Devils Devil Concept - Translation Helps?

aho-sama

Hey! I don't know if this is the right place to do it, but...

I want to translate Devils Devil Concept. I don't know japanese, just engine tools and hacking.

I know that's strange made a "recruitment" here, but if someone that knows japanese wants to translate, contact me in this forum!

I have the scripts extracted already.

Hello!

A very similar thread was made recently, so I'l basically l only say what was discussed there.

It is really good that you have the will of working on a project of translation. However, translating a game is a very, very hard work that requires a lot of dedication. Because of that, it'll probably be hard, if not impossible, for you to find a translator who wants to join.

The best option is for you, as a hacker, join an already existing project of another game, as hacking may be a problem to many fan translators. Maybe these groups, after their translations, decide to start a new one with this game.

I do hope you are successful with this.

Edited by Silvz
oops, misplaced adverb

DDC is one of the top ten games on my list... for being hard to translate.  I'm sorry, but, considering its length and the fact that large portions of the game are difficult to read, much less translate... I honestly can't see any of the fan groups taking it on. 

Edit: To be clear, Dies Irae is about on the same level linguistically as this one at their hardest points, and it got translated... but Devils Devel Concept is even more niche than Dies Irae.  The people who like it, love it... but the rest would probably drop the game after the prologue.  I love the game, but I only suggest it to people I think will like it or who have asked for something similar. 

Edited by Clephas

• 3 weeks later...

Devil's Devel Concept was, apparently, the subject of a patch attempt several years ago that got to about 20% or so, before the project was killed via a C&D.  VNDB says so, but there's also proof here  (via Wayback) that the developers really did ask for the project to be stopped.  It's unfortunate, but if the game was the subject of a previously C&D'ed patch attempt, you should probably give up.

First of all, the developers made it clear they don't want it patched, and it's their IP.  (They apparently asked nicely, but honestly, even if they didn't, it's theirs.)  Second, projects like this are a huge time sink, so there's a decent likelihood the devs get wind of it again and send another C&D and your years of hard work get wasted.  (If you're really unlucky, they might finally be the first company to pull the trigger on filing a lawsuit, if they think someone ignored a C&D.)  Third, your odds of finding good translators are much lower.  There aren't many qualified translators, and while I can't speak for them, it seems likely many are unwilling to join a project that already received a C&D.

Since Clephas bring about Dies Irae in which it was available on Steam, might as well mentioned that it's impossible to get it on Steam because of various disturbing sexual content. Or so that's what I would thought if not for the fact that Subahibi with some infamy in regard of disturbing sexual sex content managed to enter Steam, although to be fair we need the patch to fully enjoy Subahibi and even then one of the disturbing sex contents was censored. But still considering that nowadays many publisher like using Steam for released VN overseas while Steam itself have some regulation in regard of explicit sexual content, I think it would be hard for Devil Devel Concept (DDC) to entering Steam and not to mention that DDC itself was less popular compared to both of either Subahibi or Dies Irae. For the after mentioned 18+ patch like Subahibi, well Steam did have new regulation in regard of that and it mean that there would be some more negotiation to allowed Steam to release DDC with 18+, in which it might be too much work for the publisher and the sales result might be not worth the effort.

Keep in mind that all above just my opinion and I might be wrong in regard of that.

Edited by littleshogun

I would love to see DDC in english from what I've read up to the start of Mei's route. I really like the story and lore (what I could understand of it), but reading it really shows my limits of Japanese literacy since I need a dictionary handy when playing and (ignoring the C&D issue) I can't see anyone with the skills to properly translate it doing it for free.

As for the possibility of DDC getting a Steam release...it "might" be possible if you make Kanata's "other" route inaccessible without a patch since that's where the darker ero content is concentrated, though it'll still read weird considering the heroines' h scenes are spread throughout their routes and do factor into the relationship growth with Sora.