[SOLVED] Subarashiki Hibi crash (Wonderful Everyday) - BGI.exe has stopped working

TomokoKuroki

'sup! So, I'm having a problem with the Buriko General Interpreter. It's crashing, so I cannot progress with the game. I'm using the International/English version on Windows 7 32-bit.
I just started Down The Rabbit Hole II and it's my first time playing. When Yuki is talking to Takuji, his monologue comes up and he says something about the sunflowers. Then I immediately get a crash. Apparently, problems with this engine can mean that there are codec issues, but I reinstalled K-Lite (I didn't even know what I had before, maybe CCCP) and nothing happened. Are my game files corrupt? Do I have to check for errors/reinstall? Goddamn -_-

Edited by TomokoKuroki

• TomokoKuroki changed the title to Subarashiki Hibi crash (Wonderful Everyday) - BGI.exe has stopped working
7 hours ago, TomokoKuroki said:

When Yuki is talking to Takuji, his monologue comes up and he says something about the sunflowers.

It's literally the first scene in this chapter, right?

I have an impression that you somehow messed up with installing the 18+ patch. The best idea would be to try reinstalling the game and applying the patch again. And, just in case, turn off the updates for the game in steam. And don't check for mistakes/etc after you applied the patch, cause it will be overwritten.

By the way, did you install the patch before or after you played Down the rabbit hole I? Note that there may be some problems with compatibility of save files between versions.

I think it's the opening. Not sure. I don't know if a movie plays because I've never had SubaHibi before, but it's right at the "sunflower hills" scene. I'm going to reinstall later, if it doesn't work, it's a codec problem. I play old games sometimes and I have an old version of Quicktime and that could be the reason. I dunno.

If I recall correctly I did install a codec pack right when I configured Windows - I believe it was CCCP, but I didn't find anything on my computer, so I installed it again, and then I got K-Lite just in case, but I realised there could be a conflict, so I uninstalled everything, and now I only have K-Lite. I even messed with the settings so it would use ffdshow instead of LAV, but it didn't fix anything.

The game didn't crash at the other opening movie, in Down The Rabbit Hole I *shrug*

Maybe a file got corrupted somewhere or the 18+ patch messed up with the files somehow. I installed the patch before I started playing the game, by the way.

I'll reinstall and report back. Thanks everyone.

Edited by TomokoKuroki

15 minutes ago, TomokoKuroki said:

I believe it was CCCP, but I didn't find anything on my computer, so I installed it again, and then I got K-Lite just in case, but I realised there could be a conflict, so I uninstalled everything, and now I only have K-Lite.

Actually, I had some problems with opening movies in VNs when I used K-Lite which disappeared when I switched to CCCP, but it was mostly with subtitles in fan-translated patches, so I doubt that's the problem in your case.

Edit. And you shouldn't be able to install both at the same time. I think, the installers usually check that you don't have any other video-codec installed and require you to delete it in the other case.

Edited by Dreamysyu

EDIT: I reinstalled the game and the problem persisted, so I started searching for a solution. I found the program "InstalledCodec" and managed to disable a few of them. I disabled all the Nero codecs and some Bandisoft ones which I have no clue as how they ended on my PC.

The game works now. It wasn't an installation issue, and it did crash right when the opening movie tried to load.

I'm 100% sure the Nero codecs are fucked up. In this FAQ they tell you to disable NeAudio.ax, but that didn't work, so I took the plunge and turned them all off, as I don't think I'll need them, unless I run into something later, but that's unlikely.

Hopefully my thread will be useful to other people, not just for readers of SubaHibi but others who play VNs using the same engine.

Thanks everyone for trying to help! I wasted time reinstalling the game and checking for corruption, but whatever. :amane:

Edited by TomokoKuroki

• TomokoKuroki changed the title to [SOLVED] Subarashiki Hibi crash (Wonderful Everyday) - BGI.exe has stopped working