Dies Irae down, recommendations needed

Mugi

Finally broke down and finished it, and now i'm ready for a VN binge. The best thing would be something I haven't heard of yet, and I haven't been keeping up with any TL's for the past couple years or so, so I may have missed quite a few things. In terms of what else i'm looking for, no utsuge. It can get sad or depressing at times, but i'd prefer a happy ending if possible :notlikemiya:. Also a conclusive ending, some of these DI routes have left me craving something with endings that feel complete, having an epilogue expanding on said ending (or a fandisk that's also translated) would be even better. The longer the better, preferably one that's 30-50 hours or so. Going to be scrolling through VNDB in the meantime :thumbsup:

Edited by Mugi

Recommendations in bold~

You just finished Dies Irae (and enjoyed it). A really good chuuni/fantasies. You haven't rated them though so it is a bit hard to recommend for you.

Nonetheless (from your VNDB)

Check out Type-Moon's works. Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, continue with the franchise if you like them.  (you finished comyu which is also an urban fantasy)

You rated Kara No Shoujo highly and you finished G-senjou. While not strictly overly similar to the second one, check out Kara No Shoujo 2.It starts a bit weak, but gets very interesting very fast.

Combining Murder-Mystery and Fantasy, you would like  works by 07th expansion like Umineko, Higurashi and Rose Gun Days.

You finished Dengeki Stryker and Deardrops. You haven't rated it so I don't know if you liked it, but if you enjoyed them check out KiraKira. It has the same kind of wacky humor, and is very fun to read.

Another lesser known title that I checked out recently is Enigma. It deals with pretty depressing themes, and is unvoiced but it also deals with deep-rooted character issues. Seeing as you finished grisaia, this may be worth checking out.

All of these titles are significantly long 30+ hrs, while some like Fate can be 60+ hrs depending on your reading speed. I am making the assumption that if its not on your VNDB, than you haven't read it.

Edit: Most type moon endings are bittersweet at best, and while not happy, are at least somewhat complete.  One route in KiraKira is genuinely depressing. You should be fine with the rest. Kara No shoujo 2 I'm assuming you can deal with seing as you read 1

Edited by Akshay

People seems to like the Muv-Luv Trilogy a lot, it might be what you're looking for, Libra of The Vampire Princess also seems pretty long, but, I've heard some people complaning that it's to repetitive, if you liked the Mystery aspect of Dies Irae you should try reading other games from the same series, like Paradise Lost and Kajimura Kamui, of course if you know japanese (You can also use a translator like VNR), you could also try the Infinity Series and Zero Escape Series for some good Mystery.   

32 minutes ago, Akshay said:

Garbage. It is sooooo bad

Is it that bad? I've never read (and I'm not reading any time soon, since I want to start Lamento after I finish Otomaid Cafe) Also I forgot to mention Lamento, seems to be pretty big and seems to have a lot of the fantasy aspect presented in visual novels like Fate.

1 hour ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Is it that bad? I've never read (and I'm not reading any time soon, since I want to start Lamento after I finish Otomaid Cafe) Also I forgot to mention Lamento, seems to be pretty big and seems to have a lot of the fantasy aspect presented in visual novels like Fate.

Yes. Full of all kinds of cringe. Sure the translation wasn't the best, but i cant see it being good, even with the worlds best translator. Garbage two dimensional characters, 2-bit plot.

The only, and I mean only reason you should even touch this VN is if you have a pee fetish.

It's a peeroge

1 minute ago, Akshay said:

Yes. Full of all kinds of cringe. Sure the translation wasn't the best, but i cant see it being good, even with the worlds best translator. Garbage two dimensional characters, 2-bit plot.

The only, and I mean only reason you should even touch this VN is if you have a pee fetish.

It's a peeroge

While I'm open to all types of Kinky shit, it doesn't mean I exactly feel the Horn's with this type of Kinky shit xoD , and surely I don't want to read a 50> VN just to see pee...

4 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

While I'm open to all types of Kinky shit, it doesn't mean I exactly feel the Horn's with this type of Kinky shit xoD , and surely I don't want to read a 50> VN just to see pee...

It took me 20-25 hours at a good reading speed. The only reason it could take longer, is during the fights, where they explain in painful detail, how each sword moves. Think of it as the world's worst blow-by-blow. Adding to that, you are forced to spend several seconds between each line of text in these fights with crappy animation slashes going across your screen. Cool the first few times, not so much after the first few hundred.

As you just finished Fate, the whole VN took me about as much time as heaven's feel in Fate 

Edited by Akshay

Just now, Akshay said:

It took me 20-25 hours at a good reading speed. The only reason it could take longer, is during the fights, where they explain in painful detail, how each sword moves. Think of it as the world's worst blow-by-blow. Adding to that, you are forced to spend several seconds between each line of text in these fights with crappy animation slashes going across your screen. Cool the first few times, not so much after the first few hundred.

As you just finished Fate, the whole VN took me about as much time as heaven's feel in Fate 

HF took my like 20h? Since I also made every combination of choice, played with all variables and also got all endings, Including both variations of the Normal End.

From what you metioned it seems like a painful reading... also if the VN is 20h-25h why does VNDB describes it as a 50h+ VN (I remember there's even an achievement for "playing" the game for 30h). I couldn't even finish Sakura Shrine Grills (5h VN) 'cause of the boredom xoD, I also have to chose which VNs I read carefully since I don't as much freetime as I wished...  

Hmm... I would suggest Tokyo Babel. It is the closest thing to DI I know in terms of characters power scale... I would describe as much much better version of Ayakashibito and without h-scenes (which Ayakashibito was full of).

Next suggestions, Umineko. I personally consider it to be the best VN out there. Even if you don't like, it is a legend for a reason (plus it will take you about 150 hours to finish  it aka a lot of reading).

People already recommended Fate/Stay Night, so I merely join that group.

On 10/30/2017 at 12:26 AM, Tamaki Sakura said:

I heard the Yoake patch was super outdated and far from the final product. Not sure if it's worth reading like that, though it does look like a fun time

I did want to recommend Soukoku no Arterial here since it had almost same atmosphere as Shin Megami Tensei, but unfortunately it's only machine translated and very bad at that so I couldn't here.

Anyway, as for the recommendation here I think 11eyes should be good if you want lighter chuunige compared to Dies Irae, and so does with Koiken Otome. Since you already read Noble Works here, then I would suggest you to try Dracu Riot as well. For the last recommendations here then I would suggest you to try Saku SakuWagahigh and HatsuKoi if you interested. Hope those recommendation would be help, and sorry for late here.

• 3 weeks later...