Legends of Galactic Hero's

Akshay

I have heard so,so much about this. Enough that I wanted to watch it.  There are anime in season forms as well as movie totalling to 100+ episodes. SO it is a major time investment.

To people who have watched it, is it really that good? What is the viewing chronology? How is the pacing?

A few sentences on what you thought made it good (or bad?) would be appreciated. 

No spoilers please (even under spoiler tags, because I seem to have a disease where I just look under them anyway.)

I only ever watched the main series, because that is where the meat of things is, but yes, it really is that good. 

Understand, the story covers over a half decade of in-story time (probably longer), a lot of the arcs are something like ten episodes long... 

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a story of politics, intrigue, heroism, war, and ideology, with events ranging from brilliant military stratagems and Machiavellian plots to philosophical discussions about the nature of government and society.  It shows both the positives and negatives of both sides of the story (it starts out with Yang Wenli and Reinhardt Von Lohengramm as the protagonists, though things become a bit more varied late in the series), showing how an authoritarian regime can both bring horrid atrocities and glorious advancement and how even a democracy built on good intentions can be rotted from within by populism and military adventuring. 

19 hours ago, Akshay said:

What is the viewing chronology? 

Here is the correct viewing order:

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Waga Yuku wa Hoshi no Taikai
Prologue Movie. Introduces main characters and setting. After watching this, you will know if you want to spend the next weeks watching 110 episodes of this stuff.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Aratanaru Tatakai no Overture
This movie is a compilation of the first four episodes of the series. I recommend watching this instead of the first four episodes since it's better in every regard, better animation and new scenes make for a quite cinematic viewing experience.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (110 episodes OVA)
You can skip the first four episodes if you watched Overture, but they are not completely redundant since there are some scenes which were not included in the movie.
The first season (first 26 episodes) is by far the best, the second season is still good (till episode 52) but I was honestly disappointed by the rest. Your mileage may vary. However, it's still a masterpiece and a must watch for every fan of Japanese animation.

Optional: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu Gaiden
Two seasons of side stories taking place chronological before even the first movie. You can watch the different arcs in any order you want, but I highly recommend you watch the majority of them during the first 26 episodes of the main series. It's the point in the series where these side stories are the most relevant and they might not get to you as much emotionally if you watch them much later or after you finished the main series.

On 4/11/2017 at 1:21 PM, Akshay said:

I have heard so,so much about this. Enough that I wanted to watch it.  There are anime in season forms as well as movie totalling to 100+ episodes. SO it is a major time investment.

To people who have watched it, is it really that good? What is the viewing chronology? How is the pacing?

A few sentences on what you thought made it good (or bad?) would be appreciated. 

No spoilers please (even under spoiler tags, because I seem to have a disease where I just look under them anyway.)

Definitely not.

One of the most stupidely pretentius anime out there.