If My Heart Had Wings Snow Presents translation

ratboi

I have been planning to this for a while, I know no Japanese, So I am using VNR and basically converting the sentances to make sense. Would anyone be interested in helping out with this? I also have limited knowledge in hacking so yeah thats a problem haha

Please don't even try with machine mangulation. The world needs less of this, preferably none of it. It's virtually impossible to find a translator that will magically have enough enthusiasm for your personal project to join  you especially when you have zero historical credibility or resources. The amount of work involved for the translator is insane and they need to be passionate about it themselves or there is zero chance of them translating any significant amount of it.

Approach a project the other way around - find a translator that's interested in a game and help them out.

57 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Please don't even try with machine mangulation. The world needs less of this, preferably none of it. It's virtually impossible to find a translator that will magically have enough enthusiasm for your personal project to join  you especially when you have zero historical credibility or resources. The amount of work involved for the translator is insane and they need to be passionate about it themselves or there is zero chance of them translating any significant amount of it.

Approach a project the other way around - find a translator that's interested in a game and help them out.

I see no issue with people doing machine edited translations. If there was someone interested in translating this it would have already happened or be in the process of getting worked on. If I had to choose between reading a machine translation or a machine edited translation I'd choose the edited one any day.

I wish you the best of luck ratboi, please don't listen to all the negative people. There are plenty of people who will appreciate the time and effort you put into it if you can finish it.

28 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

I see no issue with people doing machine edited translations. If there was someone interested in translating this it would have already happened or be in the process of getting worked on. If I had to choose between reading a machine translation or a machine edited translation I'd choose the edited one any day.

I wish you the best of luck ratboi, please don't listen to all the negative people. There are plenty of people who will appreciate the time and effort you put into it if you can finish it.

machine translations tend to be very inaccurate as its almost as bad as plugging the thing into Google translate

you can see where its coming from

27 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

I would prefer a real translated, TLC'ed and edit patch.... MTL doesn't bring anything good. you will only convey the store about 25% most.. It will have weird gaps or doesn't flow correctly. In short you are destroying a work where a few ppl put their heart and soul into making the game. and you are now spitting in their face with disgusting machine translations. You should be ashamed of yourself to encourage this type of behavior! 

32 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

He stated he has zero knowledge about the source language. What you'd have here is not a translation, but some beautiful gibberish, which would probably do worst than better to the game and the readers. How would he know if his editing is correct when he doesn't understand what is written there?

Ratboi, you should at least get to know how Japanese works in terms of sentence structure before going through the game with a machine translation. And I seriously suggest you to drop this idea of editing the game and just enjoy it by yourself.

1 minute ago, Akimoto Masato said:

machine translations tend to be very inaccurate as its almost as bad as plugging the thing into Google translate

you can see where its coming from

An edited machine translation takes the "potentially" bad translations and makes it readable. So instead of trying to decipher the damn sentence, someone has been kind enough to decipher it for you. It makes reading the VN flow much better. Most people who would read machine translations with things like VNR and don't know Japanese(such as myself) would prefer an edited one.

1 minute ago, Asonn said:

I would prefer a real translated, TLC'ed and edit patch.... MTL doesn't bring anything good. you will only convey the store about 25% most.. It will have weird gaps or doesn't flow correctly. In short you are destroying a work where a few ppl put their heart and soul into making the game. and you are now spitting in their face with disgusting machine translations. You should be ashamed of yourself to encourage this type of behavior! 

Who wouldn't prefer a real translation? But the truth of the matter is MANY VNs out their will never receive a proper translation and for people who can't read Japanese an edited machine translation is often the next best option.. Edited machine translations can bring some good things. For 1 it increases awareness of a VN which could potentially lead to a a real translation project. If the devs don't want their faces to be spit in they could just get it localized themselves. Else they can go suck a f*cking nut(to put it nicely :rolleyes:).

I suppose at least it's a fandisk and fandisks generally do focus more on the "dick in girl" thing.

Actually, looking it up on VNDB it's really short.
If you can get some decent proofreaders you could probably get away with edited machine translation.
Expect major backlash from Kotori fans tho.

Edited by Beichuuka

3 minutes ago, Beichuuka said:

I suppose at least it's a fandisk and fandisks generally do focus more on the "dick in girl" thing.

Actually, looking it up on VNDB it's really short.
If you can get some decent proofreaders you could probably get away with edited machine translation.
Expect major backlash from Kotori fans tho.

IM A KOTORI FAN AND IM FUCKING PISSED

CRIPPLES WITH EMOTIONS FOR LIFEEEE

So many translations as of lately were machine-based so if OP wants to go the same path, I see no problem, it's not like he is asking real money for it (unlike certain other). Also, I'd seriously reconsider that opinion which some people in the community have about VNs - that they are some kind of holy grail that should never be tainted by any kind of translation (in this case machine translation, but there are also serious whackos that hate when a "kamige" VN gets officially localized so I am speaking in general here).

It's great that you want to help bring unTLed games to western fans, but... a machine TL made by someone who doesn't know any Japanese won't help much at all. You say you will convert the sentences to make sense, but that basically just means you are adding meaning to them yourself. Some machine TLed lines actually make 0 sense compared to the RAW, so in those cases, you will be making up something that could possibly fit by yourself. (And what you add will most likely be completely wrong.) That's not a translation, not at all.

Even an edited machine TL takes a bit of time to make, so you gotta ask yourself: Do you really want to spend your own free time making something that most people won't read? Something that will probably end up angering more fans than pleasing them?

Don't take people's negativity towards this as hate towards you, because that's not what it is, not at all. We're just trying to save you tons of wasted time put into a "translation" that won't be read by 90% of fans. (Not to mention also save that 10% from wasting their time trying to read something that ultimately won't make sense.)

TL;dr: Don't do this. It will just be a waste of time for you and the few people who would read a patch like this.

In my own experience as @ittaku's proofreader (and knowing at least some basic japanese) I can tell for sure that unless you get a motivated translator the outcome won't be not even close to meeting you expectations. Many times I copied the jap text to Google TL and after seeing the difference with Ittaku's work I understood how much the translator work is really worth.

I tried using VNR for some VN, which I know there won't ever be an english version, and I was terribly dissapointed.

I won't tell you not to do it, but at least think that a good TL takes time and lots of affort. If you're willing to commit to that, the rest it's just time.

I read kono oozora snow presents quite some time ago...with machine translation, of course.
Well...there's not much content in terms of storytelling...it's a nice "slice of life" fandisc with too many H scenes.
While I encourage anyone who wants to translate Snow Presents (It's still part of my most favourite VN "franchise"), I'd rather have Flight Diary to be translated.

Anyway, There was a guy who wanted to translate Flight Diary and that translated the first part (the introduction) of Snow Presents...Haven't heard anything from him for a long time, tough. 
You can contact him nontheless...maybe you'll manage to put him back on track with the projects!
https://ryuuichikoyukishi.wordpress.com/

Naah, I think Kotori deserves better than a "Let's get 'frisky' whenever we're alone" kind of relationship. Although I approve Aoi's intentions, I deeply disapprove his methods.
That's why he's one of my most hated VN's Main character ever.

Anyway...this might be OT, but have everyone forgot abot the SweetLove add-on? As long as I know, it's still untranslated...