Your top five Favorite MALE characters

Clephas

In this thread, you list your favorite five male VN characters, giving as full a list of their personality traits, skills, abilities, and powers as you can, as well as a short history of them.  

Name: Shigure Sora

VN: Devils Devel Concept

Powers/abilities/skills/talentsInfinite Branching (the ability, or affliction, to see all the potential paths of your own future, waking or sleeping, and pick one which then becomes absolute fate for the current timeline), Invasion/Corruption/Violation (The basic ability of all Enja and Demons, which allows them to corrupt reality in various ways, molding it to suit their unique abilities and skills based on the Devils Organs they possess.  Demons often use this ability to strip normal humans of their humanity and make them into cannibalistic Dolls), Tracing (A Devils Organ that allows the user to 'trace' the organs and fighting styles of an opponent.  In its un-corrupt form, it is capable of allowing the user to mimic a physical form.  All gained abilities and Organs are permanent, and the only Organs that cannot be copied are the Ro).  High Intelligence (Sora is, at the very least, at genius-level intelligence).  Invulnerability to poisons, diseases, and toxins (at some point in the past, Sora copied an Organ that gives him invulnerability to all poisons, diseases, and toxins, allowing him to expel them from his mouth in masses of foreign material).  Martial Arts Skill (Sora was given instruction in martial arts by his uncle on his mother's side, and he has enough skill to dismember a human being even without using his powers).  Extremely High Pain Tolerance (Sora is not invulnerable to pain, but beyond a certain point it merely stimulates his battle instincts, transforming into a brutal, aggressive sort of pleasure).  Soukoku (a term for compatibility between various Enja.  This compatibility tends to be extreme, with incompatible individuals trying to kill one another on sight and compatible ones tending to fall into bed or become friends on a moment's notice.  In Sora's case, his changes upon his personal attitude toward the individual in question, and those he likes inevitably love or like him, and those he dislikes inevitably are terrified of him)

Spoiler

The Arms of Blue (the arms of the Original Blue Demon were used to resurrect him after his death upon defeating the Queen of all Blue Demons.  Their instinctive hatred of the demons who killed the original owner strengthens his already overwhelming bloodlust, and he possesses both an immeasurably large 'recognition field' - the area an individual demon or Enja can comprehend and manipulate - and a near infinite amount of power as a result.

Personality Traits: Indifferent, lustful, sadistic, masochistic, cruel, kind, cold, philosophical, intelligent, battle-loving, bloodlust, obsession.

History: The sole survivor of the 'Genryuu' bloodline of the Enja (Demon Hunters).  At a young age, he witnessed the assassination of his parents at the hands of a masked attacker and was taken in by his mother's sister and brother-in-law.  Like most Enja, he is emotionally distant and fundamentally amoral, and unlike most Enja, he is quite literally incapable of a number of human emotions (romantic love, sympathy or empathy for those he isn't already attached to).  He is also capable of a sort of roundabout (and cruel) kindness, that is usually framed with a philosophical lecture on why the individual in question is worrying about the wrong thing.  He is bound by a 'contract' to kill all Demons he finds on sight, regardless of the possibility of victory or what he is doing at the time.  He takes the concept of a 'contract' seriously, to the point of defining all his actions and interactions with others on the basis of that term.  He has had sexual relations with numerous women, whom he (falsely) believes he raped... and who are all in love with him/obsessed with him.  His only human friend is Shinnosuke, a normal kid with a normal kid's problems who sticks with him regardless of how he is seen by others.  In the past, he 'disassembled' and resurrected all of his school's delinquents for reasons he doesn't care to mention, and as a result, the older ones and those of the same age are terrified of him.  He is unaware of/disinterested in the way the other Enja alternately want him under their influence, want him dead, or want him in bed (though that last one seems to change person to person).  He lives alone in his family's home, occasionally visited by a nameless white cat, smoking the leftover cigarettes left in the house.

Name: Narita Shinri (Mikado Shunsui)

VN: Hello, Lady

Powers/Abilities/Skills/Talents: High intelligence (while many dislike Narita on sight, it is undeniable that few can match his brilliance and mental agility), Combat training (Whether it is martial arts, the use of the gun, or Parkour, there is little in the way of combat-related fields that he hasn't mastered), Hamlet (the name for his Halo's type.  His Halo allows him to verbally imprint instructions into the brain of an individual whose eyes he has met.  These instructions are impossible to distinguish from the individual's own thoughts and tendencies, and the ability can only be dispelled by his act of will, lingering even beyond his death).  Scheming (He is very skilled at using his high intelligence to draw people into traps of their own making, and he has no qualms whatsoever about destroying his enemies in this manner).  Facade  (he is highly skilled at concealing his emotions, though he tends to deliberately not do so at times with those he admires).  Charismatic (while many dislike him on first meeting, people of vision tend to fall for him easily).  Meditation (He is capable through specialized breathing methodologies and mental disciplines of reducing his need for sleep and evening out spikes of emotion).

Personality: Vindictive to the extreme, kind-hearted, compassionate, wise, independent, intelligent, scheming, pragmatic, ruthless, deliberately emotional, openly perverted, arrogant with cause.

History: As a young man, his family was massacred by members of the same clan.  As a result, he was forced to discard his original name (Shunsui) and was picked up by an aging mercenary who was infamous in the underworld of spy games and proxy wars of the Cold War era, who then taught him his combat skills and left him the money he decided to use for his revenge.  He enters the Tenkawa Noble School for the sole purpose of avenging himself on the individuals responsible for the deaths of those he loved. 

Name: Shiranui Yoshikazu

VN: Evolimit

Abilities/Talents/Powers/Skills: Astronaut Training (He is fully trained as an astronaut, terraforming colonist, and generalized researcher, though he has no degree).  Martial Arts (He was trained in martial arts by Shannon Wordsworth and actually became quite skilled in it, though he cannot be said to be a true master).  Kokoro (He can converse with the disembodied spirit of the girl whose heart beats in his chest.  She often serves as a - far wiser - sounding board for him, and her concern for him is often a lifeline in various situations.  She is able to exist inside him at the cost of his ability to feel sorrow).  Patch (A mysterious stone that grants immense physical abilities, the ability to survive in the harsh conditions on Mars, and allows access to a unique ability.  In times of extremity, it also allows the individual it is implanted in to evolve, altering even his fundamental physical nature).  Flame Control/Creation (the ability he gained by implanting his Patch). 

Personality: Kind-hearted, loving, compassionate, brave, openly perverted, persistent, self-sacrificing, cannot understand sorrow (and thus can't feel real empathy for the emotion), passionate.

History: As a young child, he suffered from heart disease, which would have normally condemned him to an early death.  However, a sudden donor saved his life, leaving him at loose ends.  He then encountered Kokoro in his dreams and gave over his ability to feel sorrow in order to allow her to live within him.  Having no dream of his own, he saw it as his duty to fulfill Kokoro's dream of going to Mars and worked hard, pushing himself beyond most normal limits to gain a spot on the Japanese part of the crew, along with Shizuku.  He and Shizuku formed a close bond of friendship and camaraderie during the testing and training periods, and together they were found in cold sleep capsules a century after the collapse of the first colonization effort, whereupon they agreed to join the new society (born from the second effort).  While he is often ebullient and outgoing, his natural tendency is to accommodate his partners and friends where matters don't infringe on his personal boundaries.  Despite his apparently foolish behavior at times, he is actually quite intelligent (he had to be, to pass the tests to get on the colonization project).

Name: Zephyr Colerain

VN: Silverio Vendetta

Skills/Abilities/Talents/Powers: Personality gap (While his normally lazy, cowardly, hedonistic, and generally pessimistic, when he is cornered he transforms into a murderous killer who will use any means at his disposal - ranging from his powers as an Esperanto to insults and emotional manipulation - to kill his enemy, ruthlessly and without remorse).  Esperanto (He is an enhanced soldier, capable of incredible feats of strength and agility, and he regenerates far more quickly than the average man.).  Vibration Control (His unique Esperanto ability allows him to manipulate vibrations - ranging from resonance with physical matter to microwaves).  Unmatched Assassin (There is literally no more skilled assassin within the setting.  His cowardly nature and ruthlessness when cornered ironically made him an ideal silent killer once trained.  His willingness to use the dirtiest of tactics without hesitation further enhanced this ability.)

Personality: Cowardly, loving, normal, vicious, pragmatic, self-centered, hates and admires glory-seekers, hedonistic, procrastinator, likes to destroy those more capable than himself (think male version of Rusalka from Dies Irae in some ways).

History: Born in the violent slums of Adler, when his sister vanished he joined the army and was found to be compatible with the Esperanto enhancement surgery.  As he proved to be a perfect spy, assassin, and saboteur, he ended up assigned as an adjunct to Chitose (the head of Libra, the internal affairs part of Adler's army), where he became known as Lucallion (apparently meaning silver wolf in one of the local dialects).  Just before the Disaster, he was assigned as a bodyguard to Millia's family, and during the disaster he deserted the army, taking Millia with him and destroying Chitose's eye.  Since then, he has stayed hidden in the capital, carrying out odd jobs for the Oligarchy's representative and the Red Light District's Madame Eve. 

Name: Kashima Toshirou

VN: Vermilion Bind of Blood

Powers/Abilities/Skills/TalentsVampirism (As one of the undead, Toshirou can only be reliably killed by destroying his heart, and as long as he has drunk blood recently he will regenerate from just about any wound.  He is also many times stronger, faster, and more agile than any human.).  Lack of Arrogance (there isn't a scrap of arrogance or overconfidence in Toshirou's nature.  He is seemingly invulnerable to the instincts that drive  most vampires to disregard humans and believe older vampires will automatically defeat younger ones).  Master of the Sword (Even in life, Toshirou was a skilled swordsman, but he continued to train himself both in battle and otherwise after discarding his humanity - once again distinguishing himself from other vampires - becoming an unmatched master of combat with the blade.).  Midnight Blue (Toshirou's unique ability as a vampire, allowing him to control magnetism through his blood, enhancing the cutting edge and protecting his sword from damage while accelerating or slowing his own body relative to magnetic metals present).  Craftiness (Toshirou is unique amongst vampires for using a Hunter-like method against his enemies, using feints and tricks to support his raw power).  Patience (Toshirou has no lack of patience, and this quality sometimes allows him to defeat enemies that would normally be beyond him). 

Personality: Patient, cold, pragmatic, crafty, cunning, ruthless, compassionate, self-aware, stoic.

History: As a human, he served under a daimyo just before the collapse of the Tokugawa.  He was engaged to marry his lord's daughter, Mikage, but when Mikage was instead about to be given to another man, he decapitated his own lord and eloped with Mikage.  Unfortunately, when he tried to stow away on a ship bound for Europe, Mikage was turned by a powerful master vampire and they were tossed back on shore.  For a time, he was able to protect Mikage as a human, but when it became apparent that he would age and die before her, he asked to be turned and she assented.  For a time, he and Mikage survived, fending off offers from other vampires of alliance and membership within a nebulous, half-formed Japanese Diaspora, but that ended when White Pile (Ariya's teacher and predecessor) attacked them, killing Mikage and shooting him in the heart with a silver bullet. 

Spoiler

For a time after that, he rampaged as the infamous Tri-finger, a vampire-killing vampire who killed thousands of his brethren across the world, including several Nobles, before suddenly stopping when he met his current companion. 

He then eventually made his way to Foggy Bottom, where he helped Nina overcome her opponents and consolidate the Diaspora, eventually becoming the Diaspora's Guardian of the Law. 

In no order:

Okabe Rintarou (Steins;Gate) - That VN had one of the best set of characters and he still managed to be the star of the show.

Rance (Sengoku Rance) - The brand of humor used for him might be a little too dark, but i loved his ridiculousness.

Kuki Hideo (MajiKoi) - Loved his ridiculousness and he made for a good antagonist in the early routes of the series.

Emiya Shirou (Fate/Stay Night) - Just because of the way he developed in each route, from blindly following his father, to making his father's path his own, to going against his father's path.

Houzuki Masaomi (Sharin no Kuni) - Entertaining as an antagonist and MC wouldn't be nearly as good without him around.

This is gonna be hard, not a lot of interesting male characters, lots of bland generic dudes who bangs chicks...but hey, i do have some preferences.

Okabe Rintarou (Seriously, who didn't read the VN/watch the anime?)  : WHAAAAA! How surprising, me? liking Okabe? that would never happen! who would actually love such a handsome, merrysome, troublesome...charming, caring, kind weird dude?

It's simple, Okabe doesn't care being a "likable and standard" protag, so he goes the weird way, everything about him is weird, his manners, his way of speech, his friends, but most of all...he's the most humane person i've seen...he fears for his life, for the life of his friends, he is not a hero, he is kinda cowardy, but in a good way, he is not the embodiment of some self insert wish fullfilment, he is a human being with a brain that actually tries to resonate with his world, and tries to actually solve problems, overall, deserves his protag role.

Shuuichi Saihara (Danganronpa V3) : Well...how to say that...ok, here it happens with my preferences, rather than anything i know, i like him, he is your typical weak male character, in a universe of weak and strong characters, and while it is true, when compared to the protag (aka Kaede-chan), he is on the receiving end, rather than the giving one (am i saying he's getting pegged by cute anime grill? i'm pretty sure some doujin of that exists, somewhere), but hey, i do like him, a lot, really a lot.

The M (Shikkoku no Sharnoth) : of all the splendid male characters Sharnoth has...ok, i'm lying, appart from Winston Churchill, the rest were kinda shitty, but M, the M, or anything you wanna name him, is a glory of a character : shady, mysterious, uncaring, uneven, he embodies pragmatism and embrace it to the end, he uses everyone, and everything, in order to achieve his objective, unaware, or maybe completely uncaring of Sebastian Moran's feelings, he seems to love doing what he does, aka exploiting any kind of weakeness in Mary Christie, in order to push her to the direction he wants...but what does he want? that's why i love him, every second of him, i want to know what he thinks, what he wants...he's a complete mystery, and in such, he's great.

That protag dude from Comyu (Comyu) : i forgot his name, but he embodies everything i hate about male characters : he is arrogant, hypocrite, nihilistic, and uncaring of other people's feelings, he is his own world, and as long as he gets what he wants, he won't care of the others, but...well, that's why i like him, he is a fortress, he is complex, he is not generic, he has a pretty shitty personality, but still, it's really great, i love to hate him....it's fucking weird, right, but i love to hate that protag.

1/ Morita Kenichi (Sharin no Kuni) : Yes, he's over-the-top (genius, sports...) but I liked his manipulative, secretive and funny personality.

2/ Okabe Rintarou/Hououin Kyouma (Steins;Gate) : Because behind the mask of the mad scientist/chuunibyouu, there is an endearing, a smart, sensitive and loyal (with his friends) protagonist.

3/ Miles Edgeworth (Phoenix Wright & A.A. Investigations: Miles Edgeworth) : He's simply the best prosecutor ever. And I liked his complicated relationships with his friends/family (ex : Mei/Franziska).

4/ Nikola Tesla (Gahkthun): Too Arrogant, too honest but a real badass. So funny :wahaha:

Spoiler

1508521434-gahkthun001.jpg1508521435-gahkthun004.jpg

5/ Sunohara Youhei (Clannad) : He's just the funniest idiot. Hilarious (except in a big part of Kyou's Route).

Edited by Canicheslayer

5. Tenmyouji (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward). Liked his character: Family and loved ones first, never trust someone who has betrayed you. 

4. Shirogane Takeru (Muv-Luv). Hated him so many times, but he's the protagonist I relate to most by far and his character development is unrivaled.

3. Hakuoro (Utawarerumono). A mature man that is always on top of things was really refreshing when most protagonists are bland teenagers.

2. Okabe Rintarou (Steins Gate). Who can dislike the mad scientist? He has the most character of all protagonists I've seen and his interactions with everyone else on the cast brought out different sides of him. Spoiler for S;G 0 

Him losing his fun mad scientist side was a big reason S;G 0 wasn't as fun to read as the original.

1. Kazami Yuuji (Grisaia series). I dare you to name a protagonist more badass than him (seriously, please name one, I'd love to play another VN with a badass protagonist). His serious side also sometimes caused unintended hilarity where none should be found normally.

9 minutes ago, Not_At_All said:

1. Kazami Yuuji (Grisaia series). I dare you to name a protagonist more badass than him (seriously, please name one, I'd love to play another VN with a badass protagonist). His serious side also sometimes caused unintended hilarity where none should be found normally.

Asagiri Kaito (Akatsuki no Goei series)

Edited by Beichuuka

41 minutes ago, Not_At_All said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Him losing his fun mad scientist side was a big reason S;G 0 wasn't as fun to read as the original.

https://vndb.org/v1308

51 minutes ago, Not_At_All said:

Okay, I'm sure there are quite a few badass characters in the ocean of untranslated VNs, but I can't swim yet, so let me rephrase that: name one in a translated Visual Novel. For now I'll put these two in my wishlist, because they do look quite good.

https://vndb.org/v9205

5 hours ago, Not_At_All said:

Okay, I'm sure there are quite a few badass characters in the ocean of untranslated VNs, but I can't swim yet, so let me rephrase that: name one in a translated Visual Novel. For now I'll put these two in my wishlist, because they do look quite good.

Morita Kenichi from Sharin no Kuni, a better written version of Yuuji IMO (mainly because he had to go up against a better antagonist), but the heroines in the VN are worse.

Edited by onorub

No willpower to make a detailed list, but here I go. In no particular order:

- Kazami Yuuji (Grisaia) : he's badass, but above everything, I just really enjoy his humor and general thoughts.

- "Maou" (G-Senjou no Maou) : his charisma and the way he plays around (while never truly losing to Haru). An absolutely despicable bastard who can still make me root for him.

- Avenger / Angra Mainyu (Fate/Hollow Ataraxia) : I usually like characters who can make fun of anything (including/especially themselves), anywhere. His interaction with Bazett and relationship with Caren (all the World's Evils and a twisted priestess who is also the daughter of an even more twisted priest, what a joke)  are interesting for me. Bonus points for having one of, if not, the most terrible life of any character I've ever known in popular media and how his summoning in the Third Holy Grail War basically doomed the next Holy Grail Wars before they even began.

- Gilgamesh (Fate franchise) : he's an absolute douchebag, but a undeniably respectable douchebag. I actually hated him the first time I read FSN, but he grew on me bit by bit after seeing him other Fate works, such as Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and Fate/Extella, when his overall attitude is less hostile and his hostility aimed towards the antagonists (how he trash talked Archimedes in Fate/Extella is my favorite moment). An ancient overpowered troll king.

- Assassin/Sasaki Kojirou (Fate/Stay Night) : a quiet and composed young man whose sheer swordsmanship made even Lancer hesitant to duel with him and Gilgamesh unwilling to play around with close combat. His mocking tone while remaining as cool and calm as ever is quite entertaining to watch. Also noteworthy is the fact that he pushed back Berserker despite having no way of hurting him and the massive pure power difference between them.

Hmm...Well let's see (None of these are in any particular order)

1. Masato from Little Busters.

He was just a joy to behold throughout the whole game. All of his antics and reactions were wonderful, and I found his pure devotion to all thing muscles to be quite beautiful. The muscle invasion ending was fantastic.

There should have been a Masato route.

2. Emiya from Fate Stay Night.

I liked how we was very much his own character, his own person. He wasn't your typical generic visual novel/anime protag. He had a lot of flaws and could be really fucking dense at times and that is exactly what I liked about him.

3. Hozuki from Shrin No Kuni. I just remembered what an amazing antagonist he was throughout the whole game. He was truly a force to be reckoned with and I loved his voice. He is definitely one of my fav villains period.  I didn't quite like how they explained a lot of his reasons in the fan disc I would have preferred the mystery

4. Tomoya from Clannad

I found I had a lot in common with Tomoya and at the time I really identified with his outlook and general attitude.

5. Reiji from Kara No Shoujo

Even more than Emiya was Reiji was a different character  than almost every visual novel protag. For one thing he is a grown up and has experience in the world.  He wasn't like just your typical high school  boy. Plus he didn't try and  sleep with his sister which was  a nice change of pace!