Want something with a good plot (Not the jiggly kind)

masterofbob69

First of all, I aware that a "good plot" is subjective but ehh, whatever. 

Second of all, by "good plot" I want a VN that has something akin to a mature plot and deals with darker themes. It doesn't necessarily have to be "mature" but I enjoy well-written characters that develop and progress throughout the story. 

Last of all, here's my vndb so you can check out what I have already read and see my totally not shit taste:

https://vndb.org/u135371/list

Anyways, thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have these VNS but haven't added them to my VNDB yet (mainly because I haven't technically played them yet):

Comyu

Cross Channel

Ever17

Fault Milestone

Kira Kira

Majikoi S

Shuffle

Yume Miru Kusuri

House of Fata Morgana

If my Heart had Wings

Edited by masterofbob69

So, no Umineko no Naku Koro ni? That is, by far, my first recommendation for you since you want a good plot with well developed characters. Also check Higurashi, from the same series (although they have almost zero connections except for easter eggs). There is a FuwaReview about the game that you should read, and the second/last part is coming to Steam on the 17th. Also, it takes at least 50 hours or more to read everything.

If you llike Ever17, you should read the other games of the Infinite Series (Never7 and Remember11), as well as the Zero Escape series (999, VLR and ZTD). The latter series is on Steam!

You should also read Swan Song for a very serious and dark story.

There are more, but people will probably recommend them. From your list, you really should read House in Fata Morgana (or at least die of pleasure listening to its tracks) and  Ever17.

9 minutes ago, Silvz said:

So, no Umineko no Naku Koro ni? That is, by far, my first recommendation for you since you want a good plot with well developed characters. Also check Higurashi, from the same series (although they have almost zero connections except for easter eggs). There is a FuwaReview about the game that you should read, and the second/last part is coming to Steam on the 17th. Also, it takes at least 50 hours or more to read everything.

If you llike Ever17, you should read the other games of the Infinite Series (Never7 and Remember11), as well as the Zero Escape series (999, VLR and ZTD). The latter series is on Steam!

You should also read Swan Song for a very serious and dark story.

There are more, but people will probably recommend them. From your list, you really should read House in Fata Morgana (or at least die of pleasure listening to its tracks) and  Ever17.

I'll try out Umineko once the answers arc get released (which I think is later this month IIRC). I'll pick it up for sure because it's on of the VNs people enjoy a lot. Haven't played Ever17 or House of Fata Morgana yet so I'll play those too when I get the time, it's just I've been putting them off because of other things. 

6 minutes ago, masterofbob69 said:

I'll try out Umineko once the answers arc get released (which I think is later this month IIRC). I'll pick it up for sure because it's on of the VNs people enjoy a lot. Haven't played Ever17 or House of Fata Morgana yet so I'll play those too when I get the time, it's just I've been putting them off because of other things. 

Yes, it will be released in November 17th. But believe me, you don't need to wait, as you probably won't finish the question arcs before it. Just for the sake of curiosity, Umineko was my first VN and I read it from April to October (2014 I guess), so good luck :D

1 minute ago, Silvz said:

Yes, it will be released in November 17th. But believe me, you don't need to wait, as you probably won't finish the question arcs before it. Just for the sake of curiosity, Umineko was my first VN and I read it from April to October (2014 I guess), so good luck :D

That's a long time lol. Though I can't really say anything because it took me about the same time finish Grisaia (January to July). 

Just now, masterofbob69 said:

That's a long time lol. Though I can't really say anything because it took me about the same time finish Grisaia (January to July). 

It was my first time ever, I really wanted to know how the anime ended. I was also studying to enter college etc, but yeah, I read VNs way faster now.

forgot to mention, there are two patchs available (different ones) for Umineko which add voices and other PS3 assets, such as backgrounds andcharacter sprites. Since the original art is very... doujin... ish, you should probably consider them.

https://github.com/07th-mod (I believe it is not considered piracy since it requires the original game to patch, but if it is, I apologize)

Just now, Silvz said:

It was my first time ever, I really wanted to know how the anime ended. I was also studying to enter college etc, but yeah, I read VNs way faster now.

forgot to mention, there are two patchs available (different ones) for Umineko which add voices and other PS3 assets, such as backgrounds andcharacter sprites. Since the original art is very... doujin... ish, you should probably consider them.

https://github.com/07th-mod (I believe it is not considered piracy since it requires the original game to patch, but if it is, I apologize)

Grisiaia was my "first" VN too, so I can see where you're coming from. Reading VNs for the first time (especially big ones) can be daunting. I remember reading Grisaia on and off because I had exams during those periods. 

Also, thanks for the patch. I'll use them whenever I get Umineko. 

• Maybe try a game from the Steampunk series, assuming you're up for that kind of atmosphere. Gahkthun is the only one with an official release and I really enjoyed it, but Inganock is a better game (with a worse translation...).
  • Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are both probably good choices.
  • Symphonic Rain might be a surprisingly good choice, though it starts off a little slow, and some of the initial routes aren't the greatest.
  • Shadows of Pygmalion is underrated and would probably be a good fit for the request here.
  • People don't talk about Demonbane much, but I think that's mostly since the game and the TL are both pretty old by now. Probably also a good fit, though. Demonbane is maybe the only VN I've played which I would describe as campy, but in spite of that, it has its fair share of dark themes as well.

7 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:
  • Maybe try a game from the Steampunk series, assuming you're up for that kind of atmosphere. Gahkthun is the only one with an official release and I really enjoyed it, but Inganock is a better game (with a worse translation...).
  • Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are both probably good choices.
  • Symphonic Rain might be a surprisingly good choice, though it starts off a little slow, and some of the initial routes aren't the greatest.
  • Shadows of Pygmalion is underrated and would probably be a good fit for the request here.
  • People don't talk about Demonbane much, but I think that's mostly since the game and the TL are both pretty old by now. Probably also a good fit, though. Demonbane is maybe the only VN I've played which I would describe as campy, but in spite of that, it has its fair share of dark themes as well.

Thanks. I'll try those out eventually, though I already have watched the Steins;gate anime, so I probably won't read the VN. 

6 minutes ago, masterofbob69 said:

Thanks. I'll try those out eventually, though I already have watched the Steins;gate anime, so I probably won't read the VN. 

Note that Steins;Gate 0 is a completely separate story, and just as good as the original, IMO. Also, although I watched the anime first as well, when I finally talked myself into playing the VN it turned out to be well worth it: the material in the VN that they left out of the anime is really good stuff.

Chaos Head is a pretty mature VN with a good plot. A lot people don't like Takumi but he looks more like a human being that more VN. I like how MC try to undertand who he is, understand the reality of the world he lives in no family, even though all the gruesome murders happening around him, his "friends" giving up on him... Forgetting him... Willing to kill him...

It was a good experience, I loved it.

7 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Note that Steins;Gate 0 is a completely separate story, and just as good as the original, IMO. Also, although I watched the anime first as well, when I finally talked myself into playing the VN it turned out to be well worth it: the material in the VN that they left out of the anime is really good stuff.

I might check, though tbh I didn't really enjoy the S;G anime much, so I'll put those two VNs on lower priority. 

3 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

Chaos Head is a pretty mature VN with a good plot. A lot people don't like Takumi but he looks more like a human being that more VN. I like how MC try to undertand who he is, understand the reality of the world he lives in no family, even though all the gruesome murders happening around him, his "friends" giving up on him... Forgetting him... Willing to kill him...

It was a good experience, I loved it.

I'll consider this too. Thanks. 

Reccomendations in bold~

Try Tsukihime dark intense story from the creators of fate.

Ayakashibito, good chuuni you will probably like it if you enjoyed tokyo babel.

G-Senjou no Maou dark battle of wits. Not as violent as KnS but one of the greatest stories ever.

Umineko Another murdery, mystery classic with masterful story telling. If you like this go on to play Rose Gun Days  also made by 07th expansion

Danganronpa. Made by the team that made 999, it is dark, it is wrong, it is evil. You will despair...... But you will goddamn love it. (has both game play and story, it is incredibly fun and the story is really good)

Since you apparently about to try Ever17, then I would recommend you to check both of I/O and Root Double. Also apparently you interested with both of Cross Channel and Yume Miru Kusuri, so I would suggest you to try Rewrite there. For more recommendation, I think Higurashi could be good for you considering that it's the same series as Umineko. You could try Cartagra as well considering that it was has same setting as Kara no Shoujo duology. Hope my recommendations here will be helpful to you.

9 hours ago, Clephas said:

Look at my top fifty and move down from there. https://vndb.org/u10917/

Crap, that's a lot of VN! I definitely check them out. Though idk if I have the time to play ALL of those lol. 

9 hours ago, Akshay said:

Reccomendations in bold~

Try Tsukihime dark intense story from the creators of fate.

Ayakashibito, good chuuni you will probably like it if you enjoyed tokyo babel.

G-Senjou no Maou dark battle of wits. Not as violent as KnS but one of the greatest stories ever.

Umineko Another murdery, mystery classic with masterful story telling. If you like this go on to play Rose Gun Days  also made by 07th expansion

Danganronpa. Made by the team that made 999, it is dark, it is wrong, it is evil. You will despair...... But you will goddamn love it. (has both game play and story, it is incredibly fun and the story is really good)

Thanks! I check those out some time. I've already watched the dangonronpa anime, so I'll put that lower priority than the others (though how does the VN compare to the anime?).

8 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Since you apparently about to try Ever17, then I would recommend you to check both of I/O and Root Double. Also apparently you interested with both of Cross Channel and Yume Miru Kusuri, so I would suggest you to try Rewrite there. For more recommendation, I think Higurashi could be good for you considering that it's the same series as Umineko. You could try Cartagra as well considering that it was has same setting as Kara no Shoujo duology. Hope my recommendations here will be helpful to you.

I've been meaning to play Cartagra and I/O so I'll play those for sure, since I have another recommendation for them. I'll also try out your other recommendations. 

1 hour ago, masterofbob69 said:

Thanks! I check those out some time. I've already watched the dangonronpa anime, so I'll put that lower priority than the others (though how does the VN compare to the anime?).

Honestly, the anime version of the first game has everything you need to know. Although it is a good experience in general, it is not worth it to play the game already knowing everything that happened.

But here it comes the problem with Danganronpa: The first anime is the same as the first game. However, the second/third anime (which aired at the same time) are completely new stories that close the Hope Academy plot. Because of that, you HAVE to have read the second game.

It works something like this:

Light Novel > Danganronpa 1/Anime > Danganronpa 2 > New anime (before and after)

And there is also the spin off that happens between DR1 and DR2.

And now there is a third game with brand new story. Only Monokuma was kept.

18 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Honestly, the anime version of the first game has everything you need to know. Although it is a good experience in general, it is not worth it to play the game already knowing everything that happened.

But here it comes the problem with Danganronpa: The first anime is the same as the first game. However, the second/third anime (which aired at the same time) are completely new stories that close the Hope Academy plot. Because of that, you HAVE to have read the second game.

It works something like this:

Light Novel > Danganronpa 1/Anime > Danganronpa 2 > New anime (before and after)

And there is also the spin off that happens between DR1 and DR2.

And now there is a third game with brand new story. Only Monokuma was kept.

Yeah, from what I've understand, the Danganronpa timeline is hella confusing at times. 

4 hours ago, Ranzo said:

I'd definitely recommend that you play Enigma I finished it not too long ago and I really enjoyed it

It has a really unique setting and it's got a lot of mature themes to it

I loved Enigma a lot. Really wished it was voiced though.

It would have impacted this VN a lot/