper to find people who actually know how to write solid English prose than people who can accurately (if stiltedly) translate Japanese, but the level of work I see everywhere in VN translations is starting to convince me otherwise, and unfortunately, from what I see in the youtube demo for this game, this is looking to be a cut below what I've come to expect even from JAST or SP on their bad days. Line to line flow is nearly nonexistent, and awkward phrasing is the rule, not the exception.

Bottom line: dropping my pledge, since I can't see myself actually sticking with reading it if this is the level of quality I can expect from the script. Shame, since I heard good things about the game.

Edited by Fred the Barber

Actually can't do anything. Just remembered that I can't use my French Credit Card anymore, and my Japanese card is only a cash card, so Convinience Store Payment only.

Removed the spoilerish comment. Hope the goals will be reached, even if I can't read them.