Himouto Umaru-chan "Stole" Otome Domain's UI

Huang Ling Yin

The recently aired 3rd episode of Himouto Umaru-chan's 2nd season has attracted the attention of visual novel developer Palette Qualia (knowing for creating Otome Domain) due to it apparatelly stealing their eroge's UI with the concept of parody apparately being lost on the aggravated developer

the UI from Otome Domain
iM6iKnJ.jpg
RksmuCz.jpg

The visual novel scene from Himouto Umaru-chan’s 2nd season:
4y6r6u3.jpg
dYFbuAQ.jpg

The official Twitter account for Palette Qualia released a tweet on this matter:
xz5cDgB.jpg
“A game UI screen has recently made an appearance in a currently airing anime work and we have received an inquiry that the game UI of our work “Otome Domain” bears an extreme resemblance to the one in the anime; currently, we are trying to verify the situation with the associated company and the matter is currently under investigation.”

Despite the grim circumstances, many are suspecting nothing to happen considering the series has been making numerous parodies ever since its first season…

Those online are naturally on both sides of the fence:

“Ehh, I see where they’re coming from, but I don’t think they’re in the right here. Pretty sure this is in the clear.”

“Its clearly a parody, I doubt they can do much about it since I would assume parodying something is legal in Japan.”

“The material is far too similar for this to be parody.”

“It seems Umaru is ruined now huh?”

“It’s a parody.”

“I thought I saw this somewhere before. As expected, this is plagiarism.”

“The person who stole this is evil!”

“It really does look similar.”

“It looks similar, or should I say, they’re identical!”

“Umaru-chan ripped it off. How sad.”

Sauce

21 hours ago, Beichuuka said:

I'm not sure what he's agreeing with because I didn't say I didn't care.

Quite obviously:

On 10/30/2017 at 2:50 PM, Beichuuka said:

Wait, this isn't even a VN, but a scene in an anime, right?

People can't seriously be getting worked up about this.

What I said about not caring didn't necessarily mean I implied that you didn't care as well xD ...

Parody should reference the material, an easy example would be when references are made with a small *beep* censor in other anime or WcDonalds/Mcbonalds BragonDall ect...

In the first place it was parodying VNs not Otome*domain so why steal Otome*Domain's art? They could have just as easily come up with some random UI screen. If the parody had something to do specifically with Otome*domain then I would be more likely to forgive them but this is a bit too much?

On 11/1/2017 at 9:34 AM, iamnoob said:

In the first place it was parodying VNs not Otome*domain so why steal Otome*Domain's art? They could have just as easily come up with some random UI screen. If the parody had something to do specifically with Otome*domain then I would be more likely to forgive them but this is a bit too much?

Couldn't it have been made with the intent to parody Otome*Domain though? It doesn't have to state the name outright. Besides, it's not like they're losing money over this.

For all I know, Palette Qualia might just be taking advantage of the situation and trying to generate conversation over the game as a form of marketing.