Deceitful protanogist?

Silvz

This is not a recomendation thread, rather, a curiosity of mine.

We've seen in VNs many ways of decieving the reader during the game. Series like

Zero Escape, Ever17, Umineko, Symphonic Rain

are great for playing tricks with our perception and attention to small details. The creators decieve the readers before revealling how stupid we are for not figuring it out before.

But I was wondering: what if we have been fooled not only by the game, but by the protagonist? A first person protagonist, our famous MC. What if the story is written in a way where the character knows something but doesn't allow the reader to learn?

Can you guys think of any examples of VNs like this? Where the Main Character decieves the reader in order of a big reveal in the game? If you do know, explain a little what happens (in spoiler tags)

EDIT: Actually, I thought of a somewhat example of it:

In Fata Morgana, you don't know who you are or where you are, so the whole narration is done by the maid. She tells many stories in order to make you believe you are someone that you actually not. Since you could not contest her, the reader and "you" almost believe her.

Not exacly what I am looking for, but it is still similar to what I seek.

Edited by Silvz

14 hours ago, Benji Price said:

G-Senjou could fit that criteria. Although the story is told not only by the MC alone, but the antagonist as well. Still, I highly recommend it. There is indeed a great reveal in late game.

I'd say G-Senjou is more about the writer trying to decieve us, not the protagonist. Poor him didn't know either.

14 hours ago, PapaRabbi said:

I feel like specifically looking for VNs like this kind of ruins the twist. If you're expecting the plot or the protagonist to be deceiving you, the reveal won't have as much impact. It's always better if the twist is a surprise.

I believe I have gone through the majority of the translated ones I intended to play, so hardly I'll get any spoilers I really don't want to. And I cannot read Japanese, so knowing about them wouldn't be a problem :D

13 hours ago, Akshay said:

Doki-Doki.

how?

11 hours ago, Clephas said:

Hotel. 

Nanairo Reincarnation

how? 2

10 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Sharin no Kuni

Reveal hidden contents

The thing about the sister of the protagonist.

Haven't read this one yet, I'm waiting for the official release. Could you detail what happens?

8 hours ago, onorub said:

Divi-Dead

Reveal hidden contents

Protagonist got killed in the opening and is currently possessing one of the main villains.

But do you (reader) know what is happening? Or you think you are someone and then you find out about this?

3 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

There's one recent release that comes to mind but the reveal is so fucking good that I'll lay off mentioning it.

Doki Doki Literature Club? IDK, everybody is bringing this one up - I've read it, but I don't think it'd fit this criteria

4 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Haven't read this one yet, I'm waiting for the official release. Could you detail what happens?

Just that is already a spoiler, but alas. Further spoilers below. Please play the game instead.

Spoiler

Throughout the game the law prohibits the protagonist (or anyone) to acknowledge his sister's existence, but she was with him the whole time and there is evidence for such. Further spoilers:

Spoiler

For instance, he carries in his baggage female underwear, and he mutters to himself (delusionally, we thought) a lot.

There's also at least one other instance where the protagonist deceives us.

7 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Doki Doki Literature Club? IDK, everybody is bringing this one up - I've read it, but I don't think it'd fit this criteria

I don't believe Funyarinpa is talking about Doki-Doki. I'll reveal it in spoilers, but honestly, I don't recommend anyone to see the spoilers.

Spoiler

It's about the Danganronpa series. Huge spoilers below for what exactly happens. Please don't read these. Just play the games.

Spoiler

The culprit of the first case is the protagonist, but she cleverly hid it from us.

1 hour ago, Silvz said:

how? 2

Do you actually want me to spoil this for you?  In both games, the secret is vital to the experience.  If you really want to know...

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR Nanairo Reincarnation and Hotel.

Spoiler

Hotel. - In the final path/grand ending, you find out the entire story was told from the point of view of the hotel's cat, rather than the amnesiac main male character.

Nanairo Reincarnation - The protagonist, his oni, and Iyo, throughout the game, dance around the fact that Kotori is a ghost, never openly mentioning the fact that she is dead until her corpse is discovered and she is forced to come face to face with her own death.  Even in the protagonist's internal monologues, it is never hinted at that Kotori is dead, though there are clues spread throughout the story that you can see in retrospect.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Just that is already a spoiler, but alas. Further spoilers below. Please play the game instead.

Reveal hidden contents

Throughout the game the law prohibits the protagonist (or anyone) to acknowledge his sister's existence, but she was with him the whole time and there is evidence for such. Further spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

For instance, he carries in his baggage female underwear, and he mutters to himself (delusionally, we thought) a lot.

There's also at least one other instance where the protagonist deceives us.

I don't believe Funyarinpa is talking about Doki-Doki. I'll reveal it in spoilers, but honestly, I don't recommend anyone to see the spoilers.

Hide contents

It's about the Danganronpa series. Huge spoilers below for what exactly happens. Please don't read these. Just play the games.

Reveal hidden contents

The culprit of the first case is the protagonist, but she cleverly hid it from us.

Thanks god you told me it was about Danganronpa, since I still have to finish the second game - and watch the anime, play the spin off and the third game.

And no, I don't mind the spoilers for the other games. Keep going, guys. :D Btw Nanairo Reincarnation seems to be really good.

Edited by Silvz