About donkan protagonists

PapaRabbi

Are there any school life VNs (in English) with a competent protagonist? I'm in the middle of reading Ayakashibito for the first time (and it's great), but at the moment I'm really in the mood for a simple school life VN, but all of the protagonists from school life VNs that I've read were entirely oblivious to the feelings of the heroines until the penultimate moment. Are there any translated school life VNs where the protagonist is actually romantically competent?

8 minutes ago, Akshay said:

Romantically competent...

Im reading into this as not dense-as-a-rock

Majikoi, Grisaia, Gahkthun of the golden lightning, Yume Miru Kusuri

Ourai no Gahkthun is the only one of those that I haven't read, but it has been on my list for some time so that's good.

1 minute ago, PapaRabbi said:

Ourai no Gahkthun is the only one of those that I haven't read, but it has been on my list for some time so that's good.

For some reason a lot of Jap media overuse the super dense protagonist trope, where the girl can lie down on you naked , and the protagonist still won't get that she likes him. It's one of the most overused tropes I've seen

Just now, Akshay said:

For some reason a lot of Jap media overuse the super dense protagonist trope, where the girl can lie down on you naked , and the protagonist still won't get that she likes him. It's one of the most overused tropes I've seen

If it were specifically aimed at younger teens I might be able to accept it, but as a grown ass man it's just annoying tbh. A protagonist that knows what he's doing would resonate with me so much more.

Yuuji in Grisaia is a bit eccentric and autistic at times. But he tries to be understanding in his own way, and is very methodical in his actions and thinking. When he finds out what is ailing his love interest though, or what he has to do, nothing will stop him. And I do mean NOTHING.

As for the recommendation, well it's quite hard to find to be honest seeing that usually it's very subjective if we talk about MC here. As for the demographic, I think even if the target was adult there's a chance that the buyer was just at 18, and if we knew it meant that the buyer just passing the teenager phase and about to enter adulthood. So they probably would be resonate with the dense MC that was displayed in their VN, and I think VN demographic would be the people who just touched 18 and want to see sex. Just my opinion here, so I might be wrong.

Back to the recommendation, as for the VNs concerned here I think I should recommend you something like Yumina the Ethereal and Yoake here seeing that the MC was not as dense as it looks, or is that what I think is. If you want more, then I think 11eyes would be a good choice as well. By the way, I knew that both of Yumina and 11eyes did had many battle but from what I saw it also mostly had some school life so I think it's quite fitting. Hope my recommendation here would be help.

12 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

As for the recommendation, well it's quite hard to find to be honest seeing that usually it's very subjective if we talk about MC here. As for the demographic, I think even if the target was adult there's a chance that the buyer was just at 18, and if we knew it meant that the buyer just passing the teenager phase and about to enter adulthood. So they probably would be resonate with the dense MC that was displayed in their VN, and I think VN demographic would be the people who just touched 18 and want to see sex. Just my opinion here, so I might be wrong.

Back to the recommendation, as for the VNs concerned here I think I should recommend you something like Yumina the Ethereal and Yoake here seeing that the MC was not as dense as it looks, or is that what I think is. If you want more, then I think 11eyes would be a good choice as well. By the way, I knew that both of Yumina and 11eyes did had many battle but from what I saw it also mostly had some school life so I think it's quite fitting. Hope my recommendation here would be help.

Yoake is another VN that has been on my list for a while but I never had much motivation to actually read it, but if it has a decent protagonist I'd definitely be more interested.

1 hour ago, r0xm2n said:

Yuuji in Grisaia is a bit eccentric and autistic at times. But he tries to be understanding in his own way, and is very methodical in his actions and thinking. When he finds out what is ailing his love interest though, or what he has to do, nothing will stop him. And I do mean NOTHING.

It says that he's proactive, but he's still a hell of a donkan when it comes to romance.

10 minutes ago, Funnerific said:

It says that he's proactive, but he's still a hell of a donkan when it comes to romance.

Ehhh, I dunno. He IS dense in some ways but that's to be expected with his background. With that said I think that what it boils down to is less that he doesn't realize and more that he doesn't really know what to think of it, though once he does figure it out and takes action, absolutely nothing will get in his way. All in all, I actually really liked the way that they handled it.

Argh, it's especially hard to recommend things when my memory fails me so.

For instance, the protagonist in Edelweiss stands out due to certain traits, but does that mean he isn't a protagonist of that sort? I honestly can't remember. What I can guarantee is that he is proactive once the actual routes start.

I could probably recommend Ikkoi, but, uh, it may be the case that you won't like it. A lot of people seem not to. And honestly, I'm not sure if he is donkan, or if it depends on the route, or what.

I was going to go ahead and say A Profile, but you seem to have read it already.

5 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Argh, it's especially hard to recommend things when my memory fails me so.

For instance, the protagonist in Edelweiss stands out due to certain traits, but does that mean he isn't a protagonist of that sort? I honestly can't remember. What I can guarantee is that he is proactive once the actual routes start.

I could probably recommend Ikkoi, but, uh, it may be the case that you won't like it. A lot of people seem not to. And honestly, I'm not sure if he is donkan, or if it depends on the route, or what.

I was going to go ahead and say A Profile, but you seem to have read it already.

Edelweiss has been recommended to me before, but there's something about the art style that feels a little uncomfortable for me. Is the story particularly good? That might motivate me to read it. And I have read Ikikoi, but it was a long while ago. All I remember is that Tsumugu was the only character I liked lol

13 hours ago, PapaRabbi said:

Edelweiss has been recommended to me before, but there's something about the art style that feels a little uncomfortable for me. Is the story particularly good? That might motivate me to read it. And I have read Ikikoi, but it was a long while ago. All I remember is that Tsumugu was the only character I liked lol

Edelweiss has a couple of good points and a couple of bad points.

It definitely seems amateurish. It seems like the common route was written first and then the choices were added after, because there are a few occasions when what happens within the context of a choice made immediately before gets "forgotten" or repeated the next day. It's like they try to solve major plotpoints within a choice, but they can't, since that'd ruin the common route structure. Furthermore, a lot of people that weren't me seemed to have difficulty getting into it, or even liking it at all.

On the other hand, I really think it's got a lot of unique things about it. It does the "having a cast of male friends" right. It has an interesting premise. Every route goes in a different direction, all of them bonkers. And I found it hilariously funny, though that's subjective. Also, the protagonist stood out to me for the weirdest reason.

I've tried reading Ikikoi several times and end up quitting early on into the common route. It's just so unbearable.

As for actual recommendations.. I want to recommend the Da Capo trilogy as all three protagonists can be fairly perceptive and proactive, but I'm not sure if I can in good conscience as it can depend a lot on the individual routes.

I really liked Kira Kira and the protagonist Shikanosuke is fairly perceptive a lot of the time, even despite any attemps to show otherwise.

Rin, the protagonist of Shuffle fits the criteria though the VN itself is really hit or miss depending on the person.

Aaand.. I think that may be it that I can think of right now.