Curious about the difference between the r18 and non-r18 versions of Dies Irae

Mugi

Aside from the obvious lack of r18 content, does it add anything in to replace it? Have only read a few hours since I was holding out for the r18 patch, but they clearly don't care about releasing it so i'm about to just say screw it and read the censored version. It then occurred to me that this version could potentially be better, assuming they added something else of value in place of the cut content.

I just want to read this already, man :notlikemiya:

The patch is in the final state of debugging, so it should be out soon-ish. Hopefully within a month.

As for what they did to replace the 18+ scenes, they created entierly new all-ages replacement scenes, and I have heard they are actually quite good. In fact, most people seem to say that reading both the 18+ ver. and the all-ages ver. of said scenes would be the best solution, as each version of the scenes adds something the other does not.

If you are so hyped you don't feel like waiting anymore, I'd say just read the steam version, then go back for the 18+ scenes when the patch is out. You shouldn't miss out on much at all, as everything except H-scenes and straight up nudity is still 100% intact in the steam ver. And you will be seeing the all-ages replacement scenes in the place of 18+ scenes, so you'll actually be reading some unique stuff you wouldn't see if you just read the 18+ ver.

I'm personally going to wait for the patch, then read the all-ages scenes after, but there is nothing wrong with doing it the other way if you are tired of waiting.

7 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

The patch is in the final state of debugging, so it should be out soon-ish. Hopefully within a month.

As for what they did to replace the 18+ scenes, they created entierly new all-ages replacement scenes, and I have heard they are actually quite good. In fact, most people seem to say that reading both the 18+ ver. and the all-ages ver. of said scenes would be the best solution, as each version of the scenes adds something the other does not.

If you are so hyped you don't feel like waiting anymore, I'd say just read the steam version, then go back for the 18+ scenes when the patch is out. You shouldn't miss out on much at all, as everything except H-scenes and straight up nudity is still 100% intact in the steam ver. And you will be seeing the all-ages replacement scenes in the place of 18+ scenes, so you'll actually be reading some unique stuff you wouldn't see if you just read the 18+ ver.

I'm personally going to wait for the patch, then read the all-ages scenes after, but there is nothing wrong with doing it the other way if you are tired of waiting.

Thing is, I also recall hearing that some of the sex scenes are also pretty plot relevant. Deciding whether to read it or not is a struggle :amane:

Generally speaking, I suggest reading both the ero and the non-ero versions of the same part of the game.  The ero parts of Kei's path are pretty laugh-worthy (her h-scenes are so weirdly combative that it made me nearly fall out of my chair laughing when I read it), for instance...

15 hours ago, Mugi said:

Thing is, I also recall hearing that some of the sex scenes are also pretty plot relevant. Deciding whether to read it or not is a struggle :amane:

They're not. Well, you could make a case for one or two but not enough to really matter at the end of the day.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2017 at 1:54 PM, Clephas said:

Generally speaking, I suggest reading both the ero and the non-ero versions of the same part of the game.  The ero parts of Kei's path are pretty laugh-worthy (her h-scenes are so weirdly combative that it made me nearly fall out of my chair laughing when I read it), for instance...

You mean at the beginning of her route? I agree that it was quite funny when both Kei and Ren said 'baka' to each other while suck each other blood, because after all the blood could be considered as liquid - they only need to exchange the liquid to solve Kei's problem, right?

18 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

isn't this vn way too long to casually read through 2 times in order to see the differences?

I think the part of supposed sex scene should be obvious, considering that they make the replacement scene for PSP version because from what I saw at VNDB they released Amantes Amentes for PSP first. Which ironically make 18+ scenes was unnecessary because they didn't add that to their port to PC. So in the end I think it's okay if you just ignore the 18+ for Dies Irae altogether - another reason was because Light took too much of their time to release that, but if you still curious in regard of H Scenes then go ahead. Oh, and for your answer I would think yes it's pretty long VN if you just want to see H Scenes.

7 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

You mean at the beginning of her route? I agree that it was quite funny when both Kei and Ren said 'baka' to each other while suck each other blood, because after all the blood could be considered as liquid - they only need to exchange the liquid to solve Kei's problem, right?

Do you really think a curse from a witch who used to rape shotas for laughs would be so easily suppressed?  The original version has the curse placed inside her womb.

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

I think the part of supposed sex scene should be obvious, considering that they make the replacement scene for PSP version because from what I saw at VNDB they released Amantes Amentes for PSP first. Which ironically make 18+ scenes was unnecessary because they didn't add that to their port to PC. So in the end I think it's okay if you just ignore the 18+ for Dies Irae altogether - another reason was because Light took too much of their time to release that, but if you still curious in regard of H Scenes then go ahead. Oh, and for your answer I would think yes it's pretty long VN if you just want to see H Scenes.

Only a visual novel which fails to portray any kind of romance through words is better when having h scenes. But if the h scenes are tasteless and completely out of context then they're terrible no matter how you look at it.

4 hours ago, Clephas said:

Do you really think a curse from a witch who used to rape shotas for laughs would be so easily suppressed?  The original version has the curse placed inside her womb.

Well perhaps the sex would be necessary then considering that the curse was placed in the womb. Then again it's just the replacement scenes which were created for PSP version (They need to deal with Sony harsh censorship law after all), and it's what we had at Steam - apparently Light just port it to PC as it is without adding the H Scenes. As for the blood sucking, I think it was used as the replacement for H Scenes that was used in original version if it was a port from PC, starting from Fate Stay Night. In the end even though it might be impossible to just surpress it through the bloodsucking alone, let's just leave that as it is.

PS - This is just my opinion, but to tell the truth it was already pretty out there when we talk about sex as the solution for the curse - it's normal for eroge though lol. Then again, it's Rusalka that we talk about and she was probably place the curse for laugh as well.

On 12/1/2017 at 5:03 AM, Clephas said:

Jumping in this comment to just add that the editing for the all-ages script gets kind of lazy at points, especially with regards to Rusalka's curse. They left the conversation when she places it on Kei mostly unchanged, even though it creates a lot of inconsistencies. Like how Rusalka asks Kei if she's a virgin (why would she do that if the curse had nothing to do with sexual activity?), or near the end where they hint at certain things that Rusalka's doing in the school building at night. 

Specifically with regards to the latter point

In the 18+ version of the game Rusalka turns all of the students into lifeless dolls essentially and at night has continuous orgies with the males. In the all-ages version she just tortures them. When she's talking to Kei she asks her to come to school at night, and that she'll see something that'll make her more 'feminine'. Also you can see remnants of the original scene in the actual replaced sex scene itself. There's a line where Rusalka asks Bey (who watches all of these group fucks completely disinterested, as funny as that sounds) if he wants her to go get some female students for him to play around with. In the torture scene she clearly already had female students present, and even Bey's response implies she was talking about sex, as he says "I'm not about to fuck some subhuman trash"

On 12/6/2017 at 10:56 AM, Chuee said:

Jumping in this comment to just add that the editing for the all-ages script gets kind of lazy at points, especially with regards to Rusalka's curse. They left the conversation when she places it on Kei mostly unchanged, even though it creates a lot of inconsistencies. Like how Rusalka asks Kei if she's a virgin (why would she do that if the curse had nothing to do with sexual activity?), or near the end where they hint at certain things that Rusalka's doing in the school building at night. 

Specifically with regards to the latter point

Reveal hidden contents

In the 18+ version of the game Rusalka turns all of the students into lifeless dolls essentially and at night has continuous orgies with the males. In the all-ages version she just tortures them. When she's talking to Kei she asks her to come to school at night, and that she'll see something that'll make her more 'feminine'. Also you can see remnants of the original scene in the actual replaced sex scene itself. There's a line where Rusalka asks Bey (who watches all of these group fucks completely disinterested, as funny as that sounds) if he wants her to go get some female students for him to play around with. In the torture scene she clearly already had female students present, and even Bey's response implies she was talking about sex, as he says "I'm not about to fuck some subhuman trash"

That's quite interesting to know, and perhaps it would be good to add the sex scene if that was the case. But then again, it still a long time anyway before we could get that patch.

PS - With Rusalka like that at VN, I understand that why she did some dancing with ....interesting postures at episode 8 anime, although it's still not enough explanation though of why she could adjust the body between teenager (Appearence wise) and adult one - perhaps it will be explained in VN later, right?

From the new Kickstarter update:

We deeply apologize for our previous explanations regarding the patch, as it may have caused a misunderstanding amongst our backers.

To clarify, the 18+ patch is not a patch that adds 18+ content to "Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~", but rather an English version of “Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~”. There has never been an 18+ version of “Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~” in Japan or elsewhere.

“Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~” and “Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~” were previously sold separately, but this shall mark the first time these titles will appear together.

Furthermore, we also would like to elucidate on the game's resolution, in which we have also caused much uncertainty through our failure to adequately explain the situation.

The current Steam version of “Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~” can be played at 16:9, however, the English version of “Dies irae ~Acta est Fabula~” (previously described as the 18+ patch) will allow for both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios.

At least there's a reason of why 18+ patch was delayed several times, so it's something I guess and surprisingly we had the patch released back at 15th. That said, after knowing what kind of sex scenes that was happened in Dies Irae I think it's pretty much like new content (After story) vs. old content (Sex scenes), which is pretty much separated release and as for that I think I'm still in favor for the new contents, because I'd heard that some of those side stories were have some interesting closure for Dies Irae. Although if somehow Light get a good idea by adding sex scenes to Amantes Amentes version, then it would be the best edition of Dies Irae for the people who still want to see the H scenes.

So they intentionally were ambiguous about the patch and lied the entire campaign to get some more sales. Pretty shitty move, considering you actually have to play the steam version before patch even works. Light is complete garbage;they had PR fiasco even during the kickstarter (something tapestry related iirc) and it just gets deeper with trust issues like these. 

Edit: The only hope now is the physical version. It's not like that's going to be a half assed patch right? Time to redeem yourself, Light! 

Edited by pual

Okay I didn't really keep up with the news so I would appreciate it if someone explained it to me. This game has two versions, the one with +18 parts and one whitout it which has new scenes instead. The all ages one is considared the most complete version of the game. Originally they said that they will release the second version and a patch. But now they are saying that there is no patch and instead they release the first version of the game as well. Which got released today. So you need to play through both games if you want to see everything? Why are they calling it "18R patch" since it is another release not a patch or is there something I'm missing?

6 hours ago, TheCrimsonFucker said:

Okay I didn't really keep up with the news so I would appreciate it if someone explained it to me. This game has two versions, the one with +18 parts and one whitout it which has new scenes instead. The all ages one is considared the most complete version of the game. Originally they said that they will release the second version and a patch. But now they are saying that there is no patch and instead they release the first version of the game as well. Which got released today. So you need to play through both games if you want to see everything? Why are they calling it "18R patch" since it is another release not a patch or is there something I'm missing?

As it turned out in the end, the thing they released today is a patch that adds the h-scenes to the Steam version but deletes the additional scenes. And yes, you need to play both versions to get the full experience, though apparently the h-scenes aren't very important, depending on who you ask.

Also, I don't think it's released for anyone but backers yet.